Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ByronMarchant
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 360

    #796
    My other major concern is that some of you might lose your testimonies over this.

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #797
      Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
      I know what you are saying, but I see it a little different. In my view, too many people believe that others, by virtue of position or title, are allowed greater access or influence to the promptings of spirit. In doing so, they diminish their own relationship with God. Everyone is given the same ability to receive inspiration and revelation to help guide them and those they have stewardship over. One of the easiest ways that Satan influences us is to make us believe that were are less worthy to receive inspiration and love from God than someone else.

      I guarantee that you have made decisions for your family that are equally as important as decisions that the Q12 have made that affect your family. The general authorities are no different in that they make mistakes, sometime big mistakes, just as you and I have in leading our lives and our families. Maybe they have been called to those positions because they can "see" the bigger picture easier than the rest of us. And that ability helps them make it through the devastation that some of them may feel about decisions that end up as poorly as this one.
      Thanks JiC, I appreciate the response.

      Much like PAC, who I always hope to be like, I think I’m tapping out of this story at least for a bit.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 38003

        #798
        Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        I said it before, but Greg Bishop should be an honorary member of the Paterno family. He is a piece of shit
        He's also acting as his father's attorney, so in that respect, he's doing exactly what he should be doing.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #799
          Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          Maybe they have been called to those positions because they can "see" the bigger picture easier than the rest of us. And that ability helps them make it through the devastation that some of them may feel about decisions that end up as poorly as this one.
          Then, what's the point of sustaining them as seers? A seer can supposedly see, through divine means, the future. Well, I mean, when was the last time anyone seer-ed anything? I'm being serious. I'm about ready to just walk away, and I'm looking for a reason to stay, because I'm sick of the bullshit.

          Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
          How much tithing $ will this cost the Church in legal fees / possible settlements / extra PR work?
          None. This will come from Church-owned corporations.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69749

            #800
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Then, what's the point of sustaining them as seers? A seer can supposedly see, through divine means, the future. Well, I mean, when was the last time anyone seer-ed anything? I'm being serious. I'm about ready to just walk away, and I'm looking for a reason to stay, because I'm sick of the bullshit.
            I.e., a "seer" sees everything? Past, present, future? Seer = omniscient?

            That doesn't seem like a reasonable belief or expectation.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • CardiacCoug
              вот так штука
              • Nov 2008
              • 11013

              #801
              This concept among LDS people that GAs have supernatural powers is not smart or necessary.

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #802
                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                This concept among LDS people that GAs have supernatural powers is not smart or necessary.
                Yep
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #803
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I.e., a "seer" sees everything? Past, present, future? Seer = omniscient?

                  That doesn't seem like a reasonable belief or expectation.
                  What's the White Stone for... you know... the one they carry around in the Temple... the one you will possess in the CK that allows you to tap into things...

                  7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
                  8 The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.
                  9 This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s.
                  10 Then the white stone mentioned in Revelation 2:17, will become a Urim and Thummim to each individual who receives one, whereby things pertaining to a higher order of kingdoms will be made known;
                  11 And a white stone is given to each of those who come into the celestial kingdom, whereon is a new name written, which no man knoweth save he that receiveth it. The new name is the key word.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69749

                    #804
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    What's the White Stone for... you know... the one they carry around in the Temple... the one you will possess in the CK that allows you to tap into things...

                    7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
                    8 The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.
                    9 This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s.
                    10 Then the white stone mentioned in Revelation 2:17, will become a Urim and Thummim to each individual who receives one, whereby things pertaining to a higher order of kingdoms will be made known;
                    11 And a white stone is given to each of those who come into the celestial kingdom, whereon is a new name written, which no man knoweth save he that receiveth it. The new name is the key word.
                    You aren't helping.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • clackamascoug
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9709

                      #805
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      You aren't helping.
                      ... and that's the point... what do we really believe in... as a church? Scriptures tell us one thing and common sense tells us another... That's why rice paper guys like Waup have such a problem with the BS associated with church membership. You've got to ignore a wacky stuff to get to the good stuff like The Atonement. That's why I follow the dimensional trail... it's helps me weed out stuff that I can't explain except with physics. Physics is the ultimate core truth of the Gospel... where's it going to take us?

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69749

                        #806
                        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        ... and that's the point... what do we really believe in... as a church? Scriptures tell us one thing and common sense tells us another... That's why rice paper guys like Waup have such a problem with the BS associated with church membership. You've got to ignore a wacky stuff to get to the good stuff like The Atonement. That's why I follow the dimensional trail... it's helps me weed out stuff that I can't explain except with physics. Physics is the ultimate core truth of the Gospel... where's it going to take us?
                        So common sense and "ignoring the wacky stuff" leads you to your alternate dimension stuff. Uh ... OK.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #807
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          What's the White Stone for... you know... the one they carry around in the Temple... the one you will possess in the CK that allows you to tap into things...
                          I think it is like a really advanced iPhone.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69749

                            #808
                            Update from PFS/SLTrib. Woman now claims she is happy tape was released.

                            The recording posted Monday was shocking: A former LDS Missionary Training Center president was saying he had a sexual addiction and admitting he improperly touched at least one sister missionary under his care. The Colorado woman who had secretly recorded him in December quickly said the tape had been released by the website MormonLeaks without her knowledge or permission.


                            It does strike me as odd that they didn't obtain her permission first. I can see cases where that could be a disaster.

                            Also, an article from the Arizona Republic. Sounds like Bishop lives in AZ.



                            Apparently the woman's ex-husband is not sympathetic.

                            As recently as February, the woman was arrested in New Mexico on suspicion of identity theft. According to a police report, she used an ex-boyfriend's name and Social Security number to obtain utility services and to lease an apartment. Detectives obtained a phone recording wherein the woman posed as the ex-boyfriend, using his name, according to the police report. That case is pending.

                            Another police report, from South Carolina, describes a 1999 case in which the woman claimed she was pistol-whipped and locked in the trunk of a car by two men outside a restaurant where she had worked. Detectives learned she had been fired shortly before the incident and had made inquiries about the restaurant's security liability. They concluded she was dishonest and her report "unfounded."

                            In separate interviews with The Republic, the woman's former husband and another family member also questioned her motives and credibility.

                            On at least two additional occasions, they said, the woman reported being raped — once while on her Mormon mission in Washington, D.C.

                            The ex-husband, who is not named in this report so as not to reveal the woman's identity, said, "This is an insult, especially, to women who have gone through something like that and really have been hurt."
                            Yes, it could be that her abuse at the hands of Bishop led her down this path of crazy behavior. At the same time, this might help explain why prior church leaders doubted her story.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13981

                              #809
                              This is all extremely depressing.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • creekster
                                It is NOT a monkey!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22661

                                #810
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                Then, what's the point of sustaining them as seers? A seer can supposedly see, through divine means, the future. Well, I mean, when was the last time anyone seer-ed anything? I'm being serious. I'm about ready to just walk away, and I'm looking for a reason to stay, because I'm sick of the bullshit.
                                I think seers can only see when God needs them to see. They don't simply walk around with a movie of all things that have been and that are yet to be playing in their heads. The stars do not look like strings of spaghetti to them, unless and until God needs them to have that ability. We sustain them to that role because if they receive that sort of vision or instruction from God we support it. We recognize that they are in that role and no one else. If it doesn't come from them, then it isn't for everyone.

                                At the beginning of this dispensation, God needed a lot of stuff done. Joseph Smith was the conduit for that stuff. JS received a lot of info, and he produced a lot of materials (he saw and prophesied and revealed a boatload) not because he had the title but because God needed it done. Once the doctrines were provided to us there was less for these leaders to do. So they hold the office but they don't have the same quantity or nature of visions and revelations. Instead, they try to keep a steady hand on the till and leave us to chart our own course accordingly. Like us, they are subject to temptation and failure. No less so than a bishop. We are, in fact, cautioned to beware wolves in sheeps clothing in the final days. If Joseph Bishop isn't exactly that, I don't know what is.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                                Comment

                                Working...