Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned in church today

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    When my wife was RS pres, I only addressed her as "President" ... even at home. Kind of awkward, but I wanted to teach my kids respect for the office.
    A certain scene with Jack Nicholson comes to mind.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Man, you are dense. We aren't talking about your Bishop (who IS your Bishop). We are talking about the Relief Society President, the Deacon's Quorum President, etc., who "are not your president". According to your own words, you will only afford respect to the people in your direct chain of command who also aren't your personal friends. And, apparently, maybe not even them.
      I’m not making a legal argument here. If I know the RSP well I’ll call her by her first name. If I don’t, I’ll call her Sister Soandso. I never call her president. I don’t call my EQP “president” even though he’s my president because he’s also a good friend and it feels weird to not call him by his first name.

I don’t know the pope or President Macron so I don’t know how I’d address them. I guess it depends on the situation and who is around.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Dumbest argument of 2019? A strong contender.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
          A certain scene with Jack Nicholson comes to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            When my wife was RS pres, I only addressed her as "President" ... even at home. Kind of awkward, but I wanted to teach my kids respect for the office.
            Well done. That is legit funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wow, 11 months since the last post in this thread.

One of the deacons in our ward had on some high-water pants and low-cut socks. Seeing his ankles with every step, it immediately brought Agador Spartacus from The Birdcage to mind.

Also, I learned from a tearful testimony that noticing at the last instant a non-venous snake on the sidewalk is evidence of God’s love and protection for us.

Comment

• Old HS football coach on mission trainer had comp get up half hour early on p day for Pepsi at convenience store and had big waistline. Comp still has it. He got on kids not to drink soda during football season. I still did on road trips when I got the free meal.

I’m on my last day of quarantine so watched church at home. He is a Raider fan so mentioned me when talking about Raiders, I had them win 40 percent of time him 20. Talked about Raiders when he was talking about hope. Our Bishop who is in the fab and bb coaching staff is a Broncos fan so he kind of said sorry Bishop.

Didn’t say I never pick BYU to los3 in March madness.

Comment

• Originally posted by grapevine View Post
                  Old HS football coach on mission trainer had comp get up half hour early on p day for Pepsi at convenience store and had big waistline. Comp still has it. He got on kids not to drink soda during football season. I still did on road trips when I got the free meal.

I’m on my last day of quarantine so watched church at home. He is a Raider fan so mentioned me when talking about Raiders, I had them win 40 percent of time him 20. Talked about Raiders when he was talking about hope. Our Bishop who is in the fab and bb coaching staff is a Broncos fan so he kind of said sorry Bishop.

Didn’t say I never pick BYU to los3 in March madness.
                  I can’t avoid getting mentioned in church. Last summer my cousins wife eight months pregnant was hit by a drunk driver. Someone who had previous dui,s and altercations. Cousin and his two boys survived. Younger one on neck spleen for some time. Should make full recovery though. He met someone that lost her husband to apparent pulmonary embolism previous year.

they spoke in church. Talk was on lessons from liberty jail. Of course mentioned there trials of losing previous spouses. His five year old kid mentioned iv,s slower than Grapevine. Trying to make some happiness out of tragedy, I was again mentioned in church.

Comment

I can’t avoid getting mentioned in church. Last summer my cousins wife eight months pregnant was hit by a drunk driver. Someone who had previous dui,s and altercations. Cousin and his two boys survived. Younger one on neck spleen for some time. Should make full recovery though. He met someone that lost her husband to apparent pulmonary embolism previous year.

they spoke in church. Talk was on lessons from liberty jail. Of course mentioned there trials of losing previous spouses. His five year old kid mentioned iv,s slower than Grapevine. Trying to make some happiness out of tragedy, I was again mentioned in church.
                    Lol, that is funny. When primary kids know your name, you’ve hit big time.
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

great story, gv. even better if the kid actually called you grapevine.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Goat has some neighbors that are pretty good athletes. They may have a special need sibling or neighbor. Stake Priesthood meeting soon to be missionary and temple worker called up. He talked about the athletes baptizing there sibling. Quoting Russell M Nelson’s talk when he first became Apostle on abortion and talked about Goats neighbor. How they were important.

funny story bsing after meeting someone said you tell the liberal Blaine county bastards that. I would think most people in a stake priesthood meeting would be pro life anyway. Wood river valley Sebastian for liberals though.

Comment

• I learned that the third Sunday teacher pays no attention to Sunday School unless he is teaching. He is repeating the lesson from the 1st Sunday.
                          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Nothing to do with learning about doctrine today but...

I learned that if you're wearing a mask, do not use one of those mint Listerine Breath Strips. I keep a little packet of them in my suit coat pocket and decided to try one. It releases a significant amount of mint all at once. Soon my eyes were watering from the concentrated minty breath that comes out even if you're only breathing through your nose. Took two or three minutes to recover.

Comment

• My stake is returning to a full meeting schedule in a couple of weeks, with the direction to continue to wear masks for the time being while in church meetings. This is coming from the area presidency or higher. No big deal to me, but from my stake president's letter to members of the stake addressing concerns, asking members to still wear masks for a little bit longer is causing some kind of significant faith crisis for some, apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                                My stake is returning to a full meeting schedule in a couple of weeks, with the direction to continue to wear masks for the time being while in church meetings. This is coming from the area presidency or higher. No big deal to me, but from my stake president's letter to members of the stake addressing concerns, asking members to still wear masks for a little bit longer is causing some kind of significant faith crisis for some, apparently.
                                We started this last week. It was soooo much better than zoom meetings. I actually enjoyed elders quorum. No one has said if masks are required or not but we still have 100% of people wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X