No announcement yet.

Mad Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knew a guy named Tagg wouldn't appreciate a fictional drama?

I thought it was a decent episode. Michael is hilarious, and like it was mentioned, Roger Sterling is a gem.

Don and Betty probably have a better relationship divorced than they did married.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      Who knew a guy named Tagg wouldn't appreciate a fictional drama?

I thought it was a decent episode. Michael is hilarious, and like it was mentioned, Roger Sterling is a gem.

Don and Betty probably have a better relationship divorced than they did married.
      So do I and my ex-wife. We're fantastic friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Don't blow up. In the early seasons Betty was a real bitch about her daughter's weight... Betty gaining weight is totally karma for her obsessing about her little girl's weight. We're supposed to be happy she got fat.

Joan, on the other hand, can rock the curves. Although, I wouldn't want to have to carry those things around, especially on a run. I get a back ache just looking at her.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• Still waiting for someone to point out a character who's admirable and has something like a happy life among the Mad Men folks....
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            Still waiting for someone to point out a character who's admirable and has something like a happy life among the Mad Men folks....
            Happy people are boring.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Still waiting for someone to point out a character who's admirable and has something like a happy life among the Mad Men folks....
              Don Draper's new wife is happy and admirable.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• LOL! Lib media? What an idiot...
                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

If you want happy people, go watch Wheel of Fortune.
                  Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    LOL! Lib media? What an idiot...
                    From the article:

Last night's episode, called "Tea Leaves," was directed by Mad Men star Jon Hamm and written by Erin Levy and Matthew Weiner, who's the show's creator.

Weiner told Bill Maher on HBO's Real Time this past Friday that he's a Democrat.
                    Is Matthew related to Anthony?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      If you want happy people, go watch Wheel of Fortune.
                      I'd be content with one person in an entire cast of characters. That seems realistic to me. I'll broaden my request. How 'bout you tell me about a Mad Men character who (a) the audience can care about or (b) doesn't live a self-inflicted miserable life? I mean, the show looks to me like a tony soap opera. I like James Lileks' take:

There are two approaches to writing about Mad Men. Number one: this is a serious show about America and I am a serious person so I will think about what it all means. As in:

“Maybe it’s not all about work,” Dr. Miller says to Don Draper at the start of “Tomorrowland,” the end of the latest Mad Men season.* It’s good advice. Like every other piece of good advice, you suspect Don will hear it, understand it — and ignore it. A man is his work, isn’t he? You can step away tomorrow.* Tomorrow you can go to California, to Disneyland.

The second approach:

Did you not just love it when Peggy stomped into Joanie’s office after getting the news about Don and grabbed a cigarette and vented?* She’s mad at Don for stealing her limelight again of course, but was that heartbreak in her face when she realized he was in L-O-V-E? And then there was Betsy’s awesome coat at the end when she was in the house with Don alone. She’s always so put together, even when she’s falling apart!

They’re both correct, which explains the show’s appeal. It’s a thoughtful disquisition on the days before the counterculture began its transformation of the post-war order, and also a soap with exquisite production values.
                      The show's well-done and kinda fun to watch, but it ain't Shakespeare.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

I'd be content with one person in an entire cast of characters. That seems realistic to me. I'll broaden my request. How 'bout you tell me about a Mad Men character who (a) the audience can care about or (b) doesn't live a self-inflicted miserable life? I mean, the show looks to me like a tony soap opera. I like James Lileks' take:

Or it could be a combo of both, which is what reasonable people who don't need everything to be talked about in extremes do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                          Or it could be a combo of both, which is what reasonable people who don't need everything to be talked about in extremes do.
                          Hey, this is about the show, not about any real person. You miserable....
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

In the New York Review of Books Daniel Mendelsohn wrote that the show is not great art but he concludes he likes it and it is extremely popular because so many of us know that's how our parents lived. Well, my parents didn't live that way to my knowleldge, but I do recall as a child my father describing his workaday world and convention sojourns as involving constant exposure to colleagues' alcholohism, inconsiderate chain smoking in close quarters, objectification of women, and of course rampant adultery. It was just like Mad Men, and far more decadant and amoral a world than anything I've been exposed to in a fairly tough and stressed environment of lawyers. Until Mad Men came along I was wondering if he was embelishing or ultra-sensitized like a BYU fan at Rice-Eccles stadium.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              In the New York Review of Books Daniel Mendelsohn wrote that the show is not great art but he concludes he likes it and it is extremely popular because so many of us know that's how our parents lived. Well, my parents didn't live that way to my knowleldge, but I do recall as a child my father describing his workaday world and convention sojourns as involving constant exposure to colleagues' alcholohism, inconsiderate chain smoking in close quarters, objectification of women, and of course rampant adultery. It was just like Mad Men, and far more decadant and amoral a world than anything I've been exposed to in a fairly tough and stressed environment of lawyers. Until Mad Men came along I was wondering if he was embelishing or ultra-sensitized like a BYU fan at Rice-Eccles stadium.
                              I think you've nailed the show's appeal. Watching those "Mad Men" characters is kind of like watching Michael Scott in "The Office," without the comedy and lovable goofiness: "Holy cow, did he really just say that?" My guess is, however, that the behavior in "Mad Men" is about as close to how things really were in 1960s Madison Avenue ad agencies as the hijinks in "L.A. Law" were to life in real L.A. law firms.
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Is Tim the only one you will hear from on this? I answered your query above.
                                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Working...
                                X