Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #466
    Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    That is expensive for a Texas.
    Really? The Traeger site lists them for $999, seems like that's what Costco is selling them at as well. Are there significantly cheaper places to get them? After shipping costs too?

    How well does yours work in the winter?
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #467
      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
      Really? The Traeger site lists them for $999, seems like that's what Costco is selling them at as well. Are there significantly cheaper places to get them? After shipping costs too?

      How well does yours work in the winter?
      I got my Texas at Costco for 799. I haven't had mine for a winter yet.

      Comment

      • Drunk Tank
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 2569

        #468
        Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        I need some quick advice. How does your Traeger do in cold weather? I'm talking typical Utah winter, not Alaska.

        I can get a Texas from a dealer for $1049 tomorrow. If it can smoke/grill decently in a New Mexican winter, I'll probably get it.

        My accessory list
        Grill grates
        Frogmats
        Firebricks
        A thermometer
        Thermapen
        Lots and lots of pellets
        You will be disappointed in the Traeger as a grill. You cannot really sear, even with the grill grates. Just doesn't get hot enough. You can cook chicken, fish, pork easy enough, but you just won't get that nice sear on steaks, etc...
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

        Comment

        • San Juan Sun
          Kicked to the curb
          • Dec 2009
          • 9214

          #469
          After a last minute moment of crisis, the 16 year old bought the Ferrari. My Yoder ys640 is on it's way. Should be here next week sometime.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

          - Ty Cobb

          Comment

          • CJF
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8497

            #470
            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            After a last minute moment of crisis, the 16 year old bought the Ferrari. My Yoder ys640 is on it's way. Should be here next week sometime.
            You won't be disappointed. Welcome to the club.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

            Comment

            • mtnbiker
              it's all a blur
              • Mar 2009
              • 2573

              #471
              We pulled the trigger on a Traeger last night. Got it seasoned, and now need to find a few accessories and some nice cuts of meat.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69687

                #472
                Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                We pulled the trigger on a Traeger last night. Got it seasoned, and now need to find a few accessories and some nice cuts of meat.
                Welcome to the cult (ditto to SJS)!

                You might want to try ribs for your maiden voyage. Pretty tough to mess up.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #473
                  Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  After a last minute moment of crisis, the 16 year old bought the Ferrari. My Yoder ys640 is on it's way. Should be here next week sometime.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • CJF
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8497

                    #474
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Welcome to the cult (ditto to SJS)!

                    You might want to try ribs for your maiden voyage. Pretty tough to mess up.
                    Or pork butt. Almost impossible to make your own pulled pork that isn't at least ten times better than any restaurant version.

                    Congrats, mtn. I think this category is directly responsible for at least 10 smoker purchases over the last few years.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                    Comment

                    • Joe Public
                      8.1 YPC
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 8524

                      #475
                      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                      After a last minute moment of crisis, the 16 year old bought the Ferrari. My Yoder ys640 is on it's way. Should be here next week sometime.
                      Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                      We pulled the trigger on a Traeger last night. Got it seasoned, and now need to find a few accessories and some nice cuts of meat.
                      Enjoy, fellas. I can't speak to ribs because I haven't made them yet, but I agree with CJF that pulled pork is a very enjoyable and forgiving first cook.

                      (Warning: the purchase of a smoker may cause repeated viewing of Season 1 of "BBQ Pitmasters" on Netflix.)
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                      Comment

                      • FN Phat
                        I ♥ gateway sex
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 8691

                        #476
                        Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        Enjoy, fellas. I can't speak to ribs because I haven't made them yet, but I agree with CJF that pulled pork is a very enjoyable and forgiving first cook.

                        (Warning: the purchase of a smoker may cause repeated viewing of Season 1 of "BBQ Pitmasters" on Netflix.)
                        I love that show
                        I'm your huckleberry.


                        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                        Comment

                        • CJF
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8497

                          #477
                          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                          I love that show
                          Me too. I ate at Tuffy's restaurant a few weeks ago. It was very good BBQ but the sides were incredible. Dude has some very good recipes. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Hampton just for a meal there.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                          Comment

                          • Coach McGuirk
                            1
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12109

                            #478
                            Looking forward to your inaugural cooks fellas. Well, and all the rest of the cooks after that as well. As long as you post up. Good stuff.

                            Comment

                            • FN Phat
                              I ♥ gateway sex
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 8691

                              #479
                              Originally posted by CJF View Post
                              Me too. I ate at Tuffy's restaurant a few weeks ago. It was very good BBQ but the sides were incredible. Dude has some very good recipes. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Hampton just for a meal there.
                              I love Myron and Tuffy, but that other dude from Texas....I can do without. The sides is what separates good BBQ with great BBQ. We need to share more recipes for sides.
                              I'm your huckleberry.


                              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                              Comment

                              • CJF
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8497

                                #480
                                Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                                I love Myron and Tuffy, but that other dude from Texas....I can do without. The sides is what separates good BBQ with great BBQ. We need to share more recipes for sides.
                                Johnny Trigg or the young guy? I like Trigg a lot and his ribs are the best. He is great in season 2. The young guy and the woman from VA bugged me. I like Slap Yo Daddy a lot also. Tuffy is a season 3 judge.

                                And you're right about the sides. We need a good sides thread.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                                Comment

                                Working...