Golden Corral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Corral

I can tell my father is getting old when we tell him we want to treat he and my mother to dinner to celebrate his birthday and he chooses Golden Corral.

My dad is only 53 and is in pretty damn good shape. He can still bench 300+ and probably run a mile in 7 minutes without trying. He says he just likes the fried chicken and roast beef.

If anything, last night's dinner proved that this change Gidget and me are making are well worth it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

That's where my 14 year old wanted to go for her birthday. We hadn't been there since her 12th birthday, so I'm not quite sure what the allure is.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Golden Corral may be the most shameful of all the Raleigh-based companies. I used to drive by the headquarters on my way to work every day and I'd shudder every time I'd see the place. Disgusting.
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

My two boys LOVE Golden Corral but they only get to eat there about once a year, because that's all their parents can handle. I understand the allure of an all-you-can eat buffet for 10 and 12 year olds, but Golden Corral is just plain nasty. When we cave, we offer to take them to Chuck-A-Rama (a step up in quality, if that tells you anything about Golden Corral), but they are pretty insistent. I know my 12-yr old loves the rice(?) there.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I think there is some kind of hidden draw to buffets for kids. My kids were dying to go to Home Town Buffet, despite the fact we had never been. I remember when I was a kid there was a place called Duff's Smorgasbord, I loved it. I think I went there for like 3 straight birthdays.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            My two boys LOVE Golden Corral but they only get to eat there about once a year, because that's all their parents can handle. I understand the allure of an all-you-can eat buffet for 10 and 12 year olds, but Golden Corral is just plain nasty. When we cave, we offer to take them to Chuck-A-Rama (a step up in quality, if that tells you anything about Golden Corral), but they are pretty insistent. I know my 12-yr old loves the rice(?) there.
            We eat at a buffet once a year in honor of my grandpa. When he was alive, he would always take us all out to eat at a "buffette" as he would say. The Great Depression was always fresh on his mind, even several decades later, and he was a big time penny pincher. One of us always had to sneak back in to leave a decent tip because Grandpa still thought it was 1942 when tipping.

My boys love Golden Corral too, but are slowly morphing into mini food snobs. I don't know which is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              I can tell my father is getting old when we tell him we want to treat he and my mother to dinner to celebrate his birthday and he chooses Golden Corral.

My dad is only 53 and is in pretty damn good shape. He can still bench 300+ and probably run a mile in 7 minutes without trying. He says he just likes the fried chicken and roast beef.

If anything, last night's dinner proved that this change Gidget and me are making are well worth it.
              My wife's grandparents and their friends roll into town and want to go out to eat. Where do they want to go? The friends wanted to go to Golden Corral. Needless to say, my bathroom turned into a corral a couple hours later. Quite simply the worst meal I've eaten in a long, long time.

Kids like the buffet because of the wide variety of deserts. Old people frequent buffets for some unknown reason, maybe because they think they're getting value out of it. In the "Grey Dawn" episode of South Park, the boys stop the elderly occupiers by barring the doors of the Country Kitchen Buffet. The old people don't know what or where to eat and they starve the elderly into submission.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                I think there is some kind of hidden draw to buffets for kids. My kids were dying to go to Home Town Buffet, despite the fact we had never been. I remember when I was a kid there was a place called Duff's Smorgasbord, I loved it. I think I went there for like 3 straight birthdays.
                I think you may be right. I have fond memories of steak and all you can eat shrimp as a youth at Sizzler.

Comment

So my friend was telling me that for Christmas every year, she and her siblings call Golden Corral and put $100 on their grandparents' tab. LOL! I wonder what that database looks like... perhaps they use one's AARP membership number as the primary key.
                  Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    Duff's... A memory I have tried to forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

LOL, my grandma LOVES that place. She eats there every single day, it's actually her only meal. It's actually her only meal of the day because she hates cooking so much. The only time I can stomach the place is in the morning for breakfast.
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Why all the hate for Go-Co?

I always enjoy going there because there is something for everyone.

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

My grandparents are as frugal as anyone you would ever meet. For their 50th wedding anniversary, they chose Chuck-a-Rama, and all of the extended family was invited so long as they paid their own way.

Nothing says "thanks for 50 years" like Chuck-a-Rama.

Comment

[QUOTE=TripletDaddy;62159]Why all the hate for Go-Co?

QUOTE]

So, was your wife wearing her Hudsons in this picture? I can't tell.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

[quote=Color Me Badd Fan;62165]
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Why all the hate for Go-Co?

QUOTE]

So, was your wife wearing her Hudsons in this picture? I can't tell.
                              That is the last time I share personal pics on this site.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X