Question for the CUF Ladies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #16
    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    We lived in Fiddler's canyon for 5 years.
    LOL...I wasn't asking what ward, although that's interesting to know. I've thought that our current ward is about as bad as that kind of thing gets. Lots of old Cedar City blood here.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • Jarid in Cedar
      CS Institutional Memory
      • Jun 2009
      • 13234

      #17
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      LOL...I wasn't asking what ward, although that's interesting to know. I've thought that our current ward is about as bad as that kind of thing gets. Lots of old Cedar City blood here.
      The current ward is a little older group of women compared to our last one, which contained a ton of students in Kensington Apts who were in their 20's with 1 kid.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

      -Rick Majerus

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #18
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Thanks for sharing that JohnnyLingo. I always appreciate your comments and look forward to your future participation on CUF!
        A+!
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • SloanHater
          Banned
          • Feb 2009
          • 1348

          #19
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I don't understand the dilemma.

          Your working wife with no children is surprised that she doesn't have a lot of daily social commonalities with women that are SAHMs raising children? And she is discouraged because these women talk about their activities and their experiences raising children, yet don't seem to take much interest in the goings on in a single person's life?

          Is your wife annoyed that she doesn't have a lot in common with the Laurels in your ward, as well? Both groups are one step removed from your wife's current station.

          Personally I am not sure anything can be done, short of moving, having your own children, or accepting the fact that single/DINK/SIK are all vastly different social stations in the informal Church social structure.

          She does have a lot in common with the other women in the ward. That is what is so discouraging to her. Due to shared morals and beliefs, she has more in common with the Mommy Club than many of her co-workers who by contrast share many of the same daily social commonalities.

          I petitioned help from the female mind because I was only able to come to the same conclusions as you.
          Last edited by SloanHater; 07-16-2009, 03:38 PM.

          Comment

          • Color Me Badd Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 12519

            #20
            Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
            She does have a lot in common with the other women in the ward. That is what is so discouraging to her. Due to the similarities in morals and beliefs she has more in common with the Mommy Club than many of her co-workers who by contrast share many of the same daily social commonalities.

            I petitioned help from the female mind because I was only able to come to the same conclusions as you.
            Do any of these women work? Your wife works and these women do not. Your wife is akin to an illegal alien to them. If they're like my sister and sister-in-law (mostly my SIL), then most of their topics of discussion concern either the Pottery Barn, how much money/things so and so has, or how scroungy someone else's kids are.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

            Comment

            • Soccermom
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 4063

              #21
              I don't have any answers Sloan Hater. I have four kids, am always included in the Mommy Club, and quite frankly, have only been in two wards thus far in my "mom" life where I enjoyed the moms in the club. I don't think your wife is missing out on much. I tend to skip most of the activities, or if I go, it is mostly for the benefit of the children. Not to say that I don't enjoy the moms at all, but see better uses for my time.

              Having said that, even being a member of the club, I read about gatherings on Facebook that I was not invited to. My reaction? Big deal. I can't be invited to everything. Now if my kids are excluded from something, that is a different story.

              One thing I have done that has helped me in the last few months is branch out and do more with non-member neighbors and acquaintances. I am having a blast with them. Also, I find I get more enjoyment and meet more interesting friends who are unique and diverse by befriending people at church that may not be my same age, and may not be in one of the cliques, but are great friends to have.

              Sorry I can't be more help.

              Comment

              • RobinFinderson
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 10548

                #22
                Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
                She does have a lot in common with the other women in the ward. That is what is so discouraging to her. Due to shared morals and beliefs, she has more in common with the Mommy Club than many of her co-workers who by contrast share many of the same daily social commonalities.

                I petitioned help from the female mind because I was only able to come to the same conclusions as you.
                Your wife's co-workers are too immoral to be friends? Wow!

                Comment

                • SloanHater
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 1348

                  #23
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  Your wife's co-workers are too immoral to be friends? Wow!
                  She has plenty of co-workers who are friends. However, her co-workers idea of girls' night out is bar, strip club, bar. My wife doesn't look down at her co-workers in self-righteousness, she simply doesn't feel comfortable in those situations. Hence my wife's desire to belong to an LDS Girls' Club. I'm sorry if I implied otherwise.
                  Last edited by SloanHater; 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM.

                  Comment

                  • mUUser
                    Giggity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 1142

                    #24
                    And I doubt it's likely to change for her. SAHM are simply in a different space than your wife right now. Most members, both male & female simply don't know how to handle, and can't get their head around, a Sister with big career ambitions -- it's incongruent with years & years of teaching that they've heard throughout their church lives.

                    SAHD don't generally have this problem. This is something that really seperates men from women (in the Church) -- most men just want to be left alone, and most women desperately desire to fit in.

                    Don't worry, the older you get, the less she'll (you'll) care. That's my view anyway.

                    Comment

                    • UtahDan
                      *
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14496

                      #25
                      Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
                      Any thoughts or suggestions ?
                      Be fruitful and multiply.

                      Comment

                      • marsupial
                        Mississippi Queen
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3678

                        #26
                        Perhaps your wife could seek out friends outside of work and church. Does she have any hobbies? When my oldest was 9 months old, I quit working and moved halfway across the country. I was in a new ward and I felt like I didn't really click with any of SAHMs. I needed some friends so I joined a running group. Perhaps she could find a club or organization that matches her interests.

                        Also, speaking as a member of the "mommy club," I wouldn't think to invite a woman to playgroup who didn't have kids. I would assume she was busy and not interested. However, if a woman approached me and said, "Hey, I know I don't have kids, but I would still love to be included in your activities so I could get out and socialize with all of you," I would totally start inviting her to things. Perhaps she just needs to let them know that she's interested in joining them.
                        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                        -Teenage Dirtbag

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37986

                          #27
                          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          I drop in. Take the sacrament and go home and watch the Tabernacle choir.
                          Who are is MoTab playing this week? Their last outing was brutal. They need to trade Wilberg and fast. Get some young blood in there.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #28
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Who are is MoTab playing this week? Their last outing was brutal. They need to trade Wilberg and fast. Get some young blood in there.
                            LOL, I am thinking you had responded to the wrong post until I finally got it.

                            Comment

                            • Brian
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 2164

                              #29
                              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                              Why do they need a babysitter for a girls' night out? Can't their husbands stay home and watch the kids?
                              Every ward I've been in, various leadership folks are always making a point to the men to babysit the kids so the wife can go to some RS activity. It's always amazed me that this would need to be emphasized.
                              Are there really men that refuse to watch their kids?
                              I intend to live forever.
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

                              Comment

                              • KillerDog
                                a.k.a. K-dog
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 4196

                                #30
                                I firmly believe that no good can come from being friends with the people in your ward.

                                Comment

                                Working...