I don't really know how to introduce this

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #166
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was looking at that painting again and realized I find it downright disturbing. Anyone else see it that way?
    While I think your description is still overly kind, I tend to agree with the sentiment.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #167
      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Spectacular. I'm glad they nailed the Palpatine softball. It would have felt wrong if they didn't. The deadpan delivery, however, was spectacular. Some very funny stuff in there.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • YOhio
        Hipster Mode
        • Nov 2008
        • 26165

        #168
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Spectacular. I'm glad they nailed the Palpatine softball. It would have felt wrong if they didn't. The deadpan delivery, however, was spectacular. Some very funny stuff in there.
        I liked the F-16 pilot.

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #169
          Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          I always knew pellegrino was a godless communist, but not you too LA!
          I wanted to tell you....
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27882

            #170

            Last edited by UtahDan; 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • LA Ute
              Receiver of Memory
              • Nov 2008
              • 19512

              #171
              I think reaction to the painting is starting to go over the top....
              Last edited by UtahDan; 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden


              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27882

                #172
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                I think reaction to the painting is starting to go over the top....
                Perfect response
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69706

                  #173
                  Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  I think reaction to the painting is starting to go over the top....
                  How is it possible to go over the top in reaction to something like this? If this can't be mocked mercilessly, nothing can.

                  Speaking of which, I need to post a link to this awesome thread that was posted when this fine piece of shart was first released. A series of responses to the painting, all composed in haiku form. Enjoy!

                  Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #174
                    SUMMON HOPFROG!
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • thesaint258
                      aka Benito Hazard
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 3005

                      #175
                      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      I liked the F-16 pilot.
                      Davy Crockett was the best.
                      Not that, sickos.

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #176
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        How is it possible to go over the top in reaction to something like this? If this can't be mocked mercilessly, nothing can.
                        No doubt. Mocking is one thing, pure grossness is another!
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #177
                          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I think reaction to the painting is starting to go over the top....
                          This painting reminds me of Faith's and my wedding day, fifteen years ago this month. We decided to piss off all of the relatives by getting married in Manti, which was an inconvenient drive for most everyone, but in our opinion Manti is the prettiest temple, so aesthetics ruled the day.

                          Unfortunately, where Manti attracted some of the best Mormon architectural talent, way back in the day, it was unable to attract equivalent talent in sealers, and we lost big time in the wedding sealer lottery. The dude talked about how important it was to remember that we were being sealed as future kings and queens in the celestial kingdom, and that to remind himself of this he always referred to his wife as 'Queenie.' This would have been funny enough had Faith not had an aunt with a Doberman Pincer named Queenie, which caused her to let out a snorty-laugh when the sealer first mentioned his wife. Hearing the snort/laugh, the sealer began a very long and awkward pause, so indelibly imprinting the moment on our guests memory that we would later have to explain about the Doberman Pincer to all of our wedding guests.

                          Anyhow, on the drive back to Provo, where we would hold our wedding reception, I decided to pull over near a turkey ranch, where I had the ingenious idea we might consummate our wedding, right there in the car. After a minute of awkward fumbling, we mutually decided that the Toyota Corolla simply wasn't built for such activity, and we called it quits having only scandalized the few perverted turkeys that had gathered to watch us. That was the first time I ever really got a close look at the grotesque face of a turkey, and I thought to myself, 'these birds look like the hordes of Cthulhu.'

                          So now, whenever I see a reference to Cthulhu, I think about our wedding day.

                          Comment

                          • RC Vikings
                            Known Heterosexual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8789

                            #178
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            Anyhow, on the drive back to Provo, where we would hold our wedding reception, I decided to pull over near a turkey ranch, where I had the ingenious idea we might consummate our wedding, right there in the car. After a minute of awkward fumbling, we mutually decided that the Toyota Corolla simply wasn't built for such activity, and we called it quits having only scandalized the few perverted turkeys that had gathered to watch us. That was the first time I ever really got a close look at the grotesque face of a turkey, and I thought to myself, 'these birds look like the hordes of Cthulhu.'

                            So now, whenever I see a reference to Cthulhu, I think about our wedding day.
                            I'm torn between laughing about this and just feeling bad for Faith.

                            Comment

                            • FMCoug
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6825

                              #179
                              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              I'm torn between laughing about this and just feeling bad for Faith.
                              The worst part is that Robin has been addicted to turkey porn ever since.

                              Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                              Comment

                              • RobinFinderson
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10548

                                #180
                                Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                I'm torn between laughing about this and just feeling bad for Faith.
                                Fifteen years of marriage, and still going strong! There is nothing to feel bad about.
                                Last edited by RobinFinderson; 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...