Newordermormon.org

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cougjunkie
    *Banned*
    • Nov 2008
    • 23223

    #121
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I'd share it, but you know, pearls before swine.
    How far has he fallen not even his "friends" off the board can have sacred experiences anymore. I bet he is a blast to hang out with.
    *Banned*

    Comment

    • UtahDan
      *
      • Nov 2008
      • 14496

      #122
      Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      The cost of a building is about 2.5 million.

      100 families per ward pay tithing, 3 wards per building, average income in the US is 40,000. $4000x300= 1,200,000 and that is being pretty liberal with income and tithe payers as well as not factoring facility upkeep, welfare to ward members funding activities, etc. Seems the members are getting a bargain.
      So over 20 years the building generates 24M which even including cost of building, maintenance, etc you would never approach a third of. And buildings last a lot longer than 20 years. I'm not disagreeing that people can view it as money well spent (that is, that the value to you may well be 10%), I'm just saying that if you wanted monetize the cost of your use of the building it may be less than 10%.

      You wouldn't pay $4000 a year for a family gym membership for example (where you are getting use of a building and equipment for a couple hours a week).

      Comment

      • Portland Ute
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 5647

        #123
        Originally posted by woot View Post
        Unless you're trying to argue that the cost of a building is 2.5 million per year, I think the church is getting a bargain.
        The rectangle that we meet in is about 16 years old.

        Not much has been changed, upgraded or replaced in that time period.

        The maintenance is mostly carried out, free of charge, by willing ward members.


        Then again, our building only houses 2 wards. cj is probably right. The members are getting a financial bargain.

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #124
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          I'd share it, but you know, pearls before swine.
          That's hardly fair. I have never ridiculed any of your stories in front of you.

          Comment

          • Jarid in Cedar
            CS Institutional Memory
            • Jun 2009
            • 13234

            #125
            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            That's hardly fair. I have never ridiculed any of your stories in front of you.
            Just behind him?
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

            -Rick Majerus

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #126
              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
              So over 20 years the building generates 24M which even including cost of building, maintenance, etc you would never approach a third of. And buildings last a lot longer than 20 years. I'm not disagreeing that people can view it as money well spent (that is, that the value to you may well be 10%), I'm just saying that if you wanted monetize the cost of your use of the building it may be less than 10%.

              You wouldn't pay $4000 a year for a family gym membership for example (where you are getting use of a building and equipment for a couple hours a week).
              Of course you don't see the value in it, that is why you left. But for others they see the value and then some. My inlaws pay tithing diligently, pay a generous fast offering, and just left their entire estate to the church as well. For them paying tithing was not enough they felt like they got so much more out of church that they needed to do more than just pay 10%. They have served numerous callings everything from Bishopric, Stake presidency, RS pres, etc. They work at the Provo temple twice a week, they are both close to 85 years old and still Visit and Home teach every month. I think they have more than done their part. However even after leaving every last dollar when they pass away to the church as well as quite a bit of land, my mother in law says that she wishes she could do more as she could never repay everything the LDS church has done for her.

              I think the majority feel that way.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #127
                Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                So over 20 years the building generates 24M which even including cost of building, maintenance, etc you would never approach a third of. And buildings last a lot longer than 20 years. I'm not disagreeing that people can view it as money well spent (that is, that the value to you may well be 10%), I'm just saying that if you wanted monetize the cost of your use of the building it may be less than 10%.

                You wouldn't pay $4000 a year for a family gym membership for example (where you are getting use of a building and equipment for a couple hours a week).
                This is a silly comparison and you know it. By making it you appear only to be interested in stirring it up. Suit yourself.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • Sullyute
                  a day late/a dollar short
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3308

                  #128
                  Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                  I heard similar things in Europe. I didn't think and still don't think that it was about money, rather leadership.

                  Those "types" tend to be more educated and, generally, better equipped to be leaders.

                  The church has a huge need for capable leaders. Those that have pursued higher education, in general, have acquired some critical thinking skills, in general. It would make sense that the church would look to professionals to find potential leaders. In general.
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  You can turn only so many 3rd grade dropouts into prophets...
                  Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                  My cousin went to Zimbabwe and Zambia and they only proselyted business owners, company managers and government officials. The idea was that you needed people who already know how to be leaders/bureaucrats/administrators in order for the church organization to succeed.
                  I don't know how I feel about this issue. Does the gospel not teach us how to be better people and leaders? Are we not suppose to go to our knees and seek the guidance of the Spirit in our callings and lives? Isn't the whole point of the church to help us become like God? So if the gospel/church cannot make a good leader out of a humble yet poor (non-professional) individual then what good is the church or gospel? Maybe the church needs "professional" leaders first to teach others and then the humble and meek can learn to follow the Spirit and become future leaders. Maybe it is kind of a chicken or the egg question. I don't know.

                  If running a basic ward takes more than following the spirit, then maybe the church is too complicated and convoluted. I don't have a problem seeking after anyone and everyone who will accpet the gospel, but shouldn't anyone who is listening to the spirit and following the will of God be a good leader?
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #129
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Of course you don't see the value in it, that is why you left. But for others they see the value and then some. My inlaws pay tithing diligently, pay a generous fast offering, and just left their entire estate to the church as well. For them paying tithing was not enough they felt like they got so much more out of church that they needed to do more than just pay 10%. They have served numerous callings everything from Bishopric, Stake presidency, RS pres, etc. They work at the Provo temple twice a week, they are both close to 85 years old and still Visit and Home teach every month. I think they have more than done their part. However even after leaving every last dollar when they pass away to the church as well as quite a bit of land, my mother in law says that she wishes she could do more as she could never repay everything the LDS church has done for her.

                    I think the majority feel that way.
                    I don't know if it's a majority or not but I do know it's a significant number of people. I know of several situations where older people reached interesting and even creative arrangements with the church involving their estate.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • UtahDan
                      *
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14496

                      #130
                      Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      This is a silly comparison and you know it. By making it you appear only to be interested in stirring it up. Suit yourself.
                      You are just as bad as cougjunkie. All I said was that a person should pay their own way but that doing so might amount to less than 10%. He wanted to drill down into that comment and I just said that I still think it is accurate, though of course someone could easily feel they had received value and that I was just talking about cost (in the context of the conversation of pulling ones weight). Re-read what I said. You either didn’t understand it or your being obtuse.

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #131
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Of course you don't see the value in it, that is why you left. But for others they see the value and then some. My inlaws pay tithing diligently, pay a generous fast offering, and just left their entire estate to the church as well. For them paying tithing was not enough they felt like they got so much more out of church that they needed to do more than just pay 10%. They have served numerous callings everything from Bishopric, Stake presidency, RS pres, etc. They work at the Provo temple twice a week, they are both close to 85 years old and still Visit and Home teach every month. I think they have more than done their part. However even after leaving every last dollar when they pass away to the church as well as quite a bit of land, my mother in law says that she wishes she could do more as she could never repay everything the LDS church has done for her.

                        I think the majority feel that way.
                        I don't disagree with any of that.

                        Comment

                        • Indy Coug
                          Heartless Bastard
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 18747

                          #132
                          I'm glad my money goes towards things like this

                          http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/ny.../02mormon.html
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

                          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #133
                            Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            This is a silly comparison and you know it. By making it you appear only to be interested in stirring it up. Suit yourself.
                            Despite UtahDan's protests, the gibbon is exactly right. The argument is obscured by the method.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27897

                              #134
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              I'm glad my money goes towards things like this

                              http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/ny.../02mormon.html
                              I've said this before on this site but I'll say it again. Tithing is probably closer to the law of consecration than we realize. There is absolutely no way the members in the poorer countries could have the facilities they have without the contributions from the wealthier members in the US. I'm also very happy to provide the means for the poor and downtrodden to be spiritually uplifted.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • lambdacoug
                                Junior Member
                                • Oct 2011
                                • 3981

                                #135
                                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                I've said this before on this site but I'll say it again. Tithing is probably closer to the law of consecration than we realize. There is absolutely no way the members in the poorer countries could have the facilities they have without the contributions from the wealthier members in the US. I'm also very happy to provide the means for the poor and downtrodden to be spiritually uplifted.
                                I'd rather give my 10% to give the poor and downtrodden more than a good feeling. The church is woefully lacking in humanitarian aid, and its shameful.
                                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                                - Howard Aiken

                                Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                                Comment

                                Working...