This is going to go over well ... Ugh

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clackamascoug
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 9709

    #46
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    She clarified that she thinks "liberal" means "disobedient." And really, who among us hasn't come across the word "liberal" as "disobedient?" Pretty common in my experience.
    I concur with your expert analysis. That's like Hal telling me I was too liberal with those cream puffs.

    Comment

    • Color Me Badd Fan
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 12519

      #47
      Dolores_Umbridge.JPG

      I never read the books, but I always wanted Dolores Umbridge to get her comeuppance. I thought her portrayal of that villain type was one of the more brilliant parts of the movie series. But you can see the type of damage these people do in ward/relief society/school settings. I'm sure we've all come across this at some point in our lives. Petty, judgmental control freaks can make things pretty miserable.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #48
        Joni Hilton has written five award-winning plays, is the author of 20 books, and holds a Master of Fine Arts degree in Professional Writing from USC...Hilton hosted a daily TV talk show in Los Angeles for four years, is still a TV spokeswoman across the U.S. for various corporations, and is highly in demand as a public speaker.
        http://www.amazon.com/Joni-Hilton/e/B001IXU7A6
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • Topper
          Pre-Historic Man
          • Nov 2011
          • 11764

          #49
          Being with liberal Mormons is much easier than attending with Jonis of the the Church. Meridian Magazine is not worth the effort. It lacks intellectual integrity or acumen.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

          Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

          Comment

          • FMCoug
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 6825

            #50
            Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Being with liberal Mormons is much easier than attending with Jonis of the the Church. Meridian Magazine is not worth the effort. It lacks intellectual integrity or acumen.
            I just want a church where the progmos, Jonis, white shirters, no shirters, tatooed and pierced, and other types of every stripe can attend, get along, and not judge each other. The Gospel can be boiled down to a very few simple truths. Belief (or hope thereof) of those things should be the only "litmus test." And even that should only be applied by God.
            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

            Comment

            • New Mexican Disaster
              Suomalainen
              • Nov 2008
              • 4549

              #51
              Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              I just want a church where the progmos, Jonis, white shirters, no shirters, tatooed and pierced, and other types of every stripe can attend, get along, and not judge each other. The Gospel can be boiled down to a very few simple truths. Belief (or hope thereof) of those things should be the only "litmus test." And even that should only be applied by God.
              You're asking way too much.

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #52
                Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                You're asking way too much.
                He really is. Not just of Mormons, but of people in general. Maybe there are some non-denoms where it happens though it's unlikely that they spend as much time together as LDS. Sometimes it's just a simple matter of being sick of each other. I also think it's funny that hyper-critical FM is the one banging the drum for tolerance.

                Comment

                • Applejack
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 3813

                  #53
                  Joni Hilton has written five award-winning plays, is the author of 20 books, and holds a Master of Fine Arts degree in Professional Writing from USC.
                  :usc:

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #54
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    He really is. Not just of Mormons, but of people in general. Maybe there are some non-denoms where it happens though it's unlikely that they spend as much time together as LDS. Sometimes it's just a simple matter of being sick of each other. I also think it's funny that hyper-critical FM is the one banging the drum for tolerance.
                    Sure. I'm guessing she wrote this after she felt slighted by some liberal Mormon who had been to Europe but skipped her visiting teaching last month. I can understand getting upset and spouting off, but she's a professional author, writing an article that's going to be viewed by thousands (I guess?), and she doesn't take a night to cool off? Maybe reread it the next day before posting? Beyond that, she at least claims to be a RS president, which at least should be reason to take a little extra caution in how she comes across.

                    I read something by her (I think?) about the stages of testimony a week or two ago that wasn't as offensive, but still...curious. Taking these two together, I have to just conclude that this lady is kooky. Frankly, I'm shocked she made it through a graduate writing program at any non-BYU institution, let alone a member of the intellectually elite PAC 12.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • clackamascoug
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9709

                      #55
                      Perhaps she's attention starved, and as long as the conversation is about her, for either good or bad, she can quell those needy demons in her head.

                      Comment

                      • FMCoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 6825

                        #56
                        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        He really is. Not just of Mormons, but of people in general. Maybe there are some non-denoms where it happens though it's unlikely that they spend as much time together as LDS. Sometimes it's just a simple matter of being sick of each other. I also think it's funny that hyper-critical FM is the one banging the drum for tolerance.
                        LOL. I just like to be critical of Utah because it gets your panties in such a wad. I don't think most people who know me would consider me "hyper-critical". But I'm sure you'll "prove" me wrong.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #57
                          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

                          I read something by her (I think?) about the stages of testimony a week or two ago that wasn't as offensive, but still...curious. Taking these two together, I have to just conclude that this lady is kooky. Frankly, I'm shocked she made it through a graduate writing program at any non-BYU institution, let alone a member of the intellectually elite PAC 12.
                          I skimmed some of her other articles today. Even the ones where I agreed with the points she was making (the testimony one for example) there was an air of self-righteousness that just doesn't sit right with me. There was an article about not being a "text parent" (i.e parenting via FaceBook, text messages, etc.) where she had some very good points about the kind of relationships we should have with our kids. Yet the thesis of the thing seemed to be to bash women who choose "optional" careers over being a SAHM.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #58
                            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            I skimmed some of her other articles today. Even the ones where I agreed with the points she was making (the testimony one for example) there was an air of self-righteousness that just doesn't sit right with me. There was an article about not being a "text parent" (i.e parenting via FaceBook, text messages, etc.) where she had some very good points about the kind of relationships we should have with our kids. Yet the thesis of the thing seemed to be to bash women who choose "optional" careers over being a SAHM.
                            Thanks for making my point.

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #59
                              Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              I just want a church where the progmos, Jonis, white shirters, no shirters, tatooed and pierced, and other types of every stripe can attend, get along, and not judge each other. The Gospel can be boiled down to a very few simple truths. Belief (or hope thereof) of those things should be the only "litmus test." And even that should only be applied by God.
                              I don't want to attend a church where members feel comfortable not wearing shirts.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #60
                                Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                                I just want a church where the progmos, Jonis, white shirters, no shirters, tatooed and pierced, and other types of every stripe can attend, get along, and not judge each other. The Gospel can be boiled down to a very few simple truths. Belief (or hope thereof) of those things should be the only "litmus test." And even that should only be applied by God.
                                If you attend the LDS church, at least in my experience, you already have such a church. I'm dead serious. In my last ward, there were progmos, there were Jonis, there were white shirters, there were no shirters (they would wear shirts to church - thank heavens, but on many other occasions didn't wear them), there were men and women with tattoos, and there were pierced folks - they all got along, were welcomed and the bishop treated all the same.

                                Sometimes I wonder if part of the reason I tend to defend the church as often as I do here, is that I've always attended good wards, with good people who don't judge people for trivial things and for the most part are just trying to be like Jesus.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...