Dinosaurs?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #31
    Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    FWIW, Talmage believed in what he called "pre-Adamites". How literally do you take other parts of the creation story?
    Not very literal, but my view of it is changing all the time. Indy's post is one alternative, but I wondered how that theory deals with evolution of humans.

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #32
      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I also more or less go with this answer. I'm grappling with the evolution of human beings right now. Indy or others: serious question, if you take this model, are there other humans outside the garden at the time Adam and Eve are placed in the garden? Does it matter?
      I don't really have an answer for this, but I'll throw out something else: I'm not convinced that the emergence from Eden occurred 6,000 years ago. I think the pre-Abrahamic chronology, at the bare minimum, is a little questionable.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • scottie
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5247

        #33
        If we assume that a day/month/year to Joseph Smith was the same as a day/month/year to us, then the Q&A in D&C 77 answers the age of the Earth question:
        6
        Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
        A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.


        Is carbon dating a tool of the devil? The devil can be such a jerk sometimes.

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #34
          Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
          THAT. IS. AWESOME!
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • kccougar
            9262
            • Nov 2008
            • 7020

            #35
            My opinion on pre-Adamites is not based on anything but what makes sense to me:

            God created man. He never says how he did it. The bible says that God created man and then placed him in the garden. Could he not have used evolution as the process for creating man and once he got what he wanted he took that man and placed him in the Garden?
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

            Comment

            • Fiyero
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 5266

              #36
              Laugh at my insights all you want, but as a direct descendant of Zelph I am entitled to many plain and precious truths that are too meaty for this wicked and adulterous generation.

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #37
                I believe that the days in the Genesis creation stories were really periods and likewise, I believe that the 7 "seals" are really periods that are neither equal in length, nor necessarily approximately 1,000 years long.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • ERCougar
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10978

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  I believe that the days in the Genesis creation stories were really periods and likewise, I believe that the 7 "seals" are really periods that are neither equal in length, nor necessarily approximately 1,000 years long.
                  And your view of D&C 77:6?

                  Not a troll, but I'm honestly curious how the more conservative members view this scripture.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                  Comment

                  • Green Lantern
                    Has overcome great fear
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2289

                    #39
                    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    My opinion on pre-Adamites is not based on anything but what makes sense to me:

                    God created man. He never says how he did it. The bible says that God created man and then placed him in the garden. Could he not have used evolution as the process for creating man and once he got what he wanted he took that man and placed him in the Garden?
                    Anybody have thoughts on the book EVOLUTION AND MORMONISM? I thought it contained a pretty excellent example of this train of thought.
                    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                    --Portland Ute

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #40
                      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      And your view of D&C 77:6?

                      Not a troll, but I'm honestly curious how the more conservative members view this scripture.
                      Explain to me what event occurred on or near 1000 AD that brought about the opening of the 6th seal?
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        Explain to me what event occurred on or near 1000 AD that brought about the opening of the 6th seal?
                        Um...can you answer the question? I'm honestly not wanting to argue things because I think we probably agree on the end answer. My question is, how do you reconcile it with JS saying the earth is 7000 years old? He doesn't answer in terms of "seals"--he says 7000 years of existence.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          I believe that the days in the Genesis creation stories were really periods and likewise, I believe that the 7 "seals" are really periods that are neither equal in length, nor necessarily approximately 1,000 years long.
                          I also believe this (I'm two for two agreeing with Indy today) and I interpret the temple ceremony to support this.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • Indy Coug
                            Heartless Bastard
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 18747

                            #43
                            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            Um...can you answer the question? I'm honestly not wanting to argue things because I think we probably agree on the end answer. My question is, how do you reconcile it with JS saying the earth is 7000 years old? He doesn't answer in terms of "seals"--he says 7000 years of existence.
                            My guess is that he was extrapolating based on the Kolob Day = 1,000 years math.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

                            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #44
                              Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                              My opinion on pre-Adamites is not based on anything but what makes sense to me:

                              God created man. He never says how he did it. The bible says that God created man and then placed him in the garden. Could he not have used evolution as the process for creating man and once he got what he wanted he took that man and placed him in the Garden?
                              There is a book I read which relates a common theme in the oral histories of numerous ancient cultures worldwide where divine beings impart wisdom to mankind to help with things like agriculture, animal breeding and so forth. The book claims that the technological development of mankind took off at a fantastic rate from roughly the same starting point after the end of the last Ice Age.

                              Now, I'm not throwing out this as proof, nor as something I necessarily believe in, but it did come to mind when you mentioned pre-Adamites.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • wuapinmon
                                Soul Plumber
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 30711

                                #45
                                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                How old do the scriptures say the earth actually is? Cuz I personally believe it's 40 million or billion or trillion or whatever years old and that dinosaurs help me travel to work every day and such.


                                [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bm7bgxuC8VA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bm7bgxuC8VA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                                Comment

                                Working...