Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    No one is arguing that rape is not a serious sin. I don't see anything in that scripture saying that the offender shouldn't be forgiven, though.

Matthew 18:21-22 King James Version (KJV)
    21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
    Ecclesiastes 3

Let's figure out why the system failed so completely and for such a long time first, eh?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Ecclesiastes 3

Let's figure out why the system failed so completely and for such a long time first, eh?
      What, society can only handle one thing at a time?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• GM, I apologize for teasing you about doubling down.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

GM, I apologize for teasing you about doubling down.
          What a giveaway!

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This was a horrible person. It appears he was unfaithful to his wife and his religious commitments on several occaisions, and took advantage of his position of power to prey on the weak. And he obviously led a sad, sad life as a result and the consequences of his selfishness had significantly horrible affects on others, especially the interviewer. That is the saddest part of this tragedy.

I do take issue with her dishonesty to lead him along to get to her real business. I don't think that's okay. And I think she should be willing to put her name on her work. I understand why she might not want to, but I feel she doesn't help her cause by remaining anonomous.

Does anybody really believe that seeking revenge on this predator will bring the interviewer peace of mind? I get it. She's been victimized on at least three occasions by men in her life. I understand the anger and striking out at all "priesthood holders." I just don't believe going down that road, holding onto the anger, seeking and exercising revenge after all these years will bring her peace.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

No one is arguing that rape is not a serious sin. I don't see anything in that scripture saying that the offender shouldn't be forgiven, though.
              I'm also not seeing where people in this thread are saying he shouldn't be forgiven. I'm also not seeing how this relates to your willingness to cast aspersion's on the victim's motivation and character. Shouldn't she also be forgiven?
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                This was a horrible person. It appears he was unfaithful to his wife and his religious commitments on several occaisions, and took advantage of his position of power to prey on the weak. And he obviously led a sad, sad life as a result and the consequences of his selfishness had significantly horrible affects on others, especially the interviewer. That is the saddest part of this tragedy.

I do take issue with her dishonesty to lead him along to get to her real business. I don't think that's okay. And I think she should be willing to put her name on her work. I understand why she might not want to, but I feel she doesn't help her cause by remaining anonomous.

Does anybody really believe that seeking revenge on this predator will bring the interviewer peace of mind? I get it. She's been victimized on at least three occasions by men in her life. I understand the anger and striking out at all "priesthood holders." I just don't believe going down that road, holding onto the anger, seeking and exercising revenge after all these years will bring her peace.
                A wealthy business person rapes your daughter, and you want to confront him. You call the man's personal secretary to make an appointment. "What is this regarding?" you think. hmm, I'll say I'm one of his customers or something. No, that would be a lie. "I'd like to confront him about raping my daughter." "No, sorry, he's not available." "OK, I thought I'd ask. Thanks."

Comment

This was a horrible person. It appears he was unfaithful to his wife and his religious commitments on several occaisions, and took advantage of his position of power to prey on the weak. And he obviously led a sad, sad life as a result and the consequences of his selfishness had significantly horrible affects on others, especially the interviewer. That is the saddest part of this tragedy.

I doubt it will bring her peace, but it might bring some kind of closure. Hopefully it changes how these things are handled in the future.

I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story. Why was this guy not exed? In every case I have seen, the church has shown zero tolerance on this type of thing.

Comment

Well, isn't that what an addiction is?

https://www.asam.org/resources/definition-of-addiction
                    i should have said unwilling.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      A wealthy business person rapes your daughter, and you want to confront him. You call the man's personal secretary to make an appointment. "What is this regarding?" you think. hmm, I'll say I'm one of his customers or something. No, that would be a lie. "I'd like to confront him about raping my daughter." "No, sorry, he's not available." "OK, I thought I'd ask. Thanks."
                      If a wealthy businessperson raped my daughter, I would go to the police. I'd also want to kill him/her.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I doubt it will bring her peace, but it might bring some kind of closure. Hopefully it changes how these things are handled in the future.

I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story. Why was this guy not exed? In every case I have seen, the church has shown zero tolerance on this type of thing.
                        The bit about Elder Asay knowing about the allegation and either (1) doing nothing about it, or (2) privately reprimanding Bishop but letting him continue in his calling is seriously troubling.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If you draw a circle around MBN, and he promises not to cross the line, he'd rather die than break his word.

I actually think she handled herself fairly well. There were times she got fired up, but there were others where she showed considerable restraint. There are lots of good reasons to leak the audio other than vengeance (but you're just assuming that bitchy skank is out for a pound of flesh, right?) for example: 1. So other victims feel empowered to come forward and begin to heal. 2. So the church can assure that it avoids these missteps in the future. 3. "closure", etc., etc.

The fact that you apparently see this as a malicious act of revenge speaks volumes.

Comment

If a wealthy businessperson raped my daughter, I would go to the police. I'd also want to kill him/her.
                            Well now you're starting to think like the victim in this case. Sounds like she went to the police and the church and couldn't get justice.

Comment

• From the "mere speculation" file:

I found it odd that in the same MTC group, he was having personal, discussions with two sex abuse victims who were also in the same group (were they companions)?

I wonder if he reviewed mission applications for mention of past sexual abuse and used that info for grooming purposes.

Comment

The bit about Elder Asay knowing about the allegation and either (1) doing nothing about it, or (2) privately reprimanding Bishop but letting him continue in his calling is seriously troubling.
                                Agreed. Since this was 30 years ago, I tend to believe her account. I wish I could say that things like this don't occur anymore (there is definitely more/better training), but I've been involved in one situation dealing with abuse that was mishandled in the last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X