Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
    So should I be smoking the prime rib?

Bought it yesterday at the co, 16 smacks a #, yeesh!
    I am going to try it this year. Next Sunday.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Me too. Doing it on Christmas Day. 12# standing rib roast.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Ok you give me courage, I'm not about to screw up a $100 plus hunk of meat.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Six pounds of prime from Costco. I'll be smoking it, too, at 200F degrees, then searing the outside for a minute or two to finish. I'm aiming for medium rare.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I did a load of beef jerky, setting the smoker to run while we were at the three-hour block Sunday. But after an excellent Sacrament Meeting (lotsa music, very short inspiring talks), and after chatting it up with several visitors, I felt moved upon to bail on SS and HPG to go home and check on things. It was an inspired decision, as the fire had gone out. I took everything out, cleaned out the firepot, then started anew. The jerky turned out superbly despite the glitch, but it made me nervous for tomorrow evening's attempt at a prime rib roast. Like fus, I'm a little apprehensive about screwing up a $100+ piece of meat, esp. with a guest list of 18 in attendance, but fools rush in...

I've decided to go with this approach, and hope if I'm doing something horrible here that concerned and skilled readers will so advise: I'll make a baste/sauce/whatever consisting of Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and garlic. On top of that I'll add some Traeger's Prime Rib Rub. I'll put the thing in the Traeger for 25-30 minutes for a 450 degree or so sear (whatever the Lil Tex can hit and maintain). After the sear, I'll smoke (hickory) at 250 or less until the center temp hits 130 or so. I'll let it rest for 20 minutes before carving, to either the adulation of a grateful audience or the eternal condemnation of my wife, depending on the outcome. Oh Mother of the Traeger Thermostats, pray for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              I did a load of beef jerky, setting the smoker to run while we were at the three-hour block Sunday. But after an excellent Sacrament Meeting (lotsa music, very short inspiring talks), and after chatting it up with several visitors, I felt moved upon to bail on SS and HPG to go home and check on things. It was an inspired decision, as the fire had gone out. I took everything out, cleaned out the firepot, then started anew. The jerky turned out superbly despite the glitch, but it made me nervous for tomorrow evening's attempt at a prime rib roast. Like fus, I'm a little apprehensive about screwing up a $100+ piece of meat, esp. with a guest list of 18 in attendance, but fools rush in...

I've decided to go with this approach, and hope if I'm doing something horrible here that concerned and skilled readers will so advise: I'll make a baste/sauce/whatever consisting of Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and garlic. On top of that I'll add some Traeger's Prime Rib Rub. I'll put the thing in the Traeger for 25-30 minutes for a 450 degree or so sear (whatever the Lil Tex can hit and maintain). After the sear, I'll smoke (hickory) at 250 or less until the center temp hits 130 or so. I'll let it rest for 20 minutes before carving, to either the adulation of a grateful audience or the eternal condemnation of my wife, depending on the outcome. Oh Mother of the Traeger Thermostats, pray for me.
              Sear it in your oven. No point in wasting all those pellets and it would take a while to cool down. And it won't impact the flavor that much. That also seems like a long sear.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Sear it in your oven. No point in wasting all those pellets and it would take a while to cool down. And it won't impact the flavor that much. That also seems like a long sear.
                That is how I am planning to do it.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

$100?? you guys skimping this year, Tiny Tim?
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    $100?? you guys skimping this year, Tiny Tim?
                    How much is it supposed to cost? Mine was like $135
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

This is helpful. How long would you sear it?

Comment

• Just dropped two hundy on this year's prime rib. Hope I don't screw it up.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

This is helpful. How long would you sear it?
                          Sear at the end of the cook when the temp hits 110-115. Pull it at 125 or it will be too done. 130 is a medium to medium well done prime rib by the time it sits. I've learned his summer that smoking a prime rib is pretty easy if you follow these steps.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Sear at the end of the cook when the temp hits 110-115. Pull it at 125 or it will be too done. 130 is a medium to medium well done prime rib by the time it sits. I've learned his summer that smoking a prime rib is pretty easy if you follow these steps.
                            Just so I'm clear (which I rarely am), at 115 the meat goes straight into the oven at 450 (more?) and leave it there until the internal temp hits 125, then pull it and let it rest for 20 mins. Assuming I've got that right, I'm curious how long it'll take to go from 115 to 125; I'm guessing just a few minutes, certainly not the 30 I might have done under my original plan, now discarded.

TIA!

Comment

• This is our fourth year in a row doing prime rib, I've removed the bones and smoked on top of them the last two and it seems better to me. I'm sure there is nothing to it but I'm superstitious and it makes carving after easier IMO.
                              image.jpg
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

I did a load of beef jerky, setting the smoker to run while we were at the three-hour block Sunday. But after an excellent Sacrament Meeting (lotsa music, very short inspiring talks), and after chatting it up with several visitors, I felt moved upon to bail on SS and HPG to go home and check on things. It was an inspired decision, as the fire had gone out. I took everything out, cleaned out the firepot, then started anew. The jerky turned out superbly despite the glitch, but it made me nervous for tomorrow evening's attempt at a prime rib roast. Like fus, I'm a little apprehensive about screwing up a $100+ piece of meat, esp. with a guest list of 18 in attendance, but fools rush in...

Lol

I'm doing the same, watched a couple of videos, settled on the wo mix, high temp seer, etc.

I had planned on the oven for the sear but thought, if I'm going oven route why not just do the whole thing in the over?

Comment

Working...
                                X