The Play Tape

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #1

    The Play Tape

    Some of my guy friends and I created a magical cassette tape called "The Play Tape." It was inspired by Gene R. Cooke's encounter with Mick Jagger when Jagger allegedly claimed that his music has been 'calculated' to drive teenagers to sex. So my friends and I created a mix tape that we believed was 'calculated' to make women make out with us. It was holy item among us, and as any weekend approached, we would discuss then decide who among us had plans that were worthy of "The Play Tape." The mix included at least two songs by U2, including With or Without You and Running to Stand Still. Also, the tape worked.

    So here is my question to everyone here --

    What songs would you all put on a Play Tape today?
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #2
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Some of my guy friends and I created a magical cassette tape called "The Play Tape." It was inspired by Gene R. Cooke's encounter with Mick Jagger when Jagger allegedly claimed that his music has been 'calculated' to drive teenagers to sex. So my friends and I created a mix tape that we believed was 'calculated' to make women make out with us. It was holy item among us, and as any weekend approached, we would discuss then decide who among us had plans that were worthy of "The Play Tape." The mix included at least two songs by U2, including With or Without You and Running to Stand Still. Also, the tape worked.

    So here is my question to everyone here --

    What songs would you all put on a Play Tape today?
    In high School it was "Somebody" by Depeche Mode.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #3
      You mean aside from I Wanna Sex You Up?

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #4
        Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
        In high School it was "Somebody" by Depeche Mode.
        This song was also on the original Play Tape.

        But I'm sort of curious about what would go on a Play Tape TODAY. What would be 'calculated' to drive our contemporary teenagers to 'play?'

        Comment

        • Babs
          Not a Lawyer
          • Nov 2008
          • 17128

          #5
          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
          This song was also on the original Play Tape.

          But I'm sort of curious about what would go on a Play Tape TODAY. What would be 'calculated' to drive our contemporary teenagers to 'play?'
          Other than kissing girls and sucking without U, I have no idea what teenagers listen to.

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #6
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Other than kissing girls and sucking without U, I have no idea what teenagers listen to.
            WTH?

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #7
              Originally posted by Babs View Post
              Other than kissing girls and sucking without U, I have no idea what teenagers listen to.
              Hmmmm.... good point. How about a Play Tape for single thirty-somethings?

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                My Play Tape in college was simple, but surprisingly effective. A continuous loop of 3 songs:

                1. "Short People" by Randy Newman
                2. Cooley High (Theme from "What's Happening")
                3. Roll Out the Barrel

                Don't knock it till you try it, gents.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #9
                  Robin, it would probably have a James Blunt song.

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #10
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Robin, it would probably have a James Blunt song.
                    Without a doubt.
                    [YOUTUBE]e-nuu5N32cE[/YOUTUBE]

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #11
                      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      WTH?
                      What? You don't like Kelly and Katy?

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        My Play Tape in college was simple, but surprisingly effective. A continuous loop of 3 songs:

                        1. "Short People" by Randy Newman
                        2. Cooley High (Theme from "What's Happening")
                        3. Roll Out the Barrel

                        Don't knock it till you try it, gents.
                        I think you have crossed the line yet again. Short people are just the same as you and I (even a fool such as I), all men a brothers until the day they die. Its a wonderful world.

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          What? You don't like Kelly and Katy?
                          I like Katy. Meow.

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Babs View Post
                            What? You don't like Kelly and Katy?
                            This one is going way over my head. I really don't know what you're talking about.

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #15
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              This one is going way over my head. I really don't know what you're talking about.
                              Katy Perry sings "I Kissed a Girl" and Kelly Clarkson sings "My Life Would Suck Without You." Both recent hits.

                              Comment

                              Working...