Randy Bott and the Priesthood Ban

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #31
    I didn't have Bott but my wife did. She says he was an overrated clown that said all sorts of crap like this.

    Apparently there are protests planned at BYU over this, if what I am reading is correct.

    If the church wants to make a statement about this kind of thinking - not that they do, but they should - they should fire him now. It's not like they don't have a history of axing people at BYU that speak out....
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • myboynoah
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 21719

      #32
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      Two thoughts on this. First, trying to keep track of all the things that people who are church or BYU employees say must be an ongoing nightmare. No matter what you do, some old guy like this one is going to go off script. Second, this is the kind of thinking that is allowed to persist when you change your policy but don't emphatically repudiate many of the justifications for the old policy.
      I agree.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

      Comment

      • Sleeping in EQ
        Philosopher of Men
        • Nov 2008
        • 4188

        #33
        CES is an utter disaster.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

        Comment

        • pellegrino
          miserere me
          • Jan 2009
          • 12100

          #34
          Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          CES is an utter disaster.
          this doesn't even begin to describe it.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

          pelagius

          Comment

          • marsupial
            Mississippi Queen
            • Nov 2008
            • 3678

            #35
            I remember hearing about how awesome Bott was but felt unwilling to camp out on the phone to try and enroll in his classes. I ended up in a horrible BoM class. There were a lot of really obscure questions on the tests and he prided himself in having a really tough class. I think I got a C. Seriously, a C in Book of Mormon. I should have camped out for Bott just so I could have improved my grade.

            Anyway, blacks and the priesthood is a mess. Do you think the church thought they'd be haunted by it still almost 35 years after the ban was lifted?

            Coincidently, my dad sent me this article yesterday: http://www.fairblog.org/2012/02/25/t...28FAIR+Blog%29

            I grew up hearing all three of those myths. President Hinckley has the best response to it:
            I don’t know what the reason was. But I know that we’ve rectified whatever may have appeared to be wrong at the time.
            There was no good reason. People need to quit trying to make up ones. They only make it seem more racist.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10312

              #36
              Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              I remember hearing about how awesome Bott was but felt unwilling to camp out on the phone to try and enroll in his classes. I ended up in a horrible BoM class. There were a lot of really obscure questions on the tests and he prided himself in having a really tough class. I think I got a C. Seriously, a C in Book of Mormon. I should have camped out for Bott just so I could have improved my grade.

              Anyway, blacks and the priesthood is a mess. Do you think the church thought they'd be haunted by it still almost 35 years after the ban was lifted?

              Coincidently, my dad sent me this article yesterday: http://www.fairblog.org/2012/02/25/t...28FAIR+Blog%29

              I grew up hearing all three of those myths. President Hinckley has the best response to it:


              There was no good reason. People need to quit trying to make up ones. They only make it seem more racist.

              Unfortunately, it will continue to be haunted by it as long as people born before about 1965 are around. These are the folks that were fed a bunch of stories, often well-meaning, trying to explain the policy. They are happy the ban was lifted, but many have hung on to the folklore of the reasons for the ban.

              Comment

              • DrumNFeather
                Invisible Swordsman
                • Nov 2008
                • 8854

                #37
                [Update 2:] The Church has responded, both with respect to Dr. Bott's statement and with a statement on the Church and race. I'm adding the text of each to the bottom of the post, but I want to highlight these two excerpts: We condemn racism, including any and all past racism by individuals both inside
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                Comment

                • DrumNFeather
                  Invisible Swordsman
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8854

                  #38
                  Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
                  But to acknowledge that something was inherently wrong is to state that church leadership can make mistakes.

                  and then all hell breaks loose because people are sheep.
                  I'm assuming that this is a troll...no?
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                  Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    Unfortunately, it will continue to be haunted by it as long as people born before about 1965 are around. These are the folks that were fed a bunch of stories, often well-meaning, trying to explain the policy. They are happy the ban was lifted, but many have hung on to the folklore of the reasons for the ban.
                    I was feed a bunch of crap by seminary teachers, church leaders, and the like but was born after 1965.

                    BTW, I am surprised the fair blog article didn't address the stuff ETB said in conference about the civil rights movement being a "tool of communist deception".

                    Also, I wonder if Bott's comments of God protecting the blacks by not handing over "the car keys" too soon is how he feels about women not having the priesthood as well.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69717

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      Unfortunately, it will continue to be haunted by it as long as people born before about 1965 are around. These are the folks that were fed a bunch of stories, often well-meaning, trying to explain the policy. They are happy the ban was lifted, but many have hung on to the folklore of the reasons for the ban.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • grapevine
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 1992

                        #41
                        For priesthood revelation Dallin in a book he just wrote I think it is called lifes reflections said something to the effect people tried to put reasons on revelation but good idea not to do that now since we don't know all of the reasons and some were wrong.

                        Comment

                        • Clark Addison
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10312

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I was feed a bunch of crap by seminary teachers, church leaders, and the like but was born after 1965.

                          BTW, I am surprised the fair blog article didn't address the stuff ETB said in conference about the civil rights movement being a "tool of communist deception".

                          Also, I wonder if Bott's comments of God protecting the blacks by not handing over "the car keys" too soon is how he feels about women not having the priesthood as well.
                          Yes, I thought about that. I was taught some of this stuff as well. I think that the vast, vast majority of the younger generation have either never heard it, or discount it out of hand. At least I hope so.

                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I said "many" of the pre-1965 folks. :-) I think it is still a minority.

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #43
                            The author is a friend of mine - a good guy.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69717

                              #44
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              Two thoughts on this. First, trying to keep track of all the things that people who are church or BYU employees say must be an ongoing nightmare. No matter what you do, some old guy like this one is going to go off script. Second, this is the kind of thinking that is allowed to persist when you change your policy but don't emphatically repudiate many of the justifications for the old policy.
                              This was my first thought also. The chickens are coming home to roost. As I have mentioned before, a few years ago the church actually formed a committee to draft up a formal apology but it was disbanded by GBH who thought that people don't seem to talk about it much, so he preferred to just ignore it and let it go fade into history. This is the price you pay for such a strategy and I am sure it won't be the last time. With the spotlight on the church due to the Romney campaign, lots of fools will be handed a microphone and asked to elaborate on the ban.

                              By the way, don't forget this little story I shared about a statement made recently by BKP:



                              Thankfully it wasn't reported in the national press, but I think it was just as bad as what Randy Bott said.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27886

                                #45
                                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                If the church wants to make a statement about this kind of thinking - not that they do, but they should - they should fire him now. It's not like they don't have a history of axing people at BYU that speak out....
                                How can they fire him for saying things that he probably learned as a student at BYU and which teachings have never been denounced by the church? (rhetorical question)

                                The best course of action would be for the church to finally apologize for the racist policy, denounce it as not inspired, and then move on. The body of the church can handle such a statement. There won't be mass apostasy. Most of the people in leadership positions have spent the majority of their life without the ban, and those that are uber-orthodox will come up with their own contrived rational as to why past prophets were only speaking as men so their statement are no longer authoritative.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...