Why Men Hate Going To Church

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1

    Why Men Hate Going To Church

    I'm reading "Why Men Hate Going to Church," and it's quite an interesting book. I certainly don't agree with everything in it, but the author makes some valid points. It would be fun for CUF to read it.

    One of the points is eerily akin to something I said during President Packer's talk:

    Me: Correlation has emasucalted men and patronized women. It's substituted policy wonks, company men, and wusses for leaders.

    Sirs: I haven't thought about it like that.

    Me: And its revised history to turn every Church leader into a wuss. Even Brigham Young--a hardy pioneer man who could sometimes be brash--has been correlated into a complete wimp. Maybe this is why some men cling to Captain Moroni so much--he was an ass kicker.

    Sirs: Ok, I can see that.

    Me: It's making me rethink my opposition to Scouts. Scouts is the last corner in the Church where men are rewarded for taking risks, being courageous, and coming up with new ideas. Try any of those things in your basic Mormon meeting and it isn't likely to go over well. Moreover, Duty to God is a wussified replacement for Scouts. It's waiting in the wings.

    Sirs: But the Young Women's program gets short shrift compared to the Scouts.

    Me: That's true. Perhaps that's what policy wonks do to compensate for trying to turn all of the stallions into geldings. It's the lining on the velvet coffin.

    Sirs: You're sexy when you talk like this.

    Me: Let's have meat for dinner.
    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
  • Slim
    Straight Out the Trailer
    • Jul 2009
    • 1007

    #2
    I've never heard of the book. Sounds interesting.

    I've been thinking lately that one of the biggest draws that keep people coming back to church is the need that many people have to belong to something. I think that this is either stronger for women, or less satisfied outside of church by career.

    My wife is pretty much a social Mormon. She goes to church, doesn't pay any attention to anything they say, has zero clue on most of the history or deeper doctrine of the church, and doesn't really care to learn about it either. She goes purely to hang out with like-minded friends.

    I, on the other hand, feel that I have enough friends already so I attend to appease my wife. She's happy, I'm happy (I can usually find something to do on my phone for few hours I'm at church) and it all works out.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #3
      SIRS: OK, I'll pull a steak out of the freezer to dethaw.

      SIEQ: I wasn't talking about that kind of meat, baby.

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #4
        For probably the same reasons why I hated going to church when I was 7 years old.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • Art Vandelay
          Striving for mediocrity
          • Jul 2009
          • 10516

          #5
          Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

          Me: Correlation has emasucalted men and patronized women. It's substituted policy wonks, company men, and wusses for leaders.
          Ugh..sad but probably true.

          Comment

          • Babs
            Not a Lawyer
            • Nov 2008
            • 17128

            #6
            Originally posted by Slim View Post
            I've never heard of the book. Sounds interesting.

            I've been thinking lately that one of the biggest draws that keep people coming back to church is the need that many people have to belong to something. I think that this is either stronger for women, or less satisfied outside of church by career.
            I think women are more likely to feel that it's important for the kids to go to church.

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #7
              I hate going to Church sometimes because I can read the bloody Ensign myself without having someone else plagiarize it while mispronouncing half the words.

              I can also read the lessons straight from the manuals.

              Other than taking the Sacrament and dropping off my tithing, going to Church rarely brings me anything other than boredom. My ward doesn't even sing very well.
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • FMCoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 6825

                #8
                I figure Church attendance is what they mean when they say "enduring to the end". Most weeks I get very little out of it.
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                Comment

                • I.J. Reilly
                  Nobody's Fool
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2949

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  Me: Correlation has emasucalted men and patronized women. It's substituted policy wonks, company men, and wusses for leaders.


                  Nibley gave this talk at a commencement address, but I sometimes think that the primary audience he had in mind were not those that were graduating.

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #10
                    What did Christ get out of doing what he did?
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • cowboy
                      Homer Weems
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5740

                      #11
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      ...going to Church rarely brings me anything other than boredom...
                      Ask not what your church can do for you, but what you can do for your church.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

                      Comment

                      • FMCoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 6825

                        #12
                        Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        Ask not what your church can do for you, but what you can do for your church.
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug
                        What did Christ get out of doing what he did?
                        Well said.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                        Comment

                        • Jarid in Cedar
                          CS Institutional Memory
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 13234

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          I think women are more likely to feel that it's important for the kids to go to church.
                          This
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                          -Rick Majerus

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Ask not what your church can do for you, but what you can do for your church.
                            I've asked to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher ("if you ever need someone with a solid base a teacher to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher, I'd be willing"). Instead I'm "service projects coordinator" and my wife is the damned nursery leader, and our daughter in the only kid in the nursery!
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • FMCoug
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6825

                              #15
                              I do enjoy teaching my youth Sunday School class. I guess it's the talk part of Sacrament and Priesthood that I am "enduring" through.
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                              Comment

                              Working...