Louie

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #31
    I think I mentioned in another thread how great this show is; I was a little late to the party is all. I'm back on the wagon for season 4 after binge watching the other seasons last year over and over and over. His SNL appearance was awesome, as well, in which he appears as a BYU professor of African American studies on Black Jeopardy.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • UVACoug
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2013
      • 2685

      #32
      Last night's episode was one of the best episodes of television I have seen. Those of you who aren't following this show yet should check it out. It is self-contained so you don't need any prior knowledge.

      Comment

      • CardiacCoug
        вот так штука
        • Nov 2008
        • 11013

        #33
        Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        Last night's episode was one of the best episodes of television I have seen. Those of you who aren't following this show yet should check it out. It is self-contained so you don't need any prior knowledge.
        Yep that was good -- loved the Jeremy Renner role.

        Comment

        • UVACoug
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 2685

          #34
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Yep that was good -- loved the Jeremy Renner role.
          Renner was great ... so was the kid who played young Louie. The episode was dedicated to Philip Seymour Hoffman, and apparently Hoffman was slated to play the teacher role before he died (the teacher's name in the episode was Mr. Hoffman). I think the guy that played the teacher did a terrific job, but I am really disappointed we didn't get to see PSH in that role. I'm sure he would have been perfect, as he was in almost everything.

          Comment

          • Donuthole
            Official Outgayer
            • Nov 2008
            • 25273

            #35
            Finally got a chance to watch last week's ep. That was some seriously good TV.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25273

              #36
              Here's an interesting write-up by Greenwald on Louie's 4th season. Such entertaining television, and yet half the time I find myself asking "What am I watching? What is this show trying to do?" I think Greenwald nails it:

              Last year on my podcast I spoke to Jeff Garlin about his career — he was working the clubs a decade before Louis C.K. got started — and the way he described stand-up comedy stuck with me. To hear Garlin tell it, the trick to stand-up isn’t so much about learning how to be funny. It’s about learning how to fail. The most you can hope for, he told me, was eventually to fail better. To me, this is the beauty of Louie: It’s a shuffling, stumbling, proudly digressive study of one man’s repeated attempts to fail better. That’s why the most resonant moments of the show are often the messiest: Louie’s volcanic anger when Jane hops off the subway unexpectedly, Amia smashing plates in her aunt’s kitchen, or the way Hurricane Jasmine Forsythe was a silly joke for the first five chapters of the beautiful “Elevator” story line before crashing into the frame as a terrifying threat in the sixth. (This wasn’t sloppiness; this was real life. For many, Superstorm Sandy was a Twitter punch line right up until the moment the power went out in lower Manhattan.)
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • Non Sequitur
                Where did I put my bodkin
                • Nov 2008
                • 5773

                #37
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Here's an interesting write-up by Greenwald on Louie's 4th season. Such entertaining television, and yet half the time I find myself asking "What am I watching? What is this show trying to do?" I think Greenwald nails it:



                http://grantland.com/features/louie-...t-controversy/
                I love Louie. It strips away all the veneer. That last scene where he self-consciously gets in the tub was brutally honest...something you never see on TV. Funny, yet horrific.
                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                  I love Louie. It strips away all the veneer. That last scene where he self-consciously gets in the tub was brutally honest...something you never see on TV. Funny, yet horrific.
                  To be brutally honest, I'm really glad we don't see things like the bathtub scene very often on TV.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69743

                    #39
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    To be brutally honest, I'm really glad we don't see things like the bathtub scene very often on TV.
                    Whoa. That is some brutal honesty.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    Working...