The HBO Original Programming Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #226
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    It's an above average show that is HIGHLY overrated. Go in with low expectations and you will be fine. And i'm not wrong that each season has been worse than the one before. So there's that.
    WTF is wrong with the place? Don't we have some kind of policy against hate speech?!? Succession is not yet in my top 5 all time shows- primarily by a below average early part of S3 - but it fast approaching it. I enjoy seeing all the siblings interact with one another, but my favorite scenes always involve Logan and his kids.

    Comment

    • MartyFunkhouser
      Disciple of RNGesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 18751

      #227
      I enjoyed the documentary about Bob Einstein. Seriously, the guy is funny as hell. It is incredible that he was somehow able to one up his Super Dave Osborne character.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

      Comment

      • Flystripper
        Degenerate Gambler
        • Nov 2008
        • 14089

        #228
        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

        counterpoint: greg
        Greg and Tom might be one of the best comedy duos of all time.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16936

          #229
          I like Succession a lot, but it took me two attempts to get into it. Pretty much every character is despicable, the language is often very foul, and some of the scenes are unbearably awful (e.g., Roman pleasuring himself while facing out a full-length Manhattan office window). But given the glowing reviews provided by people I respect, I tried again and ended up loving the dialogue, the constant backstabbing, and the very dark humor that pervades the series.

          There’s a lot of great acting to behold here. Plus, the theme song and opening credits are superb. Among other great episodes, the last of season 2 is one of the best episodes of any show in recent memory (“Ozymandias” in Breaking Bad being maybe slightly better, but it’s in that class). The conversation among all the characters on the absurdly luxurious yacht will be forever rewatchable. And Greg appearing before Congress remains one of my favorite 30-second clips of all time. He and Tom together are unfailingly entertaining.
          Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 01-06-2022, 09:08 AM.

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18023

            #230
            Fun to watch the 20 year Harry Potter reunion. A lot of my and my kids' time was spent with those movies and books. But it was a travesty not to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) in it. What gives?
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • BigPiney
              Huge Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12366

              #231
              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Fun to watch the 20 year Harry Potter reunion. A lot of my and my kids' time was spent with those movies and books. But it was a travesty not to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) in it. What gives?
              rumour is that is has dementia. But there were a lot of people missing that I wondered about as well.

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18023

                #232
                Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

                rumour is that is has dementia. But there were a lot of people missing that I wondered about as well.
                I saw that too. But as we were searching looking for any clues it seems that he gave up stage acting because it was hard to remember all the lines, but not film acting. So I'm not sure if full-blown dementia is to blame.

                Yeah, a lot of other important people were not there either. But of all the people I wanted Dumbledore to be there the most.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • old_gregg
                  scaly man fish
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 16915

                  #233
                  righteous gemstones
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #234
                    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    righteous gemstones
                    Love that show. Are we getting another season or not?
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • Flystripper
                      Degenerate Gambler
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14089

                      #235
                      you mean another one after this one? Season 2 just started last night.
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #236
                        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        you mean another one after this one? Season 2 just started last night.
                        Well that's good news. I hadn't heard...
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Flystripper
                          Degenerate Gambler
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14089

                          #237
                          Originally posted by Commando View Post

                          Well that's good news. I hadn't heard...
                          ok ok sorry. Of course you knew.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #238
                            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

                            ok ok sorry. Of course you knew.
                            lol no I was serious. I haven't been really tuned in to shows coming out on HBO and Gregg was not very specific about why he was about the show.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69696

                              #239
                              Anyone plan on watching The Gilded Age? Premiere is tonight. Written and produced by Julian Fellowes, who gave us Downton Abbey. This time the series is set in 1880's America and features wealthy families in NY.

                              Reviews have been interesting. The big rags like NYT and WaPo have been panning it, but most other reviews are very positive (84% on RT). It seems as if the big woke papers can't bring themselves to say something positive about a series focusing on rich folks. That's my theory anyway.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • PaloAltoCougar
                                Semper infra dignitatem
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 16936

                                #240
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Anyone plan on watching The Gilded Age? Premiere is tonight. Written and produced by Julian Fellowes, who gave us Downton Abbey. This time the series is set in 1880's America and features wealthy families in NY.

                                Reviews have been interesting. The big rags like NYT and WaPo have been panning it, but most other reviews are very positive (84% on RT). It seems as if the big woke papers can't bring themselves to say something positive about a series focusing on rich folks. That's my theory anyway.
                                We've had it season-passed for several days now. Downton Abbey and the Robber Barons, perhaps. I'm expecting something like Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence, which he described as the most violent movie he ever directed (despite the absence of gunplay).

                                Comment

                                Working...