D&C Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69718

    #16
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    So your answer is "No"?
    No, my answer is "yes". I guarantee you that the statement I quoted is in the church's historical record.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Clark Addison
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10312

      #17
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      "no clear insights" my eye. The entire intro represents significant progress but we still aren't being honest.
      I agree, but the lack of honesty in this statement, while not perfect, is preferable to some of the lack of honesty we have seen in the past.

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #18
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        No, my answer is "yes". I guarantee you that the statement I quoted is in the church's historical record.
        What document did you get the quoted comment you used?
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • Pheidippides
          Liberal Feminazi
          • Nov 2008
          • 14759

          #19
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          So your answer is "No"?
          Official declaration No. 1/2: I, Brigham Young, hereby declare that black people can't have the priesthood because I am a racist tyrant.

          I'm sure that's somewhere in the Journal of Discourses.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #20
            Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
            Official declaration No. 1/2: I, Brigham Young, hereby declare that black people can't have the priesthood because I am a racist tyrant.

            I'm sure that's somewhere in the Journal of Discourses.
            So that quote is the genesis of the policy itself, or merely a statement made after the policy was instituted at some indeterminate point in the past?
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #21
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              So that quote is the genesis of the policy itself, or merely a statement made after the policy was instituted at some indeterminate point in the past?
              Sorry, Indy. I learned long ago not to play your leading question game. If you care to get the answer, the materials are openly available. I can even suggest things for you to read. But I don't think you care.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #22
                Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                Sorry, Indy. I learned long ago not to play your leading question game. If you care to get the answer, the materials are openly available. I can even suggest things for you to read. But I don't think you care.
                I don't really give a shit if you want to play "the game" or not. I've discovered what that amounts to is that simply you know damn well what the answer is and you don't want to admit it. I consider the point I was making conceded by you and we can now move onto other things to hold over the church's head.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • Northwestcoug
                  Cocked and Loaded
                  • May 2011
                  • 18029

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  "no clear insights" my eye. The entire intro represents significant progress but we still aren't being honest.
                  Hell, my educated guess about the origins of the ban is closer to the truth than that statement. It's ridiculous that the church still can't state the obvious.

                  I would even quibble with the word 'significant'. It is progress though.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69718

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    What document did you get the quoted comment you used?
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    So that quote is the genesis of the policy itself, or merely a statement made after the policy was instituted at some indeterminate point in the past?
                    Indy old friend. They have this new thing called "Google". You should check it out.

                    Full speech here:

                    Brigham Young explains the curse of Cain and how black people are relegated to being the “servant of servants” and are prohibited from holding the LDS priesthood until “all the other descendants of…


                    Note the source:

                    (Brigham Young Addresses, Ms d 1234, Box 48, folder 3, dated Feb. 5, 1852,
                    located in the LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah)
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Indy old friend. They have this new thing called "Google". You should check it out.

                      Full speech here:

                      Brigham Young explains the curse of Cain and how black people are relegated to being the “servant of servants” and are prohibited from holding the LDS priesthood until “all the other descendants of…


                      Note the source:

                      (Brigham Young Addresses, Ms d 1234, Box 48, folder 3, dated Feb. 5, 1852,
                      located in the LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah)
                      Feb 5,1852 - Brigham Young announces policy of denying priesthood to all those black African ancestry, even "if there never was a prophet, or apostle of Jesus Christ spoke it before" because "negroes are the children of old Cain....any man having one drop of the seed of Cain in him cannot hold the priesthood."
                      OK, this is what I was getting at. The section bolded and underlined above was commentary supplied by you, not a direct quote of some synopsis in JD.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18029

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Indy old friend. They have this new thing called "Google". You should check it out.

                        Full speech here:

                        Brigham Young explains the curse of Cain and how black people are relegated to being the “servant of servants” and are prohibited from holding the LDS priesthood until “all the other descendants of…


                        Note the source:

                        (Brigham Young Addresses, Ms d 1234, Box 48, folder 3, dated Feb. 5, 1852,
                        located in the LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah)
                        Ah, it's examples like these why all the references to the History of the Church have been deleted from the D&C. Back when hardly no one owned or read the 7 volumes, it wasn't an issue. Now that it's on Google, though...(the same goes for the Journal of Discourses)
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          I don't really give a shit if you want to play "the game" or not. I've discovered what that amounts to is that simply you know damn well what the answer is and you don't want to admit it. I consider the point I was making conceded by you and we can now move onto other things to hold over the church's head.
                          I don't care what you consider conceded because you are wrong. Please rest assured that it is entirely personal. I don't care to interact with you further here or elsewhere on any religious matter, so please now feel free to take the last word on the subject without fear of response.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27886

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            Helpful that my lesson is on the restoration of the priesthood.
                            Are you going to mention that those revelations were redrafted some 1-2 years after 1830 to include the word "Priesthood"?
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                              I don't care what you consider conceded because you are wrong. Please rest assured that it is entirely personal. I don't care to interact with you further here or elsewhere on any religious matter, so please now feel free to take the last word on the subject without fear of response.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                Thanks for linking. It is really cool that the church released a complete side-by-side list of the changes. If you are cynical, you will say that they were just beating others to the punch, as it was bound to happen soon anyway, but it is still cool.

                                I agree with the post that the intro to OD2 is very interesting. Especially the part that says

                                Early in its history, Church leaders stopped conferring the priesthood on black males of African descent. Church records offer no clear insights into the origins of this practice. Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter this practice and prayerfully sought guidance.
                                I think Brigham Young just rolled over in his grave. Very cool.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...