The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Great video here from the brisket master, Aaron Franklin. Nice discussion of trimming and application of rub. After watching this I abandoned the commercial brisket rubs and started using the salt/pepper approach and never looked back. The majority of your flavor comes from the beef and smoke.

That's great. I don't even smoke meats, but this kinda makes me wanna.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      I've tried that, and, call me heathen, don't like it as much. We still prefer the flavor we get with Spade L Ranch beef rub.

If you want to play the subtle flavors game, just change up what pellets/wood you use. It's interesting what a difference that can make.
      Spade L Ranch is delicious on brisket and tri-tip.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Lol. I don't care what you use. You seem awfully defensive sometimes.
        Ha ha, that's pretty funny, because I tend to get the vibe from your posts that your way is the best, and all others are inferior. That may not be your intent, but it comes across to me that way, so sometimes I push back a little. Peace.

Comment

Ha ha, that's pretty funny, because I tend to get the vibe from your posts that your way is the best, and all others are inferior. That may not be your intent, but it comes across to me that way, so sometimes I push back a little. Peace.
          Like I said, overly defensive.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The Official Brisket Thread

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I don't care what you try. Just yanking your chain.
            Are these rules for brisket only or does it apply to prime rib, steaks etc? I love sweet balsamic marinades for steaks and I’m guessing I’d like it for brisket too [emoji15]
            Last edited by Now who’s the dean?; 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
              Are these rules for brisket only or does it apply to prime rib, steaks etc? I love sweet balsamic marinades for steaks and I’m guessing I’d like it for brisket too [emoji15]
              I think for certain lean cuts/steaks it makes great sense. Love me some teriyaki sirloin kebabs for example. Doesn't make so much sense for fattier, slow-cooked cuts like briskets or roasts. But hey, knock yourself out!
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

In fairness, his way usually is best. I mean, you should try his pork recipe.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I think for certain lean cuts/steaks it makes great sense. Love me some teriyaki sirloin kebabs for example. Doesn't make so much sense for fattier, slow-cooked cuts like briskets or roasts. But hey, knock yourself out!
                  What’s your teriyaki sauce or marinade of choice?
                  Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

This is true. This is why Spade L is great on tri-tip but sounds awful on brisket. It’s the sugar content that blends really well with a leaner cut of a tip.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Dinner tonight
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Looks tasty. Did you do a flat or a full packer?

edit....never mind. I missed the second picture.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Looks delicious!

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Looks tasty. Did you do a flat or a full packer?
                            Full packer. 12 hour cook. Still struggle some with the end of the flat getting too dry, but this was my best effort to date.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Looks great!

I cooked two briskets today. And I used the pink butcher paper technique. Took longer than my normal foil technique.

Comment

• Smoked a brisket last night, and returned to my salt and pepper roots. Cooked it flat side up like the Dude suggested somewhere. The bark was better this way.

When I pulled it out to trim it before smoking it, it had some weird cuts in the meat that really weren't supposed to be there. I opened them to add in more rub.

Very tasty.

These seem to go like clockwork on their cook time. 5 hour smoke at 220, foil and finish for about 4 hours inside at 225. I pulled at 196, cooled for 15, then on hold for about 7 hours. I still need to buy cling wrap to use under my foil.

Comment

Working...
                                X