Do fathers need anything?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #16
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I wish I had a niku-style day off today too. I have to teach primary so I am sitting in sacrament meeting now. The only good part is the kids singing. I have never heard a talk on father's day that has doe anything more than make me feel inadequate. This year is no exception. If you are not going to cancel church for us, the least you can do is uplift us and not make us feel guilty that we don't measure up to the whitewashed vision that you have of your dad, at least when he wasn't beating you.
    I'd love to give a talk about all the really bad mistakes that my dad made raising me, and then end it with something like, "don't make the same mistakes that Johnny Mac made." My dad was a great dad, but he screwed up, royally, from time to time. Looking back on his peccadilloes makes me feel better when I screw up, royally, from time to time.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #17
      I got a grocery sack of snacks & goodies from the fam. That works for me.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #18
        I would rather not get anything from church, but if they insist I think that a special men's only lesson in the cultural hall showing the US Open while the ladies teach the lessons would be good.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #19
          Our ward had a failure to communicate this week and the fathers got nothing. NOTHING! No Big Hunk. No Snickers. Not even a paper tie. Last month the men took over all the lessons while the women enjoyed a social hour in the gym with a pretty fancy desert and fruit spread. No praise to the men in our ward.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #20
            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Our ward had a failure to communicate this week and the fathers got nothing. NOTHING! No Big Hunk. No Snickers. Not even a paper tie. Last month the men took over all the lessons while the women enjoyed a social hour in the gym with a pretty fancy desert and fruit spread. No praise to the men in our ward.
            But, we have the priesthood so it all evens out.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Slim
              Straight Out the Trailer
              • Jul 2009
              • 1007

              #21
              I was going to say nothing but that Big Hunk sounds mighty tasty.

              My family is out of town and has been gone for almost 3 weeks while I study for and take boards. They get back Tuesday.

              Worst. Fathers. Day. Ever.

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15671

                #22
                Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                Ooooo.... That reminds me, honey... I have a list of things that need to be done before bedtime tomorrow night...
                Why? What happens at bedtime?
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  We always give stuff (flowers and candy) to the women on mothers day, but is it necessary for the men on fathers day? I don't care if I get anything but is that how otheren feel.
                  The best mother's day was when the bishop decided that we would only have sacrament meeting only.
                  The best father's day I had is when my kids made me a tie out of gray duct tape. I wore that thing to church with a lot of pride. The bishop, however has never let us out early for father's day. I guess he doesn't like us as much.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • marsupial
                    Mississippi Queen
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3678

                    #24
                    Our ward is the same for both Mother's and Father's Day. No extra meetings are scheduled and the gift is a king sized candy bar.

                    I like the idea of cookies at the last 30 minutes of church with the kids and dads. Assuming I am still Primary president next year, I will suggest something like that. The kids would love it.
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      My RS pres already has everything taken care of. Homemade cinnamon rolls and out of priesthood 15 minutes early.
                      We did that. Everyone enjoyed it, and I only had to teach the HP group for 30 minutes.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #26
                        Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        Why? What happens at bedtime?
                        We head to our rooms and sleep.

                        Comment

                        • RC Vikings
                          Known Heterosexual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8789

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          We always give stuff (flowers and candy) to the women on mothers day, but is it necessary for the men on fathers day? I don't care if I get anything but is that how otheren feel.
                          It can be a little awkward to give out what men need during Sacrament meeting.

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #28
                            We met as a priesthood body. The HP GL bore his testimony and then we all gathered in the cultural hall where the RS had an ice cream bar. It was nice. Lots of toppings along with brownies, blondies and cookies. No lactaid though. Ouch.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • DrumNFeather
                              Invisible Swordsman
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8854

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              We met as a priesthood body. The HP GL bore his testimony and then we all gathered in the cultural hall where the RS had an ice cream bar. It was nice. Lots of toppings along with brownies, blondies and cookies. No lactaid though. Ouch.
                              We got candy bars. Though I hear UD got popcorn, candy, and a drink.
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                              Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                              Comment

                              • The_Tick
                                Made something of myself
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7295

                                #30
                                Hershey's Chocolate Bar.

                                Not the Fun Size version, nor the King Size. Just the regular.

                                Comment

                                Working...