Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Pelado View Post

    He asked if someone liked your post, would that mean they liked big butts. I liked your post and then posted my reply. It's not my fault you're slow.
    Fair enough. I forgive you.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Pelado View Post

      He asked if someone liked your post, would that mean they liked big butts. I liked your post and then posted my reply. It's not my fault you're slow.
      I cooked a pork butt this Saturday for a family gathering. Worst one I have ever done. I trusted a relative to get it in on time, which he didn’t, and when he did it was still half frozen such that I had to cook at high temp to get it done with less than an hour before serving time (so not enough for a full hold). It was still good. Reviews from nephews and nieces included comments such as “if you worked at Arby’s you could earn a thousand dollars a day” and “this is really good chicken.”

      Pork is forgiving. I’d do that if I could.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment


      • Originally posted by All-American View Post

        I cooked a pork butt this Saturday for a family gathering. Worst one I have ever done. I trusted a relative to get it in on time, which he didn’t, and when he did it was still half frozen such that I had to cook at high temp to get it done with less than an hour before serving time (so not enough for a full hold). It was still good. Reviews from nephews and nieces included comments such as “if you worked at Arby’s you could earn a thousand dollars a day” and “this is really good chicken.”

        Pork is forgiving. I’d do that if I could.
        Those comments are the best.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

          There is a lot of fat in a brisket that you either trim off or it cooks down. It seems crazy, but in my experience a brisket will only feed a dozen or so people. I would be shocked if you could feed 60-70 people with three briskets, but I could be wrong. CJF should chime in (or you could PM him).

          My advice would be to forget about the brisket and do pulled pork instead. You could easily feed that big a crowd with 4 big butts. 1 butt = 15-20 people when you do it on sandwiches.

          Things have been insanely busy lately but I just replied to Bo in PM. I agree with everything JL has said but the calculations on number of servings. After trimming and shrink in the cook I usually yield about 55% of original weight. So 4 18 pound briskets I’ll get about 40 pounds of brisket. I figure a serving roughly is about .3 of a pound. So 40 pounds would yield about 130 servings. I figure 25% will come back for seconds so if I’m serving 100 people I’ll need 125 servings. It’s close, but when you’re watching margins, it works well. Back yard church gatherings are kind of anyone’s guess. But 60-70 people should be more than well fed with 40 pounds of finished brisket.

          That said, JL is 100% right on one very important suggestion. Go with pork.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment


          • Originally posted by CJF View Post


            Things have been insanely busy lately but I just replied to Bo in PM. I agree with everything JL has said but the calculations on number of servings. After trimming and shrink in the cook I usually yield about 55% of original weight. So 4 18 pound briskets I’ll get about 40 pounds of brisket. I figure a serving roughly is about .3 of a pound. So 40 pounds would yield about 130 servings. I figure 25% will come back for seconds so if I’m serving 100 people I’ll need 125 servings. It’s close, but when you’re watching margins, it works well. Back yard church gatherings are kind of anyone’s guess. But 60-70 people should be more than well fed with 40 pounds of finished brisket.

            That said, JL is 100% right on one very important suggestion. Go with pork.
            Yeah, I might go with pork just to show off my range of ability. (I can follow the Dude's recipes as good as anyone.) I cooked a brisket for a bishopric dinner last week, and he blabbed to the activities committee, so they changed from hamburgers to seeing if I'd do brisket.

            Last year I cooked hamburgers for the ward in my smoker. Last time I do that as it was a pain to clean-up afterwards. I like to get the frozen angus patties from Costco, smoke them on low smoke for an hour, then finish on the sear box. I think with the volume I had to reduce the smoke time to 30 minutes, but they were still good. I use a strong smoke like mesquite.

            Comment


            • I reviewed the last several pages of this thread, and ran across these posts after CJF's mishap with the bee poison. Got another good chuckle from them.

              Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Bees are your friends. I can see eliminating wasps, because they suck, but bees are handy to have around the place.
              Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
              That's mosquitos you're thinking of.
              Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Reminds me of my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Williams. She didn't seem to understand why we were all laughing when she told us that babies suck.

              Comment

              Working...
              X