Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    lol ... have you actually watched the video I embedded or visited the links? In the video there are three individuals, one of which is a prominent proponent of intelligent design and the other two refuse to label themselves as intelligent design proponents, but no longer accept Darwinian orthodoxy as "absolute." I trust you realize that most proponents of intelligent design certainly accept that evolution is a mechanism by which the development of complex biological structures has occurred, but they do not accept evolution as the only mechanism, precisely because the biological complexity that has and that currently exists on our planet is far too ordered and intricate to be chalked up to randomness.

I then posted a link to a Darwin apologist reviewing a book (which I have read) called The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life, by David Quammen. Quammen is most certainly a proponent of Darwinian evolution, but has written an interesting book that looks beyond the orthodoxy, by citing science that is REVISING some of Darwins core theories. Here's what he says in another link I posted:

Would it surprise you to know that in Quammen's book, he never once mentions intelligent design. And obviously, it is a surprise to you that not one individual in any of the links states that evolution didn't happen. And neither have I stated it. Good gravy ...

I'm trying to figure out what the controversy here is. This is how science works. Scientists challenge the existing "orthodoxy" with new hypotheses and then study and experiment. If the hypothesis is sound, eventually it will be accepted by the scientific community, and science will further proceed.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
      I'm trying to figure out what the controversy here is. This is how science works. Scientists challenge the existing "orthodoxy" with new hypotheses and then study and experiment. If the hypothesis is sound, eventually it will be accepted by the scientific community, and science will further proceed.
      Apparently it's proof that ID has been proven while Darwin was mostly wrong according to tooblue.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal
        You are correct. There is no controversy. Science is doing what science does. Unfortunately, for the defenders of the orthodoxy, Darwin is being revised, and that's very startling. Which ultimately means the defenders actually believe more in the orthodoxy and less in the science.

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Apparently it's proof that ID has been proven while Darwin was mostly wrong according to tooblue.
        Oh, Topper you are better than this. Who said that intelligent design is proven? It was merely an interesting video—no need to get your knickers in a twist.
        Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

When I was YMP I remember the 1C teaching a lesson and for some reason he brought up that mormons don’t believe in evolution. He also referred the kids to a YouTube video that explains how the Grand Canyon could have been formed in the matter of a thousand years, thus promulgating a young earth theory. I think that was the last time I let him teach in a combined setting.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            When I was YMP I remember the 1C teaching a lesson and for some reason he brought up that mormons don’t believe in evolution. He also referred the kids to a YouTube video that explains how the Grand Canyon could have been formed in the matter of a thousand years, thus promulgating a young earth theory. I think that was the last time I let him teach in a combined setting.
            Yet another data point about Texas Mo's. What's the deal down there?
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

You are correct. There is no controversy. Science is doing what science does. Unfortunately, for the defenders of the orthodoxy, Darwin is being revised, and that's very startling. Which ultimately means the defenders actually believe more in the orthodoxy and less in the science.
              "Defenders of the orthodoxy". I loved that Judas Priest album.

Just how pervasive are these defenders? And how many brave souls are battling them with real science? It's hard to know who the real scientists are when you're in the orthodoxy bubble like I am.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Oh, Topper you are better than this. Who said that intelligent design is proven? It was merely an interesting video—no need to get your knickers in a twist.
                You keep saying that people are startled. What on earth are you talking about? No one here was startled. I wasn’t startled by any assault on Darwinian orthodoxy. I find nothing there that really challenges Darwinian thought. I just don’t get what you keep going on about.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  You keep saying that people are startled. What on earth are you talking about? No one here was startled. I wasn’t startled by any assault on Darwinian orthodoxy. I find nothing there that really challenges Darwinian thought. I just don’t get what you keep going on about.
                  Nailed it.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Just how pervasive are these defenders? And how many brave souls are battling them with real science? It's hard to know who the real scientists are when you're in the orthodoxy bubble like I am.
                    Absurdity

Defensiveness

Nailed it
                    Denial

He also referred the kids to a YouTube video that explains how the Grand Canyon could have been formed in the matter of a thousand years, thus promulgating a young earth theory. I think that was the last time I let him teach in a combined setting.
                    Texas size stupidity

Comment

Texas size stupidity
                      He was actually from Ohio
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        He was actually from Ohio
                        Near Dayton?

Comment

Working...
                        X