No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ma dies from heat stroke on first day of Trek activity Arkansas. Tragic and crazy.

Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing in Oklahoma
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865656625/?user=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      Ma dies from heat stroke on first day of Trek activity Arkansas. Tragic and crazy.

Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing in Oklahoma
      http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865656625/?user=app

Yikes! Kind of dumb to do trek in June in Oklahoma. Our stake does it once every four years over Easter break. They did it this year and the temps were in the high 70s to low 80s which was unusually warm for that time in March.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• That is taking the pioneer experience to the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Yikes! Kind of dumb to do trek in June in Oklahoma. Our stake does it once every four years over Easter break. They did it this year and the temps were in the high 70s to low 80s which was unusually warm for that time in March.
          My Dallas area stake continues to do pioneer treks in North Texas and Oklahoma during June. IMO, a problem is the stupid pioneer clothes many kids are forced to wear. I go backpacking with my teenage kids and my son was able to wear breathable hiking pants and a sweat wicking shirt that passed the "pioneer" test. However, my daughter couldn't wear her backpacking clothes and had to sew a pioneer skirt. She got busted for taking off her skirt during the trek (she was wearing hiking shorts underneath).
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            That is taking the pioneer experience to the next level.
            I shouldn't laugh, but I did.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

My sister knows the parents of the woman who passed away, as they reside in a neighboring stake.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• The heat index in the Tulsa area was insane last week.

My old stake (in Houston) has done trek twice at this same ranch. It's not easy, especially in the clothes that they make everyone wear.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  My Dallas area stake continues to do pioneer treks in North Texas and Oklahoma during June. IMO, a problem is the stupid pioneer clothes many kids are forced to wear. I go backpacking with my teenage kids and my son was able to wear breathable hiking pants and a sweat wicking shirt that passed the "pioneer" test. However, my daughter couldn't wear her backpacking clothes and had to sew a pioneer skirt. She got busted for taking off her skirt during the trek (she was wearing hiking shorts underneath).
                  There was one year that your stake (formerly my stake) did the trek at the same Oklahoma church ranch in June. Over 100 kids/leaders had to get IVs and/or go to the hospital due to the heat. My daughter was on that one. I need to get her a t-shirt that says something like, "I survived the mormon trek!"
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This is a new product we'll be trying at work soon.

Capture.jpg

Comment

• All these rules about how far you can go on scout trips and meanwhile they still plan these ill-advised treks? The brethren need to cut the s#t.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        All these rules about how far you can go on scout trips and meanwhile they still plan these ill-advised treks? The brethren need to cut the s#t.
                        I remember reading a Snide Remarks quite a few years ago, where Snider really bashed the treks. Back then I thought it was a good faith-promoting experience and he went overboard criticizing them. But you have to assume they are on their way out. After this current death, there's going to be too much liability for them to continue.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          There was one year that your stake (formerly my stake) did the trek at the same Oklahoma church ranch in June. Over 100 kids/leaders had to get IVs and/or go to the hospital due to the heat. My daughter was on that one. I need to get her a t-shirt that says something like, "I survived the mormon trek!"
                          If that was back in 2006, my oldest son was on that trek as well...and survived. Since then, the stake has stayed closer to the metroplex for trek locations, mostly to save money. But they still go pioneer trekking in June.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          All these rules about how far you can go on scout trips and meanwhile they still plan these ill-advised treks? The brethren need to cut the s#t.
                          My stake makes exceptions for pioneer treks and trips to Nauvoo. But not for backpacking or canoeing high adventures.
                          Last edited by Paperback Writer; 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            there's going to be too much liability for them to continue.
                            There's only liability if people sue the Church.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              I still think it's crazy to do this in June in Texas and I guess also Oklahoma. It would be fine if everyone was in great shape and was drinking enough water and chugging electrolytes and carbs while also wearing light clothing. But to have some of these fat kids and adults wearing long wool clothing in that heat while also exerting themselves for the first time in a long time is ridiculous.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I used to be critical of treks because our stake went overboard. No non-period clothing was permitted. Initially, they were going to prohibit deodorant and other modern items, but finally they came to their senses. My daughter went last spring and had a pretty good experience, but my new stake did some crazy crap too. They took away some kids shoes amd made them walk barefoot, they would require the young men to carry "injured" Trekkers.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X