Atari 2600 is were it was at.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #31
    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    What if I have played other games from its era and it clearly sucks in comparison?
    nope. Did you take a break from Halo and play some Coleco games? You are severely prejudiced.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #32
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      nope. Did you take a break from Halo and play some Coleco games? You are severely prejudiced.
      My best friend growing up had an Atari and another system that used cassette tapes... can't remember what it was.

      I have played plenty of games from that era. Lots of them are fun.

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #33
        I know this.. but at the time know that a lot of these games that seemed fun back then were fun because they were graphic marvels. My friend had an Atari 2600, which was fun, but seemed sucky compared to our ColecoVision. Given a choice between a technically superior Atari game (like Tanks or Pitfall) and Smurfs, it was a wash b/c of the graphics component. Now, in the midst of the games we have now, comparing two games from that era loses that 1982 context.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #34
          oh- and the ADAM expansion module for the Colecovision used cassette tapes for its games. Buck Rogers was SO awesome!
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #35
            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
            What if I have played other games from its era and it clearly sucks in comparison?
            you are too young to be involved in this discussion.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #36
              Originally posted by Commando View Post
              I know this.. but at the time know that a lot of these games that seemed fun back then were fun because they were graphic marvels. My friend had an Atari 2600, which was fun, but seemed sucky compared to our ColecoVision. Given a choice between a technically superior Atari game (like Tanks or Pitfall) and Smurfs, it was a wash b/c of the graphics component. Now, in the midst of the games we have now, comparing two games from that era loses that 1982 context.
              the coleco games that blew me away were Donkey Kong and Zaxxon.

              Both of them looked exactly like they look in the arcade.

              In fact, that WAS the gold standard in gaming. Does the home version look "exactly like it looks in the arcade?"

              I never liked the coleco controllers, but I loved the graphics. It was a huge step forward from the 2600 and the Intellivision.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14094

                #37
                We were the only people in the entire world that had this gaming system. It was actually cool, but I wanted an Atari cause all my friends had one. I was a little pissed off that dad went out to get the Atari and came back with this:

                [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Astrocade[/ame]



                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • Flystripper
                  Degenerate Gambler
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14094

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  We were the only people in the entire world that had this gaming system. It was actually cool, but I wanted an Atari cause all my friends had one. I was a little pissed off that dad went out to get the Atari and came back with this:





                  The controllers were awesome. They felt like a handgun complete with grip and trigger. There was a little joystick on top top control movement. I though it was by far the best controller of the era.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #39
                    [YOUTUBE]HPrmN35zGLw[/YOUTUBE]

                    That is one epic explosion.

                    Comment

                    • Fiyero
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5266

                      #40
                      In lieu of an Atari, my parents bought this, which came with a Pac-Man imitation called Mouse Trap:

                      Comment

                      • Flystripper
                        Degenerate Gambler
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14094

                        #41
                        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                        [YOUTUBE]HPrmN35zGLw[/YOUTUBE]

                        That is one epic explosion.
                        YES!!! I had that game and that explosion was AWESOME!
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                          In lieu of an Atari, my parents bought this, which came with a Pac-Man imitation called Mouse Trap:

                          We had a real Pong machine.

                          But when Atari came out, my mom went to Sears and bought the "generic" Atari 2600. It was called "Video Arcade." It was the same machine, but with faux wooden paneling.

                          When intellivision came out, we went back to Sears and bought the generic. "Super Video Arcade."
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #43
                            I never had an Atari. In fact I remember my parents bought an Atari 2600 system for my less fortunate cousins one Christmas and being insanely jealous. But we weren't without. We had the TI 99/4A. My favorite game on it was Buck Rogers. Anybody remember this system? It was like PC and game console in one. You had cartridges for word processing and Donkey Kong.



                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #44
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              the coleco games that blew me away were Donkey Kong and Zaxxon.

                              Both of them looked exactly like they look in the arcade.

                              In fact, that WAS the gold standard in gaming. Does the home version look "exactly like it looks in the arcade?"

                              I never liked the coleco controllers, but I loved the graphics. It was a huge step forward from the 2600 and the Intellivision.
                              yeah I played Donkey Kong until the cows came home. I always found Zaxxon to be extremely hard, though... especially when I faced that droid that fired the missile. I could never hit the missile before it killed me.

                              The control was awesome for Mousetrap, though with the little plastic insert over the number pad that was color coded for the doors and turning into a dog.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #45
                                HOLLERRRR!

                                [YOUTUBE]XrbbN2vRESk[/YOUTUBE]
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...