The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69696

    #31
    Also, just for reference it takes 3-3.5 hours to get to 170 degrees. In the post I linked above it said that I cooked for 2 hours, so that should bracket your cooking time.

    BTW, I used Traeger Prime Rib rub on the two roasts shown in the photo. Good stuff.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Shaka
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 10449

      #32
      I think things on the medium rare side so I'm going to shoot for 145.

      By reverse sear you're writing about cranking the heat at the end of the process correct?

      Comment

      • SCcoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 7625

        #33
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I think things on the medium rare side so I'm going to shoot for 145.

        By reverse sear you're writing about cranking the heat at the end of the process correct?
        Yes, indirect heat up to about 5-10 degrees below your target temp then put it on the high heat to sear it the rest of the way.

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #34
          I'd be interested in trying smoked tri-tip, but it would have to be pretty good for me to go with that over a grilled tri-tip, as easy as they are to grill.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • Drunk Tank
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 2569

            #35
            I just got back from a family gathering in Fresno. My uncle cooked some prime rib roasts. He should have looked at this thread first....
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

            Comment

            • Shaka
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 10449

              #36
              Before:


              After:


              Cooked the small one to 155 F and the large to 150F.


              Taste tests coming.

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #37
                I made a prime rib roast today with a inglehoffer dijon mustard, rosemary, and thyme crust. It took about three hours to do right. Oh, man! That's good merde.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • kccougar
                  9262
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7020

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Before:


                  After:


                  Cooked the small one to 155 F and the large to 150F.


                  Taste tests coming.
                  Does smoking vs grilling make a difference with regard to temperature? You guys are talking about 150-170 degrees. I pull my tri-tips off the grill at 135.
                  This is beef we're talking about here and not chicken, right?
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #39
                    Shaka, are you slamming that Tri tip solo are you hosting some senoritas tonight? Shame to not share the feast!

                    Where do people buy their Tri tip? I assume The 'Co?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • kccougar
                      9262
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7020

                      #40
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      Shaka, are you slamming that Tri tip solo are you hosting some senoritas tonight? Shame to not share the feast!

                      Where do people buy their Tri tip? I assume The 'Co?
                      Sniders! They sell both a naked tri-tip and a santa maria rubbed version. I like theirs, but I prefer to buy mine plain and season with Spade-L ranch seasoning.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                      Comment

                      • Shaka
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 10449

                        #41
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Shaka, are you slamming that Tri tip solo are you hosting some senoritas tonight? Shame to not share the feast!

                        Where do people buy their Tri tip? I assume The 'Co?
                        I made dinner for the roommies. The meal was a rousing success! They loved the flavor of the meat.

                        KC I think the meat was a little overdone but it still tasted great. Next time I'll pull it out around 135 and let it equalize from there.

                        Triplet, I always get tri-tip from Costco. I have a rub recipe that is excellent for a regular grill. It would probably rock on the smoker as well. Let me know if you want it.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10449

                          #42
                          Sliced:



                          On the plate:

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69696

                            #43
                            Looks great Shaka. Way to go.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10449

                              #44
                              Thank you. It would seem that my first attempt at beef worked out.

                              I'm going to hold judgement until I've made it through the night without severe gastric distress.

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #45
                                you can see the smoke ring. the legend of Shaka is growing.

                                Is that tri tip a smaller, thinner cut? i wish I had tri tip for dinner
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...