Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, will you come clean my smoker?
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• That's some serious elbow grease. Looking good, DT.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Nice Drunk Tank!

Your purchase got me thinking. I bet I could build a smoker like the FEC pretty easily. The hopper, auger, controller and fire pot can be bought in kits on Ebay. Or if I wanted I could source all that from my Traeger. But where could I get a insulated container like that? A cooler or fridge perhaps? Any ideas? Sounds like a fun project that could be built for half the price if not less than the FEC.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Nice Drunk Tank!

Your purchase got me thinking. I bet I could build a smoker like the FEC pretty easily. The hopper, auger, controller and fire pot can be bought in kits on Ebay. Or if I wanted I could source all that from my Traeger. But where could I get a insulated container like that? A cooler or fridge perhaps? Any ideas? Sounds like a fun project that could be built for half the price if not less than the FEC.
          I seem to remember a Good Eats episode where AB used an old refrigerator at a junkyard to build a smoker. This was not the terra cotta smoker episode.

EDIT: After a quick search, it looks like it was an old gym locker or something that he used to cold smoke some bacon. It was the "Scrap Iron Chef" episode.
          Last edited by Joe Public; 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Nice Drunk Tank!

Hey, I like the way you are thinking.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Looks like lots of people online have gone the refrigerator route:

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                Looks like lots of people online have gone the refrigerator route:

I've seen lots that do this for a cold smoker.
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• The Kingsford Invitational bbq competition premiers tonight on destination America, FYI.

Comment

• The new owner of my Yoder has it up for sale already. He decided that he doesnt like pellet cookers. He bought a Traeger first, then the Yoder. I think maybe its the indian, not the arrow.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      We paid 12.56 per 20 lbs. each bag is 40lbs. That was for the perfect mix pellets. The pure Hickory are a little bit more.
                      Bump. I'm running very low. I could use four bags.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                        The new owner of my Yoder has it up for sale already. He decided that he doesnt like pellet cookers. He bought a Traeger first, then the Yoder. I think maybe its the indian, not the arrow.
                        I enjoy using charcoal and wood for BBQ. It's a pain to regulate temperature (which is why I don't do brisket), but it keeps things exciting and gives me something to do. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment and/or easily entertained, but I like it.

I was close to pulling the trigger on getting a Weber Smokey Mountain, but don't like that they're so low to the ground and I have to get on my knees to add charcoals/wood. Do you have any advice on offset smokers?
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          I enjoy using charcoal and wood for BBQ. It's a pain to regulate temperature (which is why I don't do brisket), but it keeps things exciting and gives me something to do. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment and/or easily entertained, but I like it.

I was close to pulling the trigger on getting a Weber Smokey Mountain, but don't like that they're so low to the ground and I have to get on my knees to add charcoals/wood. Do you have any advice on offset smokers?
                          Only advice for an offset is don't go cheap. Stay away from the crap that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. They are cheaply built and you will always be fighting the temps. I good backyard offset is going to run between $1500-$4000. I'd recommend a Lang or Klose pit.
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Only advice for an offset is don't go cheap. Stay away from the crap that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. They are cheaply built and you will always be fighting the temps. I good backyard offset is going to run between $1500-$4000. I'd recommend a Lang or Klose pit.
                            Yeah, that's what I feared. I think I'll just have to get the WSM and suck it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              Yeah, that's what I feared. I think I'll just have to get the WSM and suck it up.
                              Nothing wrong with a WSM. I'd recommend the 22". You should be able to smoke 12-18 hours with out having to add charcoal. You can also add a stoker or other auto controller and not have to worry about minding the temps.

If you decide to go with an offset, here is a nice hybrid model. Has a charcoal grill and offset smoker with a warmer.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lan...id_deluxe.html

Comment

Nothing wrong with a WSM. I'd recommend the 22". You should be able to smoke 12-18 hours with out having to add charcoal. You can also add a stoker or other auto controller and not have to worry about minding the temps.

If you decide to go with an offset, here is a nice hybrid model. Has a charcoal grill and offset smoker with a warmer.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lan...id_deluxe.html
                                This is what is really attractive to me. When you use the WSM do you typically use water in the pan or some other material (sand/bricks, etc.)?

Comment

Working...
                                X