"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Applejack
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 3813

    #1066
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hmmm....I guess I never thought of allowing women to serve as witnesses for ordinances as "equality", but I suppose this is better.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #1067
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Gotcha. And applejack, he said baby steps. Yeesh.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • clackamascoug
        Banned
        • Dec 2009
        • 9709

        #1068
        What are some other things that women (and men) will be able to do - that they aren't doing now?

        How about Young Women passing the sacrament, or men serving as Primary President? Are these traditional - or a blasphemy before The Lord?

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37996

          #1069
          Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          Another snowflake in the snowstorm.
          I agree. Its really coming down now!! Practically a blizzard! Welcome back funks!

          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Bo Diddley
            Senior
            • Jul 2012
            • 18808

            #1070
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I agree. Its really coming down now!! Practically a blizzard! Welcome back funks!

            Heh. That's kind of how I read it too.

            Comment

            • LVAllen
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2013
              • 3279

              #1071
              Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              Hmmm....I guess I never thought of allowing women to serve as witnesses for ordinances as "equality", but I suppose this is better.
              With every removal of an arbitrary distinction, the inequality decreases. Once the arbitrary distinctions are gone, we can have a real conversation about how gender actually affects service in the Lord's church.

              Comment

              • LVAllen
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 3279

                #1072
                Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                What are some other things that women (and men) will be able to do - that they aren't doing now?

                How about Young Women passing the sacrament, or men serving as Primary President? Are these traditional - or a blasphemy before The Lord?
                Define "traditional." If that means "occurred regularly in Grandpa's time," well, the first one happened in the 40s. And again recently: https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018...-mormon-girls/

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #1073
                  Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                  With every removal of an arbitrary distinction, the inequality decreases. Once the arbitrary distinctions are gone, we can have a real conversation about how gender actually affects service in the Lord's church.
                  I agree, in general. I'm not sure that all of the distinctions such as this are in fact arbitrary, as I think they might have been imposed thoughtfully and in good faith. Even so, once we are down to those distinctions that we think are actually doctrinal, then we can have the conversation you suggest.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • Dwight Schr-ute
                    Members Only
                    • May 2011
                    • 4917

                    #1074
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    That's cool. A baby step, but definitely in the right direction.
                    Meanwhile. [emoji53]




                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                    Comment

                    • Sullyute
                      a day late/a dollar short
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 3308

                      #1075
                      Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Meanwhile. [emoji53]




                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      No “Q”?! What a bigot!
                      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69742

                        #1076
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        Meanwhile. [emoji53]
                        Oy vey!
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • clackamascoug
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 9709

                          #1077
                          Since we're talking here - can somebody tell me what a queer is? The mystery Q. I got the L, G, B, and T .... but I don't really understand the definition of a queer. What do they do that's so special they get their own letter.

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #1078
                            There are several medical conditions that are a challenge to binary sex determination at birth:

                            5α-Reductase deficiency
                            Androgen insensitivity syndrome
                            Ambiguous genitalia
                            True cases of hermaphrodism
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            • LVAllen
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 3279

                              #1079
                              L = woman sexually attracted to women.
                              G = man sexually attracted to men.
                              B = someone attracted o both men and women.
                              T = someone whose gender identity does match biology
                              Q = ??. Literally. Sometimes Questioning is used instead. They don't put themselves in any of the above, or they don't know, but they don't think they are hetero.

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18762

                                #1080
                                Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                Since we're talking here - can somebody tell me what a queer is? The mystery Q. I got the L, G, B, and T .... but I don't really understand the definition of a queer. What do they do that's so special they get their own letter.
                                The way you are asking this question comes off as really insincere, so I wouldn't expect a sincere response.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...