Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37987

    #391
    Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Her actions shouldn't be criticized, unless she was lying about what he did to her, which she was not.
    How do you know that? Do you have information we don't have?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • MartyFunkhouser
      Disciple of RNGesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 18753

      #392
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Shame on John Dehlin.
      I agree.

      As to the church's statement, why the need to describe her as "this former church member, who served briefly as a missionary." Why the need to throw shade at her, as we know in the LDS culture that leaving early on a mission is often seen as a negative (notice I said often not always). Why the need to include that she is a "former church member," which again will be invalidating of her opinion by many church members. Why not instead state something like "This matter was brought to the attention of the Church in 2010, by a woman who was in the MTC in 1984." The Church's PR is not some mickey mouse operation, those details were included for a reason and sadly, I think it is to add a layer of invalidation to her story.

      Also, interesting that there is no mention in the statement of, you know, his admissions on an audio recording that he did in fact sexually abuse multiple women. All it mentions is his denials in interviews with church leaders.

      So of my hope that the church would learn from this type of thing is tempered by that statement.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #393
        They did a fine job of calling her a former member who served briefly. Sounds like he tried to serve her in his briefs...maybe she came home because, you know, her MTC President tried to rape her and she was traumatized.

        There's nothing wrong, per se, with the Church's clarification, but there's some signifying going on in there too.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • old_gregg
          scaly man fish
          • Nov 2009
          • 16915

          #394
          Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          I agree.

          As to the church's statement, why the need to describe her as "this former church member, who served briefly as a missionary." Why the need to throw shade at her, as we know in the LDS culture that leaving early on a mission is often seen as a negative (notice I said often not always). Why the need to include that she is a "former church member," which again will be invalidating of her opinion by many church members. Why not instead state something like "This matter was brought to the attention of the Church in 2010, by a woman who was in the MTC in 1984." The Church's PR is not some mickey mouse operation, those details were included for a reason and sadly, I think it is to add a layer of invalidation to her story.

          Also, interesting that there is no mention in the statement of, you know, his admissions on an audio recording that he did in fact sexually abuse multiple women. All it mentions is his denials in interviews with church leaders.

          So of my hope that the church would learn from this type of thing is tempered by that statement.
          because it is helpful information regarding her potential motivation.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

          Comment

          • MartyFunkhouser
            Disciple of RNGesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 18753

            #395
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            How, exactly, do you know this? You don't. Just as I don't know that is is and addict. No need to talk in absolutes with so few facts.
            I'm going only off his statements in the interview. He isn't an sex addict. I think based on his own statements, this isn't about sex it is about power. That is my read on his comments. The addiction angle was an attempt to minimize when he was cornered. It is the same way when a predator gets caught and is facing impending criminal charges the predator all the sudden wants help.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18753

              #396
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              because it is helpful information regarding her potential motivation.
              I go back to her motivation doesn't really matter when there is a recorded admission of this individual engaging in sexual abuse.

              As I indicated, I don't really have a lot of criticism for the church in 1984 that, while they handled his poorly, it was pretty normal for large organizations at that time. I do have a lot of criticism for the LDS church's statement in 2018.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • old_gregg
                scaly man fish
                • Nov 2009
                • 16915

                #397
                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                I go back to her motivation doesn't really matter when there is a recorded admission of this individual engaging in sexual abuse.

                As I indicated, I don't really have a lot of criticism for the church in 1984 that, while they handled his poorly, it was pretty normal for large organizations at that time. I do have a lot of criticism for the LDS church's statement in 2018.
                did you read the transcript? his admission is certainly not clear. if there’s any risk of ambiguity, her motivation should and must be considered. this is not to say that the factual occurrence of what she describes is false, just that we should have good process for deciding that.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8189

                  #398
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

                  There's nothing wrong, per se, with the Church's clarification, but there's some signifying going on in there too.
                  Definitely. I wanted to like it, but it's heavy handed in classically wrong ways. Especially for an initial response in 2018.

                  Also, I'm struggling to believe there was no contact with Asay. No reason beyond that she was very convincing on that point. I wonder if a record of all such conversations is normally kept. In other words, how out of the ordinary would it be for him to have had such a conversation and left no record?

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #399
                    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    did you read the transcript? his admission is certainly not clear. if there’s any risk of ambiguity, her motivation should and must be considered. this is not to say that the factual occurrence of what she describes is false, just that we should have good process for deciding that.
                    He maintains that he doesn't remember the rape, but he does remember her, and someone who lived with him with a boob job. But, doesn't he remember that he groomed her? Also, does Utah use preponderance of evidence in civil suits like this might be, or is it a reasonable doubt standard?

                    Her motivation must be considered, certainly, by a grand jury.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • myboynoah
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 21719

                      #400
                      Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      I do have a lot of criticism for the LDS church's statement in 2018.
                      Yeah, that's a pretty damning statement for former President Bishop. They put his name out there twice, noting the sexual assault allegations, and saying they are still investigating from an ecclesiastical perspective.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                      Comment

                      • MartyFunkhouser
                        Disciple of RNGesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18753

                        #401
                        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        did you read the transcript? his admission is certainly not clear. if there’s any risk of ambiguity, her motivation should and must be considered. this is not to say that the factual occurrence of what she describes is false, just that we should have good process for deciding that.
                        His admissions with what he did to her are not clear. His admissions that he has sexually assaulted women are clear. His admissions that he groomed her are clear.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

                        Comment

                        • Green Monstah
                          Royal Rooter
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 13955

                          #402
                          This isn't something I can google from work, but there are some that believe sexual addiction is a myth. I'm not a psychologist, so I can't say either way, but the assertion is germane to this discussion.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69706

                            #403
                            Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                            Definitely. I wanted to like it, but it's heavy handed in classically wrong ways. Especially for an initial response in 2018.

                            Also, I'm struggling to believe there was no contact with Asay. No reason beyond that she was very convincing on that point. I wonder if a record of all such conversations is normally kept. In other words, how out of the ordinary would it be for him to have had such a conversation and left no record?
                            I don't think the church is denying that. But Asay is dead. No way to confirm.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37987

                              #404
                              Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              I'm going only off his statements in the interview. He isn't an sex addict. I think based on his own statements, this isn't about sex it is about power. That is my read on his comments. The addiction angle was an attempt to minimize when he was cornered. It is the same way when a predator gets caught and is facing impending criminal charges the predator all the sudden wants help.
                              Sex addiction isn't about sex, its about pain, suffering, fear, insecurity. Its about using something (drugs, alcohol, sex) to dull that pain, to hid from the fear, to minimize the insecurity.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37987

                                #405
                                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                This isn't something I can google from work, but there are some that believe sexual addiction is a myth. I'm not a psychologist, so I can't say either way, but the assertion is germane to this discussion.
                                Yes, some people say that.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...