One of the September Six is Rebaptized

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lambdacoug
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 3981

    #46
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm not criticizing you. Your de jure status in the LDS church is meaningless to me.
    I didn't think you were, nor did I expect you to find significance in my church status.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

    Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27897

      #47
      Originally posted by creekster View Post
      ????
      Not only do we not click on links, but now we don't even read posts







      I'm kidding
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #48
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Hey, can you move this pissing contest somewhere else please? You are sullying our nice thread. TIA.
        This place is getting soft.

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #49
          She needs to wait a few days and get baptized on September 6. That would drive everybody crazy, wondering what she's up to with that.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • ERCougar
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10978

            #50
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            ????
            Ha....oops. Not sure how I missed that. I was even thinking, 'why did jl cite that? It doesnt say anything about rebaptism?'

            Ill blame it on being post night shift.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69742

              #51
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              She needs to wait a few days and get baptized on September 6. That would drive everybody crazy, wondering what she's up to with that.
              Ha. That would be great.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #52
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Toscano seems pretty far over the line to me, assuming one could find a line.

                As for her being the second, I wonder if theyre counting the expert on judaism (can't ternever the name) as the first. I dont think he was technically rebaptized, right? More like the church rescinded its own action?
                Paul Toscano or Margaret? He is usually considered one of the six but not her, though she was ex'd around the same time. I think he has come to be more antagonistic, but Paul wasn't saying the church wasn't true, he was saying that it was not paying attention to the theology in the BOM in particular and was teaching the wrong things. I think one of his biggest issues was his belief that Jesus/Father were not distinct beings (which the BOM supports).
                Last edited by UtahDan; 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM.

                Comment

                • Art Vandelay
                  Striving for mediocrity
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10516

                  #53
                  Isn't Robin's way actually kinder to the family in the long run? His fam will get to go to the temple and do all his work (again!), after dies. It will probably be a real bondig experience for them.

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    Isn't Robin's way actually kinder to the family in the long run? His fam will get to go to the temple and do all his work (again!), after dies. It will probably be a real bondig experience for them.
                    Exactly. And I will be the first to admit, that if I show up on the other side to find my mom dressed like a Keebler baker, I will be very pleasantly surprised, especially if it means that I will have had the opportunity to rock an apostate lifestyle, while still getting the bennys of having once been a part of the fold.

                    Comment

                    • DU Ute
                      RIP CUF
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 7393

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Isn't Robin's way actually kinder to the family in the long run? His fam will get to go to the temple and do all his work (again!), after dies. It will probably be a real bondig experience for them.
                      And again, and again.
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #56
                        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                        Paul Toscano or Margaret? He is usually considered one of the six but not her, though she was ex'd around the same time. I think he has come to be more antagonistic, but Paul wasn't saying the church wasn't true, he was saying that it was not paying attention to the theology in the BOM in particular and was teaching the wrong things. I think one of his biggest issues was his belief that Jesus/Father were not distinct beings (which the BOM supports).
                        Paul.
                        I'm getting this primarily from MS interview with him a while back and a few other snippets I've heard from him--nothing from the time of excommunication. My sense of him is that he is the type that needs a soapbox. IIRC, he had some significant theological training (I could be way off here) prior to becoming a Mormon? Some people in this situation can handle falling back into obscurity, but others need to feel that their "outside knowledge" is being valued, and I get the sense that he is in the latter category. Thus, I can easily see him just becoming more outspoken when asked to stop. Whether or not the BOM supports Jesus/Father being one being, it clearly goes against very core doctrines of the Church; while he's free to privately believe whatever he wants, when he starts teaching it from a position of authority, he's threatening the integrity of the church. This is one of the few situations where I support excommunication.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69742

                          #57
                          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          Paul.
                          I'm getting this primarily from MS interview with him a while back and a few other snippets I've heard from him--nothing from the time of excommunication. My sense of him is that he is the type that needs a soapbox. IIRC, he had some significant theological training (I could be way off here) prior to becoming a Mormon? Some people in this situation can handle falling back into obscurity, but others need to feel that their "outside knowledge" is being valued, and I get the sense that he is in the latter category. Thus, I can easily see him just becoming more outspoken when asked to stop. Whether or not the BOM supports Jesus/Father being one being, it clearly goes against very core doctrines of the Church; while he's free to privately believe whatever he wants, when he starts teaching it from a position of authority, he's threatening the integrity of the church. This is one of the few situations where I support excommunication.
                          That's a fascinating statement if you think about it.

                          You would be amazed at how long it took for that doctrine to evolve. There used to be a section in the Lectures on Faith describing how the Father and the Son were one being. (not to mention numerous other statements)
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #58
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            That's a fascinating statement if you think about it.

                            You would be amazed at how long it took for that doctrine to evolve. There used to be a section in the Lectures on Faith describing how the Father and the Son were one being. (not to mention numerous other statements)
                            Completely agree. And I'm on record here as saying that I think the doctrine of the Trinity is far better tested in its implications than ours of the Godhead is. Personally, I think it's an unimportant distinction.

                            But still--you have to agree that in today's church, this is a fairly key and core doctrine.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69742

                              #59
                              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              Completely agree. And I'm on record here as saying that I think the doctrine of the Trinity is far better tested in its implications than ours of the Godhead is. Personally, I think it's an unimportant distinction.

                              But still--you have to agree that in today's church, this is a fairly key and core doctrine.
                              Sure.

                              My impression with Toscano is that he is one of the more interesting people I have ever listened to. And a bit nutty.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • PaloAltoCougar
                                Semper infra dignitatem
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 16939

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Sure.

                                My impression with Toscano is that he is one of the more interesting people I have ever listened to. And a bit nutty.
                                Agreed on both counts. My first impression of Paul was formed when, on my mission, I read his New Era article entitled "Confessions of a Would Be Zone Leader," which was very good. Later, he was my Gospel Doctrine teacher and a law school classmate. Very interesting, smart and a bit prickly. I recall his address at the law school convocation began something like, "I am flattered to have been chosen by my classmates to speak, but my selection has nothing to do with my grades, as mine is the burden of unverifiable genius."

                                Comment

                                Working...