John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    You're probably right. I'd wager that a lot of the traffic in those things is transient. The one thing I liked most about MS is when they interview people about thier own journeys. The intimacy it brings is nice. I don't care as much for MM or the others as it's less intimate and usually just goes into a rehash of most everything I've already hashed.
    That's what I like--just hearing people's stories. There can't be a shortage of these. He should get back to that.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

He asked me awhile ago about talking to me about Katrina, but I never heard back from him and figured he decided that I didn't fit where it was going. My favorite one was the Word Perfect founder podcast. He had some great stories. I like the stories.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        That's what I like--just hearing people's stories. There can't be a shortage of these. He should get back to that.
        At the risk of more pimping, one of my MX collaborators Heather Clarkson has been running Mormon Expression Voices under the umbrella of the White Fields Educational Foundation (the parent company/501(c)(3) for Mormon Expression, MX and FMH) for some time. It is exclusively that. I believe Mormon Stories is also starting a new podcast based on or similar to what Heather has been doing. She is as good an interviewer as there is, IMO. She injects nothing of herself in to the conversation (which I know has been a complaint about others). It is a real skill, one I don't have yet. Not for everyone, but worth a listen, IMO.

http://mormonexpression.com/voices/

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          At the risk of more pimping, one of my MX collaborators Heather Clarkson has been running Mormon Expression Voices under the umbrella of the White Fields Educational Foundation (the parent company/501(c)(3) for Mormon Expression, MX and FMH) for some time. It is exclusively that. I believe Mormon Stories is also starting a new podcast based on or similar to what Heather has been doing. She is as good an interviewer as there is, IMO. She injects nothing of herself in to the conversation (which I know has been a complaint about others). It is a real skill, one I don't have yet. Not for everyone, but worth a listen, IMO.

These podcasts are about how great it is to be outside the Church and their "journey" and their "disaffection." So much of it is cliche.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            These podcasts are about how great it is to be outside the Church and their "journey" and their "disaffection." So much of it is cliche.
            What word do you use to describe fast and testimony meeting?
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Edifying.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Edifying.
                But it's so cliche! We've heard it all before.
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I used to like Frecshetta. Now I like DiGiorno. It never even occurred to me to create a podcast to explain that journey.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

But it's so cliche! We've heard it all before.
                    When someone tells a personal story, without crying, I find that edifying.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Uplifting. Interesting. Boring. Brave. Suprising. Exasperating.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        When someone tells a personal story, without crying, I find that edifying.
                        Completely agree. I find personal stories edifying and interesting. I almost always learn something from them.

Apparently, Levin finds them cliche.

EDIT: Oh...I guess, only if he disagrees with them.
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I thought a poster called Levin of all people would appreciate stories about people's journeys to find truth and genuineness.

But maybe he's not yet over all the rejection.
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post

I have listened to quite a few and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. I do wish that she would do more with those who have not left the church but are finding a way to make to make it work. However, the disparity may simply be a reflection of the audience that listens to Mormon Expression.
                            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                              I have listened to quite a few and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. I do wish that she would do more with those who have not left the church but are finding a way to make to make it work. However, the disparity may simply be a reflection of the audience that listens to Mormon Expression.
                              That's my problem with it. I liked Mormon Stories because you heard all sorts of stories, from completely orthodox to anti. I'd prefer a little more variety in the outcome, but now I'm wondering if these stories are more commonly brushed off and are the ones that really need to be heard.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I find personal stories edifying and interesting. I almost always learn something from them.

Apparently, Levin finds them cliche.
                                If you had a Facebook account, you would know that most personal stories are neither edifying nor interesting.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X