What is more damaging?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #16
    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Perhaps porn is more common than guys pulling off massive financial scams.
    ANd is more likely to affect the family realtionship dynamic across a broader spectrum than the showy but less common scam.

    Neither shoudl eb encouraged or ignored, however.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #17
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      Perhaps porn is more common than guys pulling off massive financial scams.
      My point is not what is more common, my point is what causes more damage, looking at Playboys and SI swimsuit or financial scams.

      Comment

      • Color Me Badd Fan
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 12519

        #18
        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        Perhaps porn is more common than guys pulling off massive financial scams.
        A massive financial scam is far worse than porn in my opinion, but so is murder and rape and you don't hear very much being said in GC against those things either. Not many people have the ability or disposition to pull off a financial scam while every male is capable of getting porn and many, if not most, wouldn't mind looking at a naked female.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #19
          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          to people inside the church and even those outside of the church.

          Men who sneak looks at Playboy, SI swimsuit and other comparable stuff or men in the church who pull off massive financial scams.

          Anyone have a theory why we don't hear more about the sacred duty of being honest in dealing with our fellow men. Seems porn gets more attention.

          Maybe it is because we need to protect our youth and our youth aren't in a position to rip people off.
          I'm not sure why someone would believe either type damages the church.

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #20
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I'm not sure why someone would believe either type damages the church.
            I think I said people, not church. Of course the more flawed members you have the weaker the body of the church???

            Comment

            • jay santos
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 13652

              #21
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              I think I said people, not church. Of course the more flawed members you have the weaker the body of the church???
              I don't buy this concept that the fact that a church has sinners in it makes it a bad church. I don't buy the concept that our youth can't know that people in their church are sinners.

              Comment

              • Green Lantern
                Has overcome great fear
                • Aug 2009
                • 2289

                #22
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                I vote for financial scams, since looking at porn isn't damaging to people whose religion doesn't forbid it.
                Well, that is kind of a generalization. I know non-religious people whose lives have been damaged because of addiction to porn.
                Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                --Portland Ute

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #23
                  Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  I don't buy this concept that the fact that a church has sinners in it makes it a bad church. I don't buy the concept that our youth can't know that people in their church are sinners.
                  I dont' buy that concept either. I don't think I have ever in any of my comments anywhere on a board talked as if the church is bad. Heck, I don't even think BYU is bad with all the stuff I am not comfortable with down there.

                  However, I think the church (defining the church as the members and their progress) does suffer some damage when someone pulls off a major scam. There are members who lose faith. Perhaps they shouldn't, but they do.

                  That being said, with all the sinning that goes on by members, I still maintain the LDS church is a dang fine church.

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                    Well, that is kind of a generalization. I know non-religious people whose lives have been damaged because of addiction to porn.
                    For purposes of my theory I put forth, do you define looking at Playboy or SI Swimsuit as an addiction to porn?

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #25
                      Point taken. I will bet speeding is even more prevalent than cheating and porn. Perhaps we should hear more on that subject.

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #26
                        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        For purposes of my theory I put forth, do you define looking at Playboy or SI Swimsuit as an addiction to porn?
                        No. And I agree with the sentiment that guys running big financial scams are a greater harm than people looking at porn.
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #27
                          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          I dont' buy that concept either. I don't think I have ever in any of my comments anywhere on a board talked as if the church is bad. Heck, I don't even think BYU is bad with all the stuff I am not comfortable with down there.

                          However, I think the church (defining the church as the members and their progress) does suffer some damage when someone pulls off a major scam. There are members who lose faith. Perhaps they shouldn't, but they do.

                          That being said, with all the sinning that goes on by members, I still maintain the LDS church is a dang fine church.
                          That's a far more interesting concept to me than which sin is more serious. The idea that members will lose their faith because another member commits sin. I think I would argue that the faith is misplaced to begin with, so it's better for those people to lose it.

                          Comment

                          • RobinFinderson
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10548

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                            Well, that is kind of a generalization. I know non-religious people whose lives have been damaged because of addiction to porn.
                            You are correct. I should correct my previous statement: Porn is only damaging when either one or both members of a partnership THINK that something is wrong with porn. If you don't think there is a problem, then nothing is wrong with it.

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16940

                              #29
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              You are correct. I should correct my previous statement: Porn is only damaging when either one or both members of a partnership THINK that something is wrong with porn. If you don't think there is a problem, then nothing is wrong with it.
                              This is true for marital infidelty and spousal abuse (at least of the verbal variety) as well, correct?

                              Comment

                              • RobinFinderson
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10548

                                #30
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                This is true for marital infidelty and spousal abuse (at least of the verbal variety) as well, correct?
                                Yes! Except it isn't 'infidelity' if it is permitted. Same goes for abuse (whipping, spanking, clamps, etc). Personally, I hate verbal abuse, but can I imagine some people liking language directed at them that I would personally find to be abusive? Stranger things have happened.

                                If a couple likes something, and it is mutually accepted, there probably won't cause real harm (of the mental anguish sort).

                                Comment

                                Working...