Have you served in the Bishopric?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #16
    I spent a short stint masquerading as a counselor.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • marsupial
      Mississippi Queen
      • Nov 2008
      • 3678

      #17
      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      what are you teaching that it only takes an hour to prepare?
      I prepared my nursery lesson yesterday while I blew my hair dry. It was ample preparation time.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #18
        Originally posted by marsupial View Post
        I prepared my nursery lesson yesterday while I blew my hair dry. It was ample preparation time.
        My wife once taught a nursery lesson titled "I'm thankful for my hands." I enjoyed the simplicity of that thought.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #19
          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          At the risk of sounding petty but you asked. It started when you called me a pedophile for saying I wouldn't be watching any more of Wimbledon because Maria Sharapova got beat early. That's a pretty big leap to be implying I have sex with kids. We worked through that through some board mails and knowing that you didn't have a job and your wife was pregnant I invited you out to lunch to bury the hatchet and give you some leads on some jobs. You didn't show because he said you were unaware that Criagos had moved which they had. I was okay with that so I invited you again and once again you did not show. My judgment of you is not very cloudy. Listen to 71 he may be able to help you.
          Sorry for the late reply... all of this happened over three years ago so I needed to make sure I remembered what happened.

          Wasn't it about Michelle Wie? For some reason I remember the original argument being about your comments about Wie, who was 15 or so at the time? and not Sharapova, who was at least 18.

          Ah, I found it.

          http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1972894

          But I do remember we buried that hatchet. At least until you brought it up again. Looking at that thread, I can see now that I completely misinterpreted your initial post and my response was totally uncalled for. I'm sorry for that.

          I can't remember why the second Craigo's meet up didn't happen, but didn't I then invite you to a football game or something that you bailed on?

          I guess my point is that if you want to harbor a grudge against me for what happened in 2006, that's your prerogative.

          That makes sense, the manual was written with your class in mind. If all you do is follow the manual (and there's nothing terribly wrong with that, particularly at that age group) then an hour prep would be sufficient. Although I do support an open policy where any and all questions are valid. But that doesn't mean you have to know the answers beforehand.

          FWIW, I wasn't trying to criticize you, it's just been a long time since I've been able to get away with an hour prep for a lesson.
          Fair enough. My wife reports that the adult SS lesson on the WofW was spent debating the morality caffeine, which sounded like fun.

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #20
            To the two 'bishops,' if either of you served as a branch president rather than a bishop, it doesn't count! This poll is about 'bishops' only.

            Comment

            • Hallelujah
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 2741

              #21
              Based on religious posts

              I would have thought more had actual experience when offering their sage advice.

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #22
                Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                Only as Exec Sec. So not the big B one.
                Current Ward Clerk. So little b for me as well. The more I see the big B in action, the less I want a part of it.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Pheidippides
                  Liberal Feminazi
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14759

                  #23
                  Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  Although I do support an open policy where any and all questions are valid. But that doesn't mean you have to know the answers beforehand.
                  In my view, and as a former youth sunday school teacher, this is by far the most important thing in teaching the youth. No question should be off limits.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #24
                    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    In my view, and as a former youth sunday school teacher, this is by far the most important thing in teaching the youth. No question should be off limits.
                    How would you even implement a "certain questions are off-limits" policy? I don't remember any teacher sidestepping a question growing up, even if they probably should have.

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #25
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      To the two 'bishops,' if either of you served as a branch president rather than a bishop, it doesn't count! This poll is about 'bishops' only.
                      Why the distinction?
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • RobinFinderson
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10548

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        Why the distinction?
                        Because even though we all know that SOME branch presidents basically perform the same function as a bishop, the purpose of this poll is not to find out who got called to some obscure corner of the planet for his mission and was asked to serve as a branch president for a few months.

                        Comment

                        • I.J. Reilly
                          Nobody's Fool
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 2949

                          #27
                          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                          To the two 'bishops,' if either of you served as a branch president rather than a bishop, it doesn't count! This poll is about 'bishops' only.
                          Just curious as to what you see as the functional difference between being in a bishopric and a branch presidency. Is it just the title that draws the line for you? Is it the need to be a high priest? Functionally, I don't see a difference, and you could probably ask those that have served in branch presidencies and bishoprics, but I would bet that they didn't see much of a difference, either.

                          Comment

                          • I.J. Reilly
                            Nobody's Fool
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 2949

                            #28
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            Because even though we all know that SOME branch presidents basically perform the same function as a bishop, the purpose of this poll is not to find out who got called to some obscure corner of the planet for his mission and was asked to serve as a branch president for a few months.
                            Dang it. A minute short again. This is beginning to be a bad pattern.

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #29
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              Because even though we all know that SOME branch presidents basically perform the same function as a bishop, the purpose of this poll is not to find out who got called to some obscure corner of the planet for his mission and was asked to serve as a branch president for a few months.
                              What if your branch is in the US, has 375 members and has had anywhere from 80 to 140 people attending sacrament meeting?
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • Fiyero
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5266

                                #30
                                Oh this reminds me. When I received my last calling, was I supposed to start a thread saying "the stake president wants to meet with me, whatever could it be for?" followed by the inevitable "you won't believe what they just called me to do...."

                                Comment

                                Working...