Mad Men

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #16
    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    After looking through the entire archive of The Critic's Corner, I am dismayed and ashamed to find not one, but two previous Mad Men threads.

    I blame the search function. It didn't return mad, men, or mad men when I searched.

    Also, I'm halfway through season 2, and either my enjoyment is merely growing with each episode, or I think it's better than season 1.



    You identify Don Draper as an antihero, which is an above-average observation, but all you can take from Peggy Olsen and Joan Holloway is their attractiveness? They're both central characters that reflect the feminine POV in a masculine environment.
    Unfortunately the girl that plays Don Draper's wife is a horrible actress. I'm not really sure what the writers are trying to convey with her. I saw her interview on one of the late night talkshows and she's as dumb as they come. She's a former Abercrombie and Fitch model who went out with Ashton Kutcher and I'm not sure if she has progressed much beyond that point.

    Joan Holloway's character might be going away, though that's far from sure. That would be a loss.

    The show has a lot of fertile ground to cover in the upcoming seasons because of the time period. They provide subtle and overt hints periodically about the exact time that a particular episode is taking place. Right now, they're on July 4, 1963, which means one of the next 3 episodes or so will cover both Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech (August 1963) and the JFK assasination. Next season they'll have Beatlemania (or maybe late this season), and then they'll feature the changes in music, fashions, social values and then Vietnam. Can you imagine what this show will do with the late 60s? It will be interesting.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #17
      I've always interpreted the opening credits as foreshadowing that Don Draper is going to defenestrate.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 38003

        #18
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        I've always interpreted the opening credits as foreshadowing that Don Draper is going to defenestrate.
        There's a word that doesn't come up often in everyday conversation.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Levin
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1152

          #19
          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Unfortunately the girl that plays Don Draper's wife is a horrible actress. I'm not really sure what the writers are trying to convey with her. I saw her interview on one of the late night talkshows and she's as dumb as they come. She's a former Abercrombie and Fitch model who went out with Ashton Kutcher and I'm not sure if she has progressed much beyond that point.

          I totally disagree; I think January Jones has done a superb job. (I haven't seen any of Season 3, so my judgments are based off the first two seasons.)

          Do you get the sense that her surface life is different from her inner life? Check.

          Do you get the sense that she knows more than she lets on? Check.

          Do you get the sense that her suffering is real? Check.

          Do you get the sense that she maintains the order in the physical world (her home, her appearance) so that the chaos of her inner world doesn't swallow her whole? Check.

          Do you feel her coldness toward her children is both a source of pain and relief? Check.

          And her eyes -- don't you see that everything is expressed through her eyes?

          I'm actually very impressed by her understated performance. I get that you may think she comes of as wooden; but it's not.

          Comment

          • Color Me Badd Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 12519

            #20
            Originally posted by Levin View Post
            I totally disagree; I think January Jones has done a superb job. (I haven't seen any of Season 3, so my judgments are based off the first two seasons.)

            Do you get the sense that her surface life is different from her inner life? Check.

            Do you get the sense that she knows more than she lets on? Check.

            Do you get the sense that her suffering is real? Check.

            Do you get the sense that she maintains the order in the physical world (her home, her appearance) so that the chaos of her inner world doesn't swallow her whole? Check.

            Do you feel her coldness toward her children is both a source of pain and relief? Check.

            And her eyes -- don't you see that everything is expressed through her eyes?

            I'm actually very impressed by her understated performance. I get that you may think she comes of as wooden; but it's not.
            I guess you haven't seen American Pie 3 and Love Actually where she gave the exact same performance that you see in Mad Men. You're reading too much into her understated performance.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

            Comment

            • Levin
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 1152

              #21
              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              I guess you haven't seen American Pie 3 and Love Actually where she gave the exact same performance that you see in Mad Men. You're reading too much into her understated performance.
              Perhaps; but her performance works for me.

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 38003

                #22
                Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                I guess you haven't seen American Pie 3 and Love Actually where she gave the exact same performance that you see in Mad Men. You're reading too much into her understated performance.
                But she was great as the lesbian pornstar in Anger Management.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • BoylenOver
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 9146

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  I guess you haven't seen American Pie 3 and Love Actually where she gave the exact same performance that you see in Mad Men. You're reading too much into her understated performance.
                  You're probably right, but for MM, it works.
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                  Comment

                  • Viking
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 6470

                    #24
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    You're probably right, but for MM, it works.
                    I rolled Don Draper-style for the birth of #3. I sat in the lobby of the hospital. When the baby and mom were cleaned up, I went into the room.

                    Comment

                    • UteStar
                      Sexiest Poster in Town
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2419

                      #25
                      I think the show is well done. I think it is interesting in showing the times...with that said, I have never really gotten into the show.

                      Comment

                      • BoylenOver
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 9146

                        #26
                        The end to the second season is dynamite. Incredible.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #27
                          I should not be counted among the fans of tonight's episode. I thought it was poorly written and acted. January Jones is hot, and well, that's about it.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #28
                            I could really not care less about Betty Draper. Jones's acting is just so bad that it makes it hard to watch--even the dream sequence.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • Mormon Red Death
                              BYU Delenda Est
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8077

                              #29
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              I could really not care less about Betty Draper. Jones's acting is just so bad that it makes it hard to watch--even the dream sequence.
                              Whether she is doing a good job this year or not is debatable but the season 1 episode where she got fired from the commercial shoot after Don didn't take the job was classic.

                              The a-hole neighbor with his pigeons threatens to the little kids to shoot their dog and there she is cigarrette in her mouth shooting away.

                              [YOUTUBE]ltl0EQ9O7Gg[/YOUTUBE]
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                              "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                              Comment

                              • Tim
                                Not Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 4390

                                #30
                                Sunday's was the best episode the show has ever had. Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a TV SHOW and not a film -- the acting, the production design, the characters -- all are simply unrivaled.
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

                                Comment

                                Working...