Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Hey, I likes me some sweet meats.

It was tasty. I've got some vacuum packed leftovers if you want to give it a go.
    I'll use brown sugar when I make burnt ends.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      The best rub for a brisket is a simple 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Maybe some dried garlic. See recommendations by Aaron Franklin and all the other world-class brisket experts. I don't recall ever seeing sugar in a commercial brisket rub. That Montreal Steak seasoning that was mentioned does not have sugar. Beef tastes best with savory spices.

Pork, of course, is an entirely different story.
      This is what I do almost exclusively. But I'll continue to experiment with the promise of trigger warnings should that include beef and sugars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        This is what I do almost exclusively. But I'll continue to experiment with the promise of trigger warnings should that include beef and sugars.
        I don't care what you try. Just yanking your chain.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't care what you try. Just yanking your chain.
          Yes, all good fun. But now I want to see how I can test the limits of sweet briskets. In truth, the sweetness was very subtle on the one I cooked yesterday.

Comment

The best rub for a brisket is a simple 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.
            I've tried that, and, call me heathen, don't like it as much. We still prefer the flavor we get with Spade L Ranch beef rub.

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Yes, all good fun. But now I want to see how I can test the limits of sweet briskets. In truth, the sweetness was very subtle on the one I cooked yesterday.
            If you want to play the subtle flavors game, just change up what pellets/wood you use. It's interesting what a difference that can make.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              I've tried that, and, call me heathen, don't like it as much. We still prefer the flavor we get with Spade L Ranch beef rub.
              Heathen.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• just pulled after holding in the oven at 160* ish for 17 hours (after pulling from the smoker at 195*). results look promising!
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

If you want to play the subtle flavors game, just change up what pellets/wood you use. It's interesting what a difference that can make.
                  I've heard this. I have a friend who says he's been using pellets that infuse alcohol flavors into the meat.

Comment

• Great video here from the brisket master, Aaron Franklin. Nice discussion of trimming and application of rub. After watching this I abandoned the commercial brisket rubs and started using the salt/pepper approach and never looked back. The majority of your flavor comes from the beef and smoke.

Comment

Great video here from the brisket master, Aaron Franklin. Nice discussion of trimming and application of rub. After watching this I abandoned the commercial brisket rubs and started using the salt/pepper approach and never looked back. The majority of your flavor comes from the beef and smoke.
                      You can't convert me. I've watched the Franklin videos and follow a lot of what he says, but we still like the commercial rub better.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        just pulled after holding in the oven at 160* ish for 17 hours (after pulling from the smoker at 195*). results look promising!
                        sweet baby jesus that was good. we fed 10 adults and had a bunch left over. probably a little overcooked for a competition, but damn it was moist and delicious. anything other than the s&p would have gotten in the way of the flavor, imo.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

sweet baby jesus that was good. we fed 10 adults and had a bunch left over. probably a little overcooked for a competition, but damn it was moist and delicious. anything other than the s&p would have gotten in the way of the flavor, imo.
                          Bravo!

Take some pics next time.

Comment

You can't convert me. I've watched the Franklin videos and follow a lot of what he says, but we still like the commercial rub better.
                            Lol. I don't care what you use. You seem awfully defensive sometimes.

Comment

• I don't get these meat wars.

Can't we all just get along?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

just pulled after holding in the oven at 160* ish for 17 hours (after pulling from the smoker at 195*). results look promising!
                                pics or it didn't happen
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X