Louie

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #1

    Louie

    I'm a big Louis C.K. fan. I thought his HBO show (2006) was interesting, but not that great. It didn't last long. His NEW show on FX, Louie, is pretty great. First episode was good, but there is a scene at the very beginning of the second episode that was pretty amazing. He is playing poker in a room of other comics. Only one of them is gay. Louie asks the gay friend whether it bothers him when he uses the word 'fagot' on stage. The friend explains to Louie the (alleged) origin of the word, as a pejorative for gay people. It was a great scene, and it looks like there will be many more to come. It is quite edgy, and pushes some boundaries for basic cable, with swearing and very salty talk, but it is very good so far. Check it out.
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #2
    Ricky Gervais was great in it. I also really like how he is using so many comics instead of actors. The poker table scene was great.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • Jacob
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 6801

      #3
      I didn't find the show very funny and too slow paced. I agree with several of the comics on the show that the gay guy talking about gay sex was repulsive. And the phoney claim about the origin of faggot was lame.
      Then in the Oberlin episode I watched Louie doesn't do mug the entire episode until he starts making out with an old fat lady at the end. Was that supposed to be funny? Maybe not.

      Comment

      • BoylenOver
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 9146

        #4
        FX has a strong comedic track record. "It's Always Sunny", "Archer", "The League", and now this.

        I'll have to get caught up this weekend.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

        Comment

        • RobinFinderson
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 10548

          #5
          Originally posted by Jacob View Post
          I didn't find the show very funny and too slow paced. I agree with several of the comics on the show that the gay guy talking about gay sex was repulsive. And the phoney claim about the origin of faggot was lame.
          Then in the Oberlin episode I watched Louie doesn't do mug the entire episode until he starts making out with an old fat lady at the end. Was that supposed to be funny? Maybe not.
          I don't think there is a definitive etymology for the word 'faggot,' but Google tells me that the version featured in Louie is widely believed, and thus not without meaning. I think that much of Louie is supposed to be painfully funny. He explores his own loser-ship, like a non-Jewish Woody Allen, and it is often painful to watch, like Ricky Gervais in the original Office. Neither Allen nor Gervais are comedians with universal appeal, but they strike a sweet spot for many of us. Louie does that for me. Yes, I thought the juxtaposition of his Facebook fantasies, followed by his confrontation with the real old/fat woman leading up to making out(sex?), followed by his comedic musings on the thin social leash that keeps him from exploring bestiality was genius... and comically fresh. Louie's best attribute is that in a universe of comedic sameness, C.K. shines as one of the most original.
          Last edited by RobinFinderson; 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM.

          Comment

          • Jacob
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 6801

            #6
            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            I don't think there is a definitive etymology for the word 'faggot,' but Google tells me that the version featured in Louie is widely believed, and thus not without meaning. I think that much of Louie is supposed to be painfully funny. He explores his own loser-ship, like a non-Jewish Woody Allen, and it is often painful to watch, like Ricky Gervais in the original Office. Neither Allen nor Gervais are comedians with universal appeal, but they strike a sweet spot for many of us. Louie does that for me. Yes, I thought the juxtaposition of his Facebook fantasies, followed by his confrontation with the real old/fat woman leading up to making out(sex?), followed by his comedic musings on the thin social leash that keeps him from exploring bestiality was genius... and comically fresh. Louie's best attribute is that universe of comedic sameness, C.K. shines as one of the most original.
            Ah yes. That bestiality bit. I don't find bestiality jokes funny either, but probably a lot closer to funny than to genius.

            And I have no idea what you mean by that bolded sentence.

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #7
              Originally posted by Jacob View Post
              Ah yes. That bestiality bit. I don't find bestiality jokes funny either, but probably a lot closer to funny than to genius.

              And I have no idea what you mean by that bolded sentence.
              I left out a couple of words:

              Louie's best attribute is that in a universe of comedic sameness, C.K. shines as one of the most original.
              Anyhow, I can see very well that the show isn't going to be for everyone, and I guess it isn't for you. I won't try to convince you of its awesomeness. You are not a lesser person, or lacking sophistication just because you don't like Louie. Some might disagree with me here, but I don't think that liking Louie is requisite to having a decent sense of humor.

              Comment

              • Jacob
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 6801

                #8
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                I left out a couple of words:



                Anyhow, I can see very well that the show isn't going to be for everyone, and I guess it isn't for you. I won't try to convince you of its awesomeness. You are not a lesser person, or lacking sophistication just because you don't like Louie. Some might disagree with me here, but I don't think that liking Louie is requisite to having a decent sense of humor.
                Yes, it's a matter of personal preference. And don't worry. I wasn't going to feel any lack of sophistication because I don't find bestiality and sodomy jokes funny.

                Comment

                • Non Sequitur
                  Where did I put my bodkin
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5773

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                  I wasn't going to feel any lack of sophistication because I don't find bestiality and sodomy jokes funny.
                  "A priest, a donkey and a gay guy walk into a bar.."
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    Yes, it's a matter of personal preference. And don't worry. I wasn't going to feel any lack of sophistication because I don't find bestiality and sodomy jokes funny.
                    Just as long as you know that MANY MANY PEOPLE would find you lacking in sophistication because you don't like this show, but I AM NOT ONE OF THEM, that is all you need to know.

                    Comment

                    • Jacob
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 6801

                      #11
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      Just as long as you know that MANY MANY PEOPLE would find you lacking in sophistication because you don't like this show, but I AM NOT ONE OF THEM, that is all you need to know.
                      The part about you not thinking less of me doesn't really make me feel any better. Nor does the part about MANY MANY people thinking less of me make me feel worse.

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #12
                        I'll chime in here just to say that I'm enjoying the show too. My wife and I saw Louis C.K. at Wiseguys in Ogden last year and it was the funniest stand-up show I've ever seen. Check out some of his comedy specials if you think his stuff might be up your alley.
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • BoylenOver
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 9146

                          #13
                          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                          You are not a lesser person, or lacking sophistication just because you don't like Louie. Some might disagree with me here, but I don't think that liking Louie is requisite to having a decent sense of humor.
                          I don't disagree, but I would hope that even casual fans of stand-up recognize him as being among the best currently performing.
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                          Comment

                          • RobinFinderson
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10548

                            #14
                            I just noticed that the original music written for the show is by Reggie Watts, a friend from high school.

                            Reggie Watts rocks:

                            [YOUTUBE]344OpaQCAQI[/YOUTUBE]

                            The dude is a genius. Composes most of his music on the spot. Check out his other stuff on YouTube, but be warned, much is NSFW.

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #15
                              i caught the first two episodes on hulu, and loved them.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              Working...