The Official Mormon Minutia thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #76
    Originally posted by sparky View Post
    It was the bishop, and he enforced it by stationing a counselor at the doorway of the chapel to verify TR's like the freaking gestapo. Apparently it is/was a mandate from the stake. And yes, it is embarrassing no matter how smoothly the TR probe goes.
    That is pretty tactless. I'd send off an email to the Stake President at the very least and ask them for an explanation and to tell them that they failed in not embarrassing or offending my family citing the CHOI.

    As to the baptism witness, how do priests show their TR?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #77
      Originally posted by sparky View Post
      Showing temple recommends before participating in a baby blessing. Don't know if this is required as of the new CHOI, but when I blessed my youngest I was forced to tell a loved & respected BIL to stay seated because he forgot his TR.
      I have to wonder sometimes if the reason the church tries to keep book 1 of the CHOI secret is attempt to keep the members in the dark about the dumbass things some bishops (and/or SPs) do like this.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Paperback Writer
        Signature won a Pulitzer
        • Nov 2010
        • 5211

        #78
        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Interesting. I was told one time to ask any visitors who wanted to participate in a blessing to bring their Temple Recommend but then it wasn't enforced.

        I have a hard time thinking any Bishop is going to stop somebody from standing in the circle or delay the blessing to force people to produce a recommend in the middle of Sacrament Meeting.
        I think some of my past Bishops had the right idea when it came to outside ward members participating in ordinances like baptisms and baby blessings. They would put the task of TR holding on the father/relative who invited them to participate. The bishop would simply say that in order to participate the person needs to be ordained and be temple worthy. If the father/relative could vouch for their guests, that is all that was necessary. There was no asking to see a TR - "may I see you papers". That's just odd.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #79
          Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
          I think some of my past Bishops had the right idea when it came to outside ward members participating in ordinances like baptisms and baby blessings. They would put the task of TR holding on the father/relative who invited them to participate. The bishop would simply say that in order to participate the person needs to be ordained and be temple worthy. If the father/relative could vouch for their guests, that is all that was necessary. There was no asking to see a TR - "may I see you papers". That's just odd.
          Performing the ordinance in another ward is one thing (i.e., being the mouthpiece), but requiring a temple recommend of someone standing in is silly. Shoot, the person performing the ordinance doesn't even have to be temple worthy. They just have to have the appropriate priesthood.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Paperback Writer
            Signature won a Pulitzer
            • Nov 2010
            • 5211

            #80
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Performing the ordinance in another ward is one thing (i.e., being the mouthpiece), but requiring a temple recommend of someone standing in is silly. Shoot, the person performing the ordinance doesn't even have to be temple worthy. They just have to have the appropriate priesthood.
            Totally, agree. There was a family visiting from a neighboring stake and the child was going to be baptized by his grandfather. The Bishop mentioned somewhat in jest to the father and his Dad that grandpa needs to be at least an ordained priest. Grandpa nods and says he was a priest as a YM before receiving the higher priesthood. The kid was listening in and asks the Bishop what happens if grandpa wasn't ordained to the priesthood. The Bishop just explained that he would be baptized again by someone who did. I don't reacall ever being "carded" for standing in on baby blessings in my area and haven't heard of this occurring in my ward either. Perhaps things have changed in the past few years since I've had an opportunity to do this.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

            Comment

            • HauteCoug
              Wants a Silver Fox
              • Oct 2011
              • 899

              #81
              My mom always gets pissed when I have a beau who doesn't refer to her as "Sister".

              I think it's creepy.
              what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #82
                Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                My mom always gets pissed when I have a beau who doesn't refer to her as "Sister".

                I think it's creepy.
                Do you call your boyfriends beaus? That is creepy. How old are you?
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21157

                  #83
                  Originally posted by HottieCoug View Post
                  My mom always gets pissed when I have a beau who doesn't refer to her as "Sister".

                  I think it's creepy.
                  She would like Goat:

                  Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  I married a sister from my mission. I think the first time we dry-humped, I was still referring to her as "Sister _____" or just "______."

                  That was kind of cool!
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • HauteCoug
                    Wants a Silver Fox
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 899

                    #84
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Do you call your boyfriends beaus? That is creepy. How old are you?
                    65.
                    what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                    Comment

                    • clackamascoug
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9709

                      #85
                      Back to the original topic.

                      When 80% of the people back their cars/trucks into the parking spot on Stake Conference Sunday, when they don't on regular Sunday's.

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27899

                        #86
                        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        Back to the original topic.

                        When 80% of the people back their cars/trucks into the parking spot on Stake Conference Sunday, when they don't on regular Sunday's.
                        Welcome back!!!
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • clackamascoug
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 9709

                          #87
                          Thanks, I've checked in a lot, but with too much time on my hands this time of year, I couldn't help myself.

                          Comment

                          • NorthwestUteFan
                            אלוף
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 3384

                            #88
                            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            Back to the original topic.

                            When 80% of the people back their cars/trucks into the parking spot on Stake Conference Sunday, when they don't on regular Sunday's.
                            Do you practice "Ferry Style" parking at SP? (all cars packed into the parking lot in rows, with barely any room between). We do that because the police ticket any cars parked out on the street.

                            When my son was baptized last year I wanted for my 85 year-old grandfather to confirm him. My son's middle name comes from my grandfather's name, and they have a strong tie between them. The bishop asked, off to the side and before the start of the meeting, to see Grandpa's temple recommend. He didn't even question my father, father-in-law, or friend from the next stake over to show him 'zee papers'.

                            Comment

                            • Clark Addison
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10316

                              #89
                              Dress code for entering the chapel.

                              Sometimes I think this is fine. If the youth are going to have a meeting in the chapel, I think it is fine to ask them to dress up a bit. Some people have extended this line of thinking a bit further than I would. For Christmas, our ward choir is singing one song with the Activity Day girls. I arranged with the leader to have a practice on the night they usually meet, and had a bunch of choir members there. The AD leader got released that week, so on Wednesday night the assistant leader was in charge. I reminded her about the song, and asked her if it was still OK to practice. The conversation went like this:

                              AD Leader: Yes, that's fine. Where are you going to practice?
                              Me: In the chapel. The choir is there.
                              ADL: Uh oh, that could be a problem. We are having a pajama party today, and the girls are wearing pajamas.
                              Me: That's OK, I don't mind

                              The leader's look told me that she didn't think it was appropriate for sweat-pants wearing girls to enter the chapel, but I pretended not to notice.

                              Comment

                              • Dwight Schr-ute
                                Members Only
                                • May 2011
                                • 4917

                                #90
                                Here's on that the women may like to speak up on. Bra over garments. This was how I had always been taught (not that I had lots of discussions on the matter), so when my fiance asked about it, this was the advice that I have her. And the advice that she implemented, despite the fact that she hated it.

                                A few years ago while getting some new garments, she asked the matron there about it. Apparently the matron told her that there was no policy about where the bra should be on top or beneath the garment, so she could do what was most comfortable.

                                Below it's been ever since.
                                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                                Comment

                                Working...