Why Men Hate Going To Church

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #31
    Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
    I figure Church attendance is what they mean when they say "enduring to the end". Most weeks I get very little out of it.
    do we need to trot out SWK here?

    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • Blueintheface
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 15382

      #32
      Good grief. Sounds like a lot of people here have more issues with attention deficit than doctrinal issues. I teach primary and love every minute and I'm not what you'd call a "head nodder."
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

      Comment

      • Slim
        Straight Out the Trailer
        • Jul 2009
        • 1007

        #33
        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        Good grief. Sounds like a lot of people here have more issues with attention deficit than doctrinal issues. I teach primary and love every minute and I'm not what you'd call a "head nodder."
        I loved when I taught primary. One of the few times I looked forward to going to church.

        As far as the ADHD thing.... I can sit and study biochem or pathology for 10-12 hours a day but PLEASE don't make me sit there for an hour and listen to someone read one of those lesson manuals.

        Comment

        • Blueintheface
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 15382

          #34
          Originally posted by Slim View Post
          I loved when I taught primary. One of the few times I looked forward to going to church.

          As far as the ADHD thing.... I can sit and study biochem or pathology for 10-12 hours a day but PLEASE don't make me sit there for an hour and listen to someone read one of those lesson manuals.
          I just duck my head and think to myself. I may not be paying attention but I try to direct my thoughts to, at the very least, my family.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #35
            Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            I try to direct my thoughts to, at the very least, my family.
            I think the point is that we'd like to, ya know, be with our family rather than have to direct our thoughts to them.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Solon
              Lost in the flood
              • Nov 2008
              • 5747

              #36
              Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              I propose that we read this book. It's cheap and will lead to all sorts of interesting discussions. It might even contribute to a more beneficial church experience.
              I'm in. I just ordered it.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #37
                From Mormon Matters:

                In Paolo Coehelo’s book The Alchemist, the story begins with a shepherd boy tending his flock as he inwardly complains about the heavy blanket he carries. In the heat of the noonday sun, the blanket’s weight seems an unnecessary burden. But when night falls, and the cold settles in, the shepherd boy covers himself with his heavy blanket. And at this point, the narrator explains, the shepherd boy feels grateful for both the blanket’s warmth, and its weight.

                With this simple story, Coehelo illustrates the timeless truth that anything of benefit carries a corresponding burden. For that reason, it makes little sense to mentally categorize something as being either a benefit or a burden; things are usually both.
                Running isn't always fun either. But I like how I feel when I have done it. I like that it makes me healthier. I like the idea that better health with help me live longer or fend off some life threatening condition more easily. Sometimes it feels great just to do it. Other times it is a grind. It hasn't ruined my knees yet but it probably will eventually.

                Comment

                Working...