Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    very nice. you have given me a good idea for a xmas gift for my ol'man.
    I think they're still $10 off right now. A bit pricey for what it is and something that should come with the smoker, but it is worth it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• My silly wife thought a little snow would keep me from smoking the ham for dinner tonight. Oven shmoven. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this pitmaster from his appointed duty to create delicious smoked animal flesh for his loved ones!

Let it snow! Let it smoke! No unhallowed hand, etc.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• BTW, thanks to those whom Gidget contacted about Christmas gift ideas, especially you Coach.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          BTW, thanks to those whom Gidget contacted about Christmas gift ideas, especially you Coach.
          I got a couple of BBQ related items too. A motorized / steam cleaning grill brush and some insulated gloves to handle food with directly.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

BTW, thanks to those whom Gidget contacted about Christmas gift ideas, especially you Coach.
            You are welcome. What did she end up getting you?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You are welcome. What did she end up getting you?
              Thermapen and grill grates. Then my brother got me an apron, a pig tail meat flipper (sweet tool BTW), beer can chicken throne and some skewers. My parents bought me some pellets and a class at the local butcher where I learn to make sausage and then come home with 5 lbs of sausage. I got the BBQ hookup this Christmas. Completely unexpected.
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                A motorized / steam cleaning grill brush.
                That sounds great.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

She didn't contact me. Now my feelings are hurt.

Carry on.

Comment

• After burning off another wool gasket, I replaced it with a Rutland over the holiday break:

I more or less followed the Naked Whiz instructions. If anyone goes to do this and wants a few pointers, feel free to drop a PM.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Despite really wanting a smoker, I'm not about to get serious about a smoker. Someday in my life I will own something along the lines of a Traeger or BGE.

I currently have no outdoor cooking implement. I had a propane grill that I left in Portland when we moved several years ago. Now is the time for to have something to cook on outdoors. I have a very modest budget to buy something.

I'm thinking about getting a Weber Kettle Grill. Anyone have experience with these and if they are worth it at all. I realize I'm not smoking or bbqing with this thing, but grilling is nice as well. Is it worth it all, or should I just pocket the cash and save it up for when I can get a Traeger?
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                        Despite really wanting a smoker, I'm not about to get serious about a smoker. Someday in my life I will own something along the lines of a Traeger or BGE.

I currently have no outdoor cooking implement. I had a propane grill that I left in Portland when we moved several years ago. Now is the time for to have something to cook on outdoors. I have a very modest budget to buy something.

I'm thinking about getting a Weber Kettle Grill. Anyone have experience with these and if they are worth it at all. I realize I'm not smoking or bbqing with this thing, but grilling is nice as well. Is it worth it all, or should I just pocket the cash and save it up for when I can get a Traeger?
                        For the $150+ or so you'd spend on the Weber, I'd save a bit more and get a Chargriller Kamado Kooker. Ours was a little more than $200 at Lowes I believe on special.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

For the $150+ or so you'd spend on the Weber, I'd save a bit more and get a Chargriller Kamado Kooker. Ours was a little more than $200 at Lowes I believe on special.
                          I agree with this. The large weber grills just aren't that great. A quick Amazon search shows the Kamado Kooker at around $300. I think you'd be able to get one for less, though.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            I agree with this. The large weber grills just aren't that great. A quick Amazon search shows the Kamado Kooker at around $300. I think you'd be able to get one for less, though.
                            I found one online as low as $259.99. I think I'm going to hold off and save a bit more. I'll look around and when I can get it around $200-$225, I will pull the trigger.

Thanks pellegrino and surfah for the advice.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              I found one online as low as $259.99. I think I'm going to hold off and save a bit more. I'll look around and when I can get it around $200-$225, I will pull the trigger.

Thanks pellegrino and surfah for the advice.
                              I know Lowes carries them and they also have a 10% movers coupon. You can request the coupon from Lowes or pick up a change of address packet from any Post Office and they have the coupon in there. Wait for the grill to go on sale and then use the coupon to pick one up. I think you could get one for <$250 if you're patient. I think it's worth it. Great ratings. It's super versatile. You can grill and smoke on it. There is a bit of a learning curve with getting temps right for a smoker but there are plenty of places online to read about how to build a fire in it for certain types of cooks. Once you get it dialed in, it's pretty much set it and forget it. Also, upkeep is much easier than my Traeger. The Traeger is simple but I have t vacuum out ash, re-wrap the deflector in foil and clean the grates because I can't just crank it up hot enough to burn everything off like I can in the Kooker. Plus, lump coal costs less and lasts a lot longer than my pellets. I burned through almost a 20lb bag when I did 2 shoulders over the weekend for a 14 hour cook. Granted it was about <30 degrees and freezing rain, but the insulated Kooker is far more efficient. And the big advantage, I can do my pizzas on the Kooker.

I'd also comb KSL for smokers or grills. You can get some screaming deals. Right after I bought my Texas I saw a lil' Texas for sale for $300 on Craigslist and it was essentially new. I thought for a moment to take mine back to Costco (still unopened) and pick this one up instead. Part of me wishes I had.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Looks like I am going to put the Yoder up for sale. I am going to be upgrading to a Cookshack FEC-100 or FEC-120. They have a larger capacity and use less fuel than the Yoder. I'll lose the grilling capabilities, but I have found I really havnt used it that much. Anyways, going to miss her...

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X