Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21149

    #121
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Did a cheap rump roast at 132 for about 18 hours for french dip sandwiches. Absolutely perfect outcome. By far the best success we've had with that cut of meat.
    What did you do to finish it? Seasonings?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • Joe Public
      8.1 YPC
      • Apr 2011
      • 8533

      #122
      Originally posted by CJF View Post
      I was curious but not equipped. I had grabbed a package of New York strips from the Smith's clearance Saturday and threw them in my food saver and then in the freezer. I grabbed a two pack out today and threw them in a pot. My fully hot tap water comes out at 133 degrees. My stove kept that temp within 1 degree the 8 different times I put a thermometer in the water. 150 minutes later, 45 seconds on each side on my cast iron I had a finished product. I put a little smoked alder salt and a pat of my homemade roasted garlic butter. Very tasty. Now that I know that my gas stove will maintain the temp, it will be much easier in the future.


      I fiddled around with some rib roast leftovers after Christmas:

      image.jpg

      It doesn't look like it in the picture, but the water line is above the Ziploc-enclosed meat. It worked pretty well for bringing some leftover slices back to temp without overlooking them.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

      Comment

      • jay santos
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 13652

        #123
        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        What did you do to finish it? Seasonings?
        Nothing fancy. Seared each side in frying pan on high heat with butter and seasonings.

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #124
          The Anova was $99 the other day, so I got one. It's been fun. I buy meat that's at a discount due to the sell by date being the next day, and then sous vide it, and the three meals I've made so far have been hits with the kids. My wife likes that I can buy thick-cut pork loin chops and not have to burn them to make sure the middle is cooked.

          I did a beef round roast that I got for $9 (6.8 lbs) for 28 hours @136F, and I could cut it with any knife in my block. It was fork-tender. It's going to be fun.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • Walter Sobchak
            Adventurer
            • Oct 2009
            • 3815

            #125
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            The Anova was $99 the other day, so I got one. It's been fun. I buy meat that's at a discount due to the sell by date being the next day, and then sous vide it, and the three meals I've made so far have been hits with the kids. My wife likes that I can buy thick-cut pork loin chops and not have to burn them to make sure the middle is cooked.

            I did a beef round roast that I got for $9 (6.8 lbs) for 28 hours @136F, and I could cut it with any knife in my block. It was fork-tender. It's going to be fun.
            That tree that fell on your house... it took out your meat slicer too, right?

            Time to get a new one. Sandwiches await.

            581.jpg
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

            Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37996

              #126
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              The Anova was $99 the other day, so I got one. It's been fun. I buy meat that's at a discount due to the sell by date being the next day, and then sous vide it, and the three meals I've made so far have been hits with the kids. My wife likes that I can buy thick-cut pork loin chops and not have to burn them to make sure the middle is cooked.

              I did a beef round roast that I got for $9 (6.8 lbs) for 28 hours @136F, and I could cut it with any knife in my block. It was fork-tender. It's going to be fun.
              28 hours?!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • hostile
                lollygagger
                • Dec 2009
                • 5736

                #127
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                28 hours?!
                Tantric sous-vide
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37996

                  #128
                  Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  Tantric sous-vide
                  wuap combining two of his favorite things.

                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #129
                    Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    That tree that fell on your house... it took out your meat slicer too, right?

                    Time to get a new one. Sandwiches await.

                    [ATTACH]7715[/ATTACH]
                    This is the one I've got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    28 hours?!
                    What do you think sous vide is for? I want tender meat. 28 hours made it as tender as that one time in Vegas.

                    Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    Tantric sous-vide
                    In Spanish, people call me "Estín."
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Walter Sobchak
                      Adventurer
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 3815

                      #130
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      28 hours?!
                      round roast: 28 hours @ 136 128. yep. remove from bath, partially freeze, then thinly slice. bag it up, use for sammies. pile it high on some fresh bread with some tomato, nutty cheese, lettuce, mayo and horseradish mustard. all day, every day.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                      Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69742

                        #131
                        Did some big thick pork chops last night in the sous vide. Marinated the chops in an asian sauce then grilled and served with more of the sauce and topped with green onion and cilantro. Delish.

                        However... I did the searing using a cast iron pan as usual. I got distracted as the pan was heating up and when I through the chops on, the kitchen (and house) was immediately filled with smoke. I use avocado oil, so I think the marinate and the high heat were the problem. We had to open all the windows and turn on some fans. 2-3 hours later and house still smelled greasy. My wife (who is super sensitive to smells) informed me that we have done our last sous vide meal.

                        Desperate times call for desperate measures so I did some research on outdoor searing. Looked at lots of options, but ended up buying this unit:

                        https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...f_rd_i=desktop



                        In addition to sous vide, I look forward to using it for Korean BBQ, Japanese yakiniku, and other dishes cooked at the table. Not to mention camping, I guess. Excited to give it a shot. I will return and report.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #132
                          JL I'm so glad you found a workaround to your wife not letting you cook family dinner inside! Whaaaa chaaaa!

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69742

                            #133
                            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            JL I'm so glad you found a workaround to your wife not letting you cook family dinner inside! Whaaaa chaaaa!
                            GTFO of our cool sous vide thread!
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • hostile
                              lollygagger
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 5736

                              #134
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Did some big thick pork chops last night in the sous vide. Marinated the chops in an asian sauce then grilled and served with more of the sauce and topped with green onion and cilantro. Delish.

                              However... I did the searing using a cast iron pan as usual. I got distracted as the pan was heating up and when I through the chops on, the kitchen (and house) was immediately filled with smoke. I use avocado oil, so I think the marinate and the high heat were the problem. We had to open all the windows and turn on some fans. 2-3 hours later and house still smelled greasy. My wife (who is super sensitive to smells) informed me that we have done our last sous vide meal.

                              Desperate times call for desperate measures so I did some research on outdoor searing. Looked at lots of options, but ended up buying this unit:

                              https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...f_rd_i=desktop



                              In addition to sous vide, I look forward to using it for Korean BBQ, Japanese yakiniku, and other dishes cooked at the table. Not to mention camping, I guess. Excited to give it a shot. I will return and report.
                              I have a Camp Chef double propane burner that I use for canning. It is a bit of a hassle to set up for just a single meal but I may have to try it. I think it generates more BTU than my stove.
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                              "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69742

                                #135
                                Originally posted by hostile View Post
                                I have a Camp Chef double propane burner that I use for canning. It is a bit of a hassle to set up for just a single meal but I may have to try it. I think it generates more BTU than my stove.
                                So do I, but I don't want that much hassle. I also looked at getting this:

                                https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-SHP...ef+high+output

                                but again decided it was too cumbersome. The Iwatani unit looks perfect. Nice and compact and one piece. Just turn it on and go. They say it generates plenty of heat for searing.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...