One of the September Six is Rebaptized

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #31
    Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Concern for the sentiments of family?
    I think by that point you have already destroyed the feelings and sentiments of family.

    It is fair to wonder whether these apostates really still believe or retain some bit of doubt as to whether they are doing the right thing by leaving.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • lambdacoug
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 3981

      #32
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I think by that point you have already destroyed the feelings and sentiments of family.

      It is fair to wonder whether these apostates really still believe or retain some bit of doubt as to whether they are doing the right thing by leaving.
      There is a difference between leaving but staying on the records and leaving and removing yourself that I feel is significant. I've officially resigned, but I have not said so to my family, and I won't for the foreseeable future. Though they probably already know since my dad is the former SP and best friends with the current SP (who handled my resignation), and I have little trust that my confidentiality has been respected.
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
      - Howard Aiken

      Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #33
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        I don't care about that. I just don't care enough to resign.
        Apathy is perhaps the ugliest form of moral cowardice. I hope you take this as a compliment, but I simply can't believe that "I just don't care enough to resign" is all you have. I respect you too much to believe that the trouble of signing a form letter and dropping it into the mail is all that stands between you and doing right by the millions of gay American's whose lives have been impacted by the Mormon church's political activism. For example, if your parents had signed you up as a child to be a member of the KKK, would you tolerate that affiliation into adulthood? I doubt it. On some level, I have to think that you still value your formal Mormon affiliation.

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #34
          Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
          There is a difference between leaving but staying on the records and leaving and removing yourself that I feel is significant. I've officially resigned, but I have not said so to my family, and I won't for the foreseeable future. Though they probably already know since my dad is the former SP and best friends with the current SP (who handled my resignation), and I have little trust that my confidentiality has been respected.
          You are a nice person. I support you here on this message board.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • ERCougar
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10978

            #35
            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I will have to double check, but I don't think any of the September 6 were truly apostates at the time and maybe never were. They were believers who were saying things the church didn't like. I guess what this shows is that they no longer think excommunication is the proper response to faithful heretics.
            Toscano seems pretty far over the line to me, assuming one could find a line.

            As for her being the second, I wonder if theyre counting the expert on judaism (can't ternever the name) as the first. I dont think he was technically rebaptized, right? More like the church rescinded its own action?
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69696

              #36
              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
              Apathy is perhaps the ugliest form of moral cowardice. I hope you take this as a compliment, but I simply can't believe that "I just don't care enough to resign" is all you have. I respect you too much to believe that the trouble of signing a form letter and dropping it into the mail is all that stands between you and doing right by the millions of gay American's whose lives have been impacted by the Mormon church's political activism. For example, if your parents had signed you up as a child to be a member of the KKK, would you tolerate that affiliation into adulthood? I doubt it. On some level, I have to think that you still value your formal Mormon affiliation.
              Hey, can you move this pissing contest somewhere else please? You are sullying our nice thread. TIA.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69696

                #37
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Toscano seems pretty far over the line to me, assuming one could find a line.

                As for her being the second, I wonder if theyre counting the expert on judaism (can't ternever the name) as the first. I dont think he was technically rebaptized, right? More like the church rescinded its own action?
                Bingo.

                From wikipedia:

                Avraham Gileadi

                Avraham Gileadi is a Hebrew scholar and literary analyst who is considered theologically conservative. He authored two books, one about Isaiah and one about the last days, which were published by LDS-owned Deseret Book. The second book was later pulled from the shelves.[5] The reasons for his excommunication on September 15 are unclear. According to Margaret Toscano, whose husband was among the September Six and who would also later be excommunicated, Gileadi's "books interpreting Mormon scripture challenged the exclusive right of leaders to define doctrine." [6] Gileadi has been re-baptized and is an active member of the church.[7][8] He has since written works on Isaiah, including The Literary Message of Isaiah (2002) and Isaiah Decoded: Ascending the Ladder to Heaven (2002).
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • MarkGrace
                  Grooveshark dick tease
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 31546

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Hey, can you move this pissing contest somewhere else please? You are sullying our nice thread. TIA.
                  I did like the comparison to the KKK, though.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #39
                    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    Apathy is perhaps the ugliest form of moral cowardice. I hope you take this as a compliment, but I simply can't believe that "I just don't care enough to resign" is all you have. I respect you too much to believe that the trouble of signing a form letter and dropping it into the mail is all that stands between you and doing right by the millions of gay American's whose lives have been impacted by the Mormon church's political activism. For example, if your parents had signed you up as a child to be a member of the KKK, would you tolerate that affiliation into adulthood? I doubt it. On some level, I have to think that you still value your formal Mormon affiliation.
                    It's not the kind of apathy you presume. I think people who resign actually give the church a level of satisfaction. You are ascribing a significance to membership to which I don't ascribe.

                    I am consistent. I am very good at being entirely truthful to my children. What I tell them is I couldn't care less whether or not they baptise. Baptism or membership per se is meaningless. It's how they actually live that matters.

                    You are still traumatized by the teaching since childhood that there is a magic transformation associated with baptism or membership per se. There just isn't.

                    However, it's not unusual for exmos to carry their binary and circumscribed view of the world ingrained by Mormonism into apostasy. Just look at the exmo board. They think the world is all about mos and exmos. It's not. Mo is a grain of sand in the human experience.

                    I don't see this resignation fixation in other religions. For eample, there are many millions of people raised Catholics or Southern Baptists or whatever totally disgusted with their former faith to whom this would occur.

                    I would resign from the KKK for a different reason. The LDS church is not the KKK however, for all its faults.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • lambdacoug
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 3981

                      #40
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      It's not the kind of apathy you presume. I think people who resign actually give the church a level of satisfaction. You are ascribing a significance to membership to which I don't ascribe.

                      I am consistent. I am very good at being entirely truthful to my children. What I tell them is I couldn't care less whether or not they baptise. Baptism or membership per se is meaningless. It's how they actually live that matters.

                      You are still traumatized by the teaching since childhood that there is a magic transformation associated with baptism or membership per se. There just isn't.

                      However, it's not unusual for exmos to carry their binary and circumscribed view of the world ingrained by Mormonism into apostasy. Just look at the exmo board. They think the world is all about mos and exmos. It's not. Mo is a grain of sand in the human experience.

                      I don't see this resignation fixation in other religions. For eample, there are many millions of people raised Catholics or Southern Baptists or whatever totally disgusted with their former faith to whom this would occur.

                      I would resign from the KKK for a different reason. The LDS church is not the KKK however, for all its faults.
                      I resigned because I no longer wanted to affiliated with the church. I disagree with much of what it stands for and I do not care to be counted amongst its numbers. I couldn't, with good conscience, believe what I believe and still allow myself to be counted amongst its ranks. Call this what you will, but it was a matter of personal consistency and integrity for me. I think this is the case for a lot of people that resign.
                      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                      - Howard Aiken

                      Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69696

                        #41
                        Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                        I resigned because I no longer wanted to affiliated with the church. I disagree with much of what it stands for and I do not care to be counted amongst its numbers. I couldn't, with good conscience, believe what I believe and still allow myself to be counted amongst its ranks. Call this what you will, but it was a matter of personal consistency and integrity for me. I think this is the case for a lot of people that resign.
                        You have mentioned that a time or two.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #42
                          Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                          I resigned because I no longer wanted to affiliated with the church. I disagree with much of what it stands for and I do not care to be counted amongst its numbers. I couldn't, with good conscience, believe what I believe and still allow myself to be counted amongst its ranks. Call this what you will, but it was a matter of personal consistency and integrity for me. I think this is the case for a lot of people that resign.
                          I'm not criticizing you. Your de jure status in the LDS church is meaningless to me.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Bingo.

                            From wikipedia:
                            Yeah, that's the guy. It doesn't say anything about being rebaptized, which seems strange for a church that is usually fussy about technicalities like that.

                            If it happened quickly, I see that as quite different from being rebaptized. Either way, I admire their willingness to be patient with an imperfect church. I don't think I could have done it.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #44
                              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              It doesn't say anything about being rebaptized,
                              Originally posted by wikipedia
                              Avraham Gileadi is a Hebrew scholar and literary analyst who is considered theologically conservative. He authored two books, one about Isaiah and one about the last days, which were published by LDS-owned Deseret Book. The second book was later pulled from the shelves.[5] The reasons for his excommunication on September 15 are unclear. According to Margaret Toscano, whose husband was among the September Six and who would also later be excommunicated, Gileadi's "books interpreting Mormon scripture challenged the exclusive right of leaders to define doctrine." [6] Gileadi has been re-baptized and is an active member of the church.[7][8] He has since written works on Isaiah, including The Literary Message of Isaiah (2002) and Isaiah Decoded: Ascending the Ladder to Heaven (2002).
                              ????
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • PaloAltoCougar
                                Semper infra dignitatem
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 16936

                                #45
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                ????
                                ???, indeed. The third paragraph of the linked article in JL's opening post says this.

                                Comment

                                Working...