October 2021 Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

My boy is the deacons quorum president and my daughter is the young womens class president.

And there was no participation, it was simply a regurgitation of things that have already been presented of the failed new program.
    Yeah this new program is a cluster. I have refrained from saying anything bad about in front of my kids because I want them to keep trying. And I will do my best to help them set and accomplish their goals. But I still cannot believe that, after a decade plus with the writing on the wall re parting ways with the BSA, this is the replacement program what they decided to roll out.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Yeah this new program is a cluster. I have refrained from saying anything bad about in front of my kids because I want them to keep trying. And I will do my best to help them set and accomplish their goals. But I still cannot believe that, after a decade plus with the writing on the wall re parting ways with the BSA, this is the replacement program what they decided to roll out.
      Apparently, I am not involved enough to even know and/or remember what the program entails.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        The Saturday evening session is gone. No more priesthood/RS session.
        When my father was alive he would regularly call me twice a year and invite me to accompany him to the Saturday priesthood session. I regularly declined, and after several years he stopped inviting me. I have to admit it made me sad when he stopped inviting me, and in retrospect I wish I had that memory now that he's gone.
        Last edited by Non Sequitur; 06-08-2021, 01:59 AM.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post

I try not to be a cynic and I’m no KK fan, never was. But I do hope this move will not further reduce the number of female speakers we get to hear from at GC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          this is my wife's concern as well. Hopefully the church leadership expands the role of women in the regular sessions if general conference

Comment

The new youth program is great. I am surprised it took this long to get away from the outdated and diminished returns of Scouting. There is actual alignment now between young men and young women's activities. The new focus of the program has been liberating. When the boys plan a canoe trip, the girls then plan and execute their own canoe trip. The "this activity is better suited to girls, while this is activity is better suited to boys" dichotomy is disappearing.

We also have more parents involved than ever. And it has been a great blessing during the protracted lockdowns—allowing for much more creativity and youth ACTUALLY planning and running the activities.
            Last edited by tooblue; 06-08-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

The new youth program is great. I am surprised it took this long to get away from the outdated and diminished returns of Scouting. There is actual alignment now between young men and young women's activities. The new focus of the program has been liberating. When the boys plan a canoe trip, the girls then plan and execute their own canoe trip. The "this activity is better suited to girls, while this is activity is better suited to boys" dichotomy is disappearing.

We also have more parents involved than ever. And it has been a great blessing during the protracted lockdowns—allowing for much more creativity and youth ACTUALLY planning and running the activities.
              When I was YMP, this is exactly how it worked. If the boys didn't plan it and run it, we didn't do it. Took me a bit to get the scoutmaster on board....but once he figured out he could make his ideas the kids ideas, if he started laying the groundwork early, then it was easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

FYI I wasn’t talking about activities. I’m talking about the individual goals stuff.

As Tick points out, a good youth program has always been planned and driven by the youth and supported by the leaders.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

My boy is the deacons quorum president and my daughter is the young womens class president.

And there was no participation, it was simply a regurgitation of things that have already been presented of the failed new program.

Are you actively trying to get an "oh, brother" out of Lebowski???

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Are you actively trying to get an "oh, brother" out of Lebowski???
                    I am so close!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

No more kid choosing between prom and homecoming dance and Saturday meeting. Do most schools have there dance on Saturday for homecoming so don’t stress after game and can enjoy dance. I never attended homecoming dance or prom, you will regret it. I don’t. So when homecoming dance and prom take place conference weekend kids don’t have to choose. I have seen women in priesthood meetings before.

Comment

FYI I wasn’t talking about activities. I’m talking about the individual goals stuff.

As Tick points out, a good youth program has always been planned and driven by the youth and supported by the leaders.

I've always thought the whole youth activities planning and support - was a knee-jerk reaction to the youth always complaining about lame activities. Some unspoken hero in a PEC meeting in a galaxy far-far away - joked out of desperation "if they hate my activities - why don't they just plan it themselves - and then they can hate each other." I imagine there was a long pause while the PEC members looked at each other with their - wry gotcha smiles - and said - "yeah - let's do that - that'll teach them ungrateful bastards."

The Bishop signed off on it - without even praying about it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Comment

Just kidding!

https://twitter.com/Ch_JesusChrist/s...20326659211267

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              Nope. Nope nope nope. 6 hours of talks for the entire family in one day, and another 4 the next day places too much burden on the family. Well, my family. I care less about others'.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X