Called to Serve?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #31
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Check out Misquoting Jesus by Bart Erhman.

    EDIT: Hey, maybe I can point you to one of the quotes:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=Aul...page&q&f=false
    is the whole book worth downloading?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #32
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Check out Misquoting Jesus by Bart Erhman.

      EDIT: Hey, maybe I can point you to one of the quotes:

      http://books.google.com/books?id=Aul...page&q&f=false
      OK...I certainly don't know enough about it to dispute either you or him, but fasting is a Judaic practice as well. Chances are, Jesus and his disciples fasted.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69749

        #33
        Originally posted by camleish View Post
        is the whole book worth downloading?
        I thought it was terrific.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #34
          Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
          No, the part where you said, "Fasting may not be for you personally, but to dump on the practice entirely is ridiculously shortsighted."
          Oh. You're referring to the part were I took issue with you effectively labeling people who believed in fasting as idiots. Gotcha.

          Christ called the Pharisees hypocrites and fools. I called your statement shortsighted.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69749

            #35
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            OK...I certainly don't know enough about it to dispute either you or him, but fasting is a Judaic practice as well. Chances are, Jesus and his disciples fasted.
            Yeah, I was mostly being facetious in my earlier post. I don't believe the scribes invented fasting, but they certainly increased the emphasis on fasting.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • UtahDan
              *
              • Nov 2008
              • 14496

              #36
              Originally posted by camleish View Post
              is the whole book worth downloading?
              Definitely. It is fascinating.

              Comment

              • KillerDog
                a.k.a. K-dog
                • Feb 2009
                • 4196

                #37
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Oh. You're referring to the part were I took issue with you effectively labeling people who believed in fasting as idiots. Gotcha.

                Christ called the Pharisees hypocrites and fools. I called your statement shortsighted.
                Don't try and rationalize your way out of it. I said, "I don't believe in fasting. I think it is silly and useless. I think the regular fast days and the accompanying testimony are among our stupidest traditions in the LDS Church. How should I proceed?" First you gave good advice as a response to my question. Then you came to yourself and made a snarky comment. It is almost like you can't help yourself.

                Do you really believe it is christlike to insult someone asking for advice regarding a difficult situation or are you just being defensive because your comment was thoughtless?

                Comment

                • Jacob
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 6801

                  #38
                  Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                  Do you really believe it is christlike to insult someone asking for advice regarding a difficult situation or are you just being defensive because your comment was thoughtless?
                  You seem to be over-reacting to his comment that dumping on the practice is "ridiculously short-sighted." That is pretty much on par with calling his traditional religious ritual stupid. No, actually his comment is more mild.

                  Comment

                  • KillerDog
                    a.k.a. K-dog
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 4196

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    You seem to be over-reacting to his comment that dumping on the practice is "ridiculously short-sighted." That is pretty much on par with calling his traditional religious ritual stupid. No, actually his comment is more mild.
                    If someone other than Indy had made the comment I would think it was an accidental turn of phrase. Given his history, I don't give him that latitude. If you think I called his religous ritual stupid, you need to work on reading and comprehension.

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #40
                      Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                      Don't try and rationalize your way out of it. I said, "I don't believe in fasting. I think it is silly and useless. I think the regular fast days and the accompanying testimony are among our stupidest traditions in the LDS Church. How should I proceed?" First you gave good advice as a response to my question. Then you came to yourself and made a snarky comment. It is almost like you can't help yourself.

                      Do you really believe it is christlike to insult someone asking for advice regarding a difficult situation or are you just being defensive because your comment was thoughtless?
                      That was an insult? Hardly. I didn't say anything about you; I just critiqued your comments. You would benefit from being less hypersensitive. That is a constructive observation.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • KillerDog
                        a.k.a. K-dog
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 4196

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        That was an insult? Hardly. I didn't say anything about you; I just critiqued your comments. You would benefit from being less hypersensitive. That is a constructive observation.
                        I'll take your constructive observation as it is intended.

                        Comment

                        • Jacob
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 6801

                          #42
                          Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                          If you think I called his religous ritual stupid, you need to work on reading and comprehension.
                          My reading comprehension or your ability to write what you mean?

                          Comment

                          • KillerDog
                            a.k.a. K-dog
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 4196

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                            My reading comprehension or your ability to write what you mean?
                            "I think the regular fast days and the accompanying testimony are among our stupidest traditions in the LDS Church."

                            Is this the quote you are referencing?

                            Comment

                            • Jacob
                              Junior Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 6801

                              #44
                              Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              "I think the regular fast days and the accompanying testimony are among our stupidest traditions in the LDS Church."

                              Is this the quote you are referencing?
                              Exactly. Apology accepted.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69749

                                #45
                                What a silly hijack.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...