The Dangers of Halloween

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #46
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    :chestbump:

    I'm not even sure what that means, but I agree.
    Keep up. http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1036303
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • Sleeping in EQ
      Philosopher of Men
      • Nov 2008
      • 4188

      #47
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Hmm.. maybe Freddy Kruegar would be a better alternative?
      Just wait until I wear the same get up to Fast & Testimony meeting!
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #48
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        I was waiting for oxcoug to start a thread using KL's info as his own.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10450

          #49
          Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

          What was interesting was that the SP and his 1C attened the YSA Halloween activity and gave their thumbs up...the very same people who were suggested by a Bishop in my building to not be in favor of using church buildings for Halloween festivities.
          It's been my experience that YSA and Mid-singles get cut a lot of slack when they want to use a building. I guess they figure it's good the saints are fellow-shipping one with another rather than heading out to a bar or some of the crazy private parties.

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #50
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            It's been my experience that YSA and Mid-singles get cut a lot of slack when they want to use a building. I guess they figure it's good the saints are fellow-shipping one with another rather than heading out to a bar or some of the crazy private parties.
            And in the costumes they wear, if Facebook is any indication.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • statman
              Rabblerouser
              • Aug 2009
              • 2799

              #51
              Ours is Friday night - a 'trunk or treat.' Why these people don't check BYU (and Utah's) football schedule before scheduling ward events is beyond me. We live in freaking Utah County! And no less than two dozen families/couples are season ticket holders - all of whom would have been going to the activity, but as it stands, none will be.

              When someone clued them in, they wanted to move it to Saturday, but another ward that meets in our building had already scheduled it (their Bishop is a big BYU fan). The other ward offered to do a dual ward activity - and our ward said no. Why that decision was made is anyone's guess.

              Bottom line - Friday night date night is good. Friday night fun ward activity is better. Friday night BYU v BSU is clearly best.

              Comment

              • wally
                <><><><><><><><>
                • Jun 2010
                • 4137

                #52
                Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                Heh - while I wouldn't go so far as to post that kind of thing on FB, I did successfully torpedo any ward-sponsored Halloween-related activities while I was in the Bishopric.

                I'm not anti-Halloween, I let my kids dress up and trick-or-treat along with everyone else. I'm just anti-ward-sponsored-Halloween-activity. At the last Halloween party my ward had before I successfully torpedoed them, my son, who was a vampire that year, asked me, "Dad, can I wear my fake blood to the church?". That made me stop and think about things a bit. I thought the zombies, ghosts, etc. getting their pictures taken in the foyer, oblivious to the big Jesus pic in the background, was a little incongruous for church as well. The teenager running down the hall dressed as Freddie Kruger sealed the deal for me though. I thought, "whatever purpose we're trying to accomplish by having this activity (presumably fellowship and friendshipping and a just a plain old good time) can certainly be done without the Halloween aspects".

                If you don't find people running around the church building dressed as Freddie Kruger incongruous with the purpose of the church building, then you and I are just cut from different cloth.
                The ward I grew up in used to (still does) host a special needs Halloween party in the cultural hall. One of my favorite memories was from when they used to play CDs that the special needs kids brought with them. At one particular party I recall hearing Mexican Ranchera music, Brittany Spears, and Rob Zombie at different times, all in the cultural hall at full volume. The Rob Zombie music was about witches and the devil or some such. It was awesome, and it was all totally legit because the Bishop (or maybe the previous Bishop at the time) was the DJ. In retrospect with your comment in mind, there were probably a few heads exploded off of the heads of some pharisees that night. .


                Oh, and there was also fake blood, but it's not like there haven't been real blood and F-bombs in the cultural hall before right?

                Comment

                • Katy Lied
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 9435

                  #53
                  The ward I grew up in had Halloween parties every year, complete with costumes and masks and the young men did a "haunted house" (it was actually a haunted relief society room) to raise money. Bam!! a three-fer!!

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10450

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                    And in the costumes they wear, if Facebook is any indication.
                    I do that purely for you and Art's entertainment.

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      I do that purely for you and Art's entertainment.
                      Does your mom ever say "She looks like she has a good hip swivel, pursue her!"?
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • BigFatMeanie
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7119

                        #56
                        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        so is having a basketball court also incongruous with the purpose of the church building?
                        Not to me it isn't, but I accept that reasonable minds can disagree in this area.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #57
                          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          Does your mom ever say "She looks like she has a good hip swivel, pursue her!"?
                          Not any more but she used to say something similar.

                          Comment

                          • BigFatMeanie
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7119

                            #58
                            Originally posted by wally View Post
                            The ward I grew up in used to (still does) host a special needs Halloween party in the cultural hall. One of my favorite memories was from when they used to play CDs that the special needs kids brought with them. At one particular party I recall hearing Mexican Ranchera music, Brittany Spears, and Rob Zombie at different times, all in the cultural hall at full volume. The Rob Zombie music was about witches and the devil or some such. It was awesome, and it was all totally legit because the Bishop (or maybe the previous Bishop at the time) was the DJ. In retrospect with your comment in mind, there were probably a few heads exploded off of the heads of some pharisees that night. .


                            Oh, and there was also fake blood, but it's not like there haven't been real blood and F-bombs in the cultural hall before right?
                            We all draw a line somewhere. I draw mine at Halloween in the church building. :shrug:

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                              I do that purely for you and Art's entertainment.
                              My wife enjoys it too, fyi. She thinks you're just about the coolest guy out there. So much so that I'm pretty sure I don't want the two of you in the same room again, I think....
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • Shaka
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 10450

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                                My wife enjoys it too, fyi. She thinks you're just about the coolest guy out there. So much so that I'm pretty sure I don't want the two of you in the same room again, I think....
                                Your wife is a gem. I'm glad that I have fooled her to this degree.

                                Comment

                                Working...