Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #166
    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    jay santos getting totally exposed for the fraud he is itt


    lol, maybe. all I know is my wife's roasts used to look like the far right, now they look like the far left. I can't help JL in his spat with YO over the searing step. All I care about is eating juicy, red meat.

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 37973

      #167
      Originally posted by jay santos View Post


      lol, maybe. all I know is my wife's roasts used to look like the far right, now they look like the far left. I can't help JL in his spat with YO over the searing step. All I care about is eating juicy, red meat.
      140 looks about right to me.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69676

        #168
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Did some big thick pork chops last night in the sous vide. Marinated the chops in an asian sauce then grilled and served with more of the sauce and topped with green onion and cilantro. Delish.

        However... I did the searing using a cast iron pan as usual. I got distracted as the pan was heating up and when I through the chops on, the kitchen (and house) was immediately filled with smoke. I use avocado oil, so I think the marinate and the high heat were the problem. We had to open all the windows and turn on some fans. 2-3 hours later and house still smelled greasy. My wife (who is super sensitive to smells) informed me that we have done our last sous vide meal.

        Desperate times call for desperate measures so I did some research on outdoor searing. Looked at lots of options, but ended up buying this unit:

        https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...f_rd_i=desktop


        In addition to sous vide, I look forward to using it for Korean BBQ, Japanese yakiniku, and other dishes cooked at the table. Not to mention camping, I guess. Excited to give it a shot. I will return and report.
        I am loving this thing. Fires up with one click and the pan is smoking hot in a couple of minutes. Plenty hot for searing.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • bestellen
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2016
          • 30

          #169
          I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food.
          hi

          Comment

          • jay santos
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 13652

            #170
            Originally posted by bestellen View Post
            I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food.
            Right??!!

            Comment

            • old_gregg
              scaly man fish
              • Nov 2009
              • 16915

              #171
              so, you could probably just throw some eggs in a water bath (no bag) to get nice soft boiled eggs, right?
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

              Comment

              • Drunk Tank
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 2569

                #172
                yes



                Edit...there a bunch of videos and how to's on sous vide eggs and all have different takes. The link posted above doesn't seem all that great.
                Last edited by Drunk Tank; 04-13-2017, 06:47 AM.
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #173
                  I've done this a few times. Good results. But I always feel like my eggs are a little underdone relative to that guide. Could my device be off a couple degrees? Is there altitude effect?

                  Comment

                  • Drunk Tank
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2569

                    #174
                    That has been my result as well. Some sites I read that 73°C for 13 min gives a perfect egg, but I also read comments that peoples eggs come out runny as well. May have to do with size of egg, freshness, temperature of egg etc. Some people hard boil for 3 min to set the whites and then sous vide to set the yolk and vice versa. I think if you go that route you will want to shock them in an ice bath between switching them from boiling to sous vide.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #175
                      did it last night. two hours at 156. whites were set, but the yolks came out pretty dry and a weird texture. might be the fresh eggs.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27875

                        #176
                        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        did it last night. two hours at 156. whites were set, but the yolks came out pretty dry and a weird texture. might be the fresh eggs.
                        Why not just bring water to a boil and then drop in an egg for 8-10 minutes?


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • cougjunkie
                          *Banned*
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 23223

                          #177
                          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Why not just bring water to a boil and then drop in an egg for 8-10 minutes?


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          He would get kicked out of his hipster club.
                          *Banned*

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #178
                            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            He would get kicked out of his hipster club.
                            Oldish_Greggory and Duderino growing out shaped mustaches and wearing tight jeans. As long as they are all-in the will stick to craft ginger beers.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #179
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Why not just bring water to a boil and then drop in an egg for 8-10 minutes?


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Becasue that is Sous BORING
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69676

                                #180
                                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Oldish_Greggory and Duderino growing out shaped mustaches and wearing tight jeans. As long as they are all-in the will stick to craft ginger beers.
                                Ha.

                                We boil ours the old-fashioned way.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...