Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Drunk Tank
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2569

    #196
    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    sous vide chicken breasts. sear. roast asparagus. roast broccoli and cauliflower. put in thing. boom, week's lunch in perfectly controlled portions in about 20 mins.
    So say you meal prep on Sunday, by Friday you are eating 5 day old leftovers? I am not big on leftovers, so the whole meal prep thing doesn't seem right to me. Do you store them in the fridge or freezer?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #197
      Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      So say you meal prep on Sunday, by Friday you are eating 5 day old leftovers? I am not big on leftovers, so the whole meal prep thing doesn't seem right to me. Do you store them in the fridge or freezer?
      fridge. nbd for five days bro.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37996

        #198
        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        fridge. nbd for five days bro.
        What about eating the same thing for five days straight? Each successive day's meal getting a little more stale as the week goes on and on and on... and on......
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #199
          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Olden_Gregster either just brings his sous vide machine into the break room.
          Actually this is what I do. I've been experimenting with different things. Last few weeks, I've done this. Sous vide a bunch of chicken breasts and put in fridge. Then I have various sauces, Korean BBQ, Thai peanut, Indian Masala, Orange chicken, etc. I take a chicken breast out of fridge and back in a bag, put some sauce in, shred it all up with my hands squeezing the bag, toss in sous bide at 145 again for a few minutes. Perfect lunch. I'm on high protein diet right now, so that's all I get for lunch.

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #200
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            What about eating the same thing for five days straight? Each successive day's meal getting a little more stale as the week goes on and on and on... and on......
            switch veggies and spices used on chicken.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21148

              #201
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              sous vide+these=meal planning cheat code

              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I97JQ28/
              Do those containers only accept food cooked via sous vide? So the tri-tip I smoked on the Traeger yesterday wouldn't work in those containers, right?

              Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • old_gregg
                scaly man fish
                • Nov 2009
                • 16915

                #202
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Do those containers only accept food cooked via sous vide? So the tri-tip I smoked on the Traeger yesterday wouldn't work in those containers, right?

                Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                if you're eating brisket multiple times per week portion control is probably not for you. maybe one of these guys would work better for your brisket, hostess products and sweet tea?

                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21148

                  #203
                  Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  if you're eating brisket multiple times per week portion control is probably not for you. maybe one of these guys would work better for your brisket, hostess products and sweet tea?

                  Who said anything about brisket?

                  That does look like a useful container, though maybe a bit small for a meal.

                  Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • jay santos
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 13652

                    #204
                    steak.jpg


                    Tenderloin at 120 for about 60 minutes finished with torch. Just about as good as I've ever cooked a steak myself.

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #205
                      I bought one of these gizmos last week. I got the Anova bluetooth model. I tried it out on a ribeye. I seasoned then put it in the preheated water at 126 degrees. Cooked for an hour and then seared on the grill for a few minutes. The steak had a great color throughout but was a bit tough. Where am I going wrong? Should I cook at a little lower temp if I'm going to sear on the grill?

                      What about chicken? Any favorite recipes?

                      Comment

                      • Clark Addison
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10314

                        #206
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        I bought one of these gizmos last week. I got the Anova bluetooth model. I tried it out on a ribeye. I seasoned then put it in the preheated water at 126 degrees. Cooked for an hour and then seared on the grill for a few minutes. The steak had a great color throughout but was a bit tough. Where am I going wrong? Should I cook at a little lower temp if I'm going to sear on the grill?

                        What about chicken? Any favorite recipes?
                        To get it a little more tender, I would actually go a few degrees up, maybe in the 129 to 134 range. The grill should be hot enough and the time on it short enough that it doesn't much impact anything except the outer crust.

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #207
                          Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                          I bought one of these gizmos last week. I got the Anova bluetooth model. I tried it out on a ribeye. I seasoned then put it in the preheated water at 126 degrees. Cooked for an hour and then seared on the grill for a few minutes. The steak had a great color throughout but was a bit tough. Where am I going wrong? Should I cook at a little lower temp if I'm going to sear on the grill?

                          What about chicken? Any favorite recipes?
                          depending on thickness, i would probably sous vide for between two and three hours at 129.5.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #208
                            Also sous vide only makes meat incrementally more tender. If doesn't turn select cuts into wagyu. But cooking it at that rare of a temp for only an hour won't do much in the way of breaking down proteins. It's just getting your meat to the same temperature all the way through.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10450

                              #209
                              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              depending on thickness, i would probably sous vide for between two and three hours at 129.5.
                              Makes sense. I'll try it this weekend.

                              Comment

                              • Shaka
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 10450

                                #210
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                Also sous vide only makes meat incrementally more tender. If doesn't turn select cuts into wagyu. But cooking it at that rare of a temp for only an hour won't do much in the way of breaking down proteins. It's just getting your meat to the same temperature all the way through.
                                Good advice. What advice to you have for chicken?

                                Comment

                                Working...