Mad Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Men

I got the first disc of the first season on netflix. Holy cow. Great show.

Now I know what people have been raving about for the last few years. Jon Hamm is unbelievable. And the fashion! The smoking is pretty funny.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post

Now I know what people have been raving about for the last few years. Jon Hamm is unbelievable. And the fashion! The smoking is pretty funny.

I enjoyed the scene last week when Betty's dad told her that her standing up, doing the dishes, was bad for the baby she was carrying, and that she should sit down and have a smoke with him.

Comment

I just started this show last week, already done with season one. I love how the writers don't feel the need to beat you over the head with everything, very subtle writing.

Comment

My wife and I just started watching this show as well. We just finished disc 2 of season 1; six episodes in. This show took a long time to get going. I wasn't really pulled in until episode 5. Seems like it has potential.

Comment

Who gives a <redacted> about plot?

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

For those who are caught up, the Slate.com TV Club articles about Mad Men are awesome.

For example, this article about Conrad Hilton possibly being the old guy manning the bar with whom Don spoke at the party was pretty fascinating.

http://www.slate.com/id/2225274/entry/2226878/

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Who gives a <redacted> about plot?

True enough, although there are no boobies in this show because it airs on AMC. Bummer. The red-head and Draper's wife are both pretty hot. Draper's secretary...not so much.

Comment

I've been meaning to give this show a try. I've never heard anyone give it a negative review. I'll have to put it in my queue.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Tonight's show (9/20) was absolutely hilarious. That episode will win the emmy for 2010 which will be a 3peat as they just won the emmy for for 2009
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Still not feeling it.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Me too. I can watch it but I don't particularly like it. Mrs. Viking is in love with the show (and DD). I enjoy DD's antihero status. The curvaceuous redhead is definitely worthy. The old secretary is hideous (and a Scientologist).

DD's wife is super hot. Beyond that...blurg

Comment

My wife also loves it. IDK, just can't get into it. I usually start out watching an episode with her but by the end I'm reading a book or magazine.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          Tonight's show (9/20) was absolutely hilarious. That episode will win the emmy for 2010 which will be a 3peat as they just won the emmy for for 2009
                          This season has been a little slow out of the gate for me, but I agree, tonight's episode was awesome.
                          "Remember to double tap"

Comment

After looking through the entire archive of The Critic's Corner, I am dismayed and ashamed to find not one, but two previous Mad Men threads.

I blame the search function. It didn't return mad, men, or mad men when I searched.

Also, I'm halfway through season 2, and either my enjoyment is merely growing with each episode, or I think it's better than season 1.

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                            Me too. I can watch it but I don't particularly like it. Mrs. Viking is in love with the show (and DD). I enjoy DD's antihero status. The curvaceuous redhead is definitely worthy. The old secretary is hideous (and a Scientologist).

DD's wife is super hot. Beyond that...blurg
                            You identify Don Draper as an antihero, which is an above-average observation, but all you can take from Peggy Olsen and Joan Holloway is their attractiveness? They're both central characters that reflect the feminine POV in a masculine environment.
                            Last edited by BoylenOver; 09-22-2009, 04:28 AM.
                            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

After looking through the entire archive of The Critic's Corner, I am dismayed and ashamed to find not one, but two previous Mad Men threads.

I blame the search function. It didn't return mad, men, or mad men when I searched.

Also, I'm halfway through season 2, and either my enjoyment is merely growing with each episode, or I think it's better than season 1.

You identify Don Draper as an antihero, which is an above-average observation, but all you can take from Peggy Olsen and Joan Holloway is their attractiveness? They're both central characters that reflect the feminine POV in a masculine environment.
                              I'm solidly above average.

Re the women: I'm sure there's an interesting story. It is not interesting to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X