No announcement yet.

The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans of RPGs...looks like Bethesda has done it again. Word is that Elder Scrolls V is amazing. The trailers for it look really cool. I would love to get my hands on a test copy.

[YOUTUBE]JSRtYpNRoN0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oJQXpRyugzE[/YOUTUBE]

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      We bought Wii Lego Batman for my daughter for Easter. I guess she played it recently at a birthday party and has been talking about it ever since. I'll admit, I think I'm as excited as she is to play it.

Are any of the other Lego games fun? I noticed Star Wars and Indiana Jones 1 and 2 are both available for pretty cheap. The Star Wars looks to be a different one than I've played with my nephews on GameCube a few times.
      get all of them. they are awesome. Buy the STar Wars version that has all the episodes on one disc. The Indy ones are cool, too.

Lego Rock Band is not as cool, imo. It is just another iteration of rock band.

The puffy check love playing the lego vids and I love playing with them.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        get all of them. they are awesome. Buy the STar Wars version that has all the episodes on one disc. The Indy ones are cool, too.

Lego Rock Band is not as cool, imo. It is just another iteration of rock band.

The puffy check love playing the lego vids and I love playing with them.
        Good to know, thanks. The Star Wars I'm looking at is the "Complete Saga" so i'm guessing that's the one you're referring to. Are there other lego action games besides Star Wars, Indy, Batman, and Harry Potter?
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Good to know, thanks. The Star Wars I'm looking at is the "Complete Saga" so i'm guessing that's the one you're referring to. Are there other lego action games besides Star Wars, Indy, Batman, and Harry Potter?
          I think those are the main ones for console. Complete Saga is the one with all the episodes. The Indy 1 and 2 are fun. Batman is great. Harry Potter is probably the most "complex" of all the console versions because there are more game play features at the character level (the ability to cast spells, mix and use potions, etc). All told, you will literally have hundreds of hours of entertainment if you pick up all the Lego games, esp if you like to complete all the achievements, find all minikits, red bricks, etc.

In addition to console stuff, Lego launched its subscription-based MMO recently (Universe) but it has received mixed technical reviews for various reasons. I think it will be ok over the long haul but needs to be tweaked here and there first.

The IOS version of Lego HP is really cool, looks great on an iPad and only costs a few bucks to play. The game play itself is slightly different from the console storyline, so you don't feel as though you are playing the exact same game.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost

..., are young fathers like me (like you?)...
            Rus, how long can we continue to claim this? I have the big 4-0 coming up in a few months, but maintain I am still a 'young father' because my kids are young (youngest are 5).

My thoughts on Dead Island:

1) it looks AWESOME. I can't wait to buy it!

2) My kids can't be allowed to even SEE it, let alone play it, until they are at least 15 or so.

3) My wife probably shouldn't see it either. This is a problem.

Maybe I will be better off bringing it over to your house to play it.

Comment

• The Lego games are mostly awesome. My kids absolutely love the Star Wars Complete Saga, and a few weeks ago got into the Clone Wars game. Clone Wars doesn't have as much content as the other game, but it is still fun.

The 5 year-olds can't/won't get into Batman or Indiana Jones. I don't know why, becase they are vey fun games. My oldest has finished all levels on all these games on his DSi, so he talks them down to the twins. Too bad, too, because Batman is great. I am a HUGE Batman fan because he didn't have any super powers, just his own training and tools, so maybe that factors into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                I really want it. Still debating whether to get it for PC or Xbox. The co-op with my son on the xbox would be really fun and supposed to be better than the single player campaign.
                For those that have PS3 you play co-op over steam so you can play PS3 with PC or Mac. And I believe you get a PC key when you buy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  For those that have PS3 you play co-op over steam so you can play PS3 with PC or Mac. And I believe you get a PC key when you buy it.
                  I've read that the campaign is really short, so I'm planning on picking up the ps3 or 360 version on ksl in a weak or so. A pc key with the ps3 version may convince me to buy new if that's the case.

Comment

• I finally got over my cheap nature and bought an xbox 360 this week. Without reading through the entire thread, any advice on games that I should get? I hate first person shooter games, so you can leave those off the list. I suck at them and they give me headaches.

I picked up NBA 2K11 (my main reason for getting the system) and Mass Effect. I'll probably get NCAA 2011 when NCAA 2012 comes out and it goes down in price or you can get a used copy cheap. I just can't justify paying full price for any game.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• if you ahven't gamed in a while, you're probably going to want to adjust the difficulty sliders on nba 2k11. the defaults are pretty tough.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
                        if you ahven't gamed in a while, you're probably going to want to adjust the difficulty sliders on nba 2k11. the defaults are pretty tough.
                        Oh it is hell right now trying to get the hang of it, but it is a lot of fun and easily the most realistic basketball game I've ever played.

I've always loved the 2K sports titles going back to the Dreamcast. I still think the NFL2K series is much better than any of the Madden games.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                          I finally got over my cheap nature and bought an xbox 360 this week. Without reading through the entire thread, any advice on games that I should get? I hate first person shooter games, so you can leave those off the list. I suck at them and they give me headaches.

I picked up NBA 2K11 (my main reason for getting the system) and Mass Effect. I'll probably get NCAA 2011 when NCAA 2012 comes out and it goes down in price or you can get a used copy cheap. I just can't justify paying full price for any game.
                          What sorts of games do you like? You nixed FPS. You seem to like sports games and RPGs.

Mass Effect is a fantastic series. Start with the first one and then move forward.

Other RPGs that you might enjoy: Oblivion and Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas (both previous GOTY winners).

I am no help with sports video games as I don't play them.

The Lego ones are really a lot of fun although your unborn baby is probably unable to hold a controller just yet. They are still fun for adults.

sigpic

Comment

FYI, there is a new Lego out...Star Wars Clone Wars. More of the same...lots of fun for kids and adults.

Also, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean coming out soon!

sigpic

Comment

FYI, there is a new Lego out...Star Wars Clone Wars. More of the same...lots of fun for kids and adults.

Also, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean coming out soon!
                              We have been having a blast with Lego Batman. Seriously, every day I come home from work and my daughter practically greets me at the door with the game controllers.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

What sorts of games do you like? You nixed FPS. You seem to like sports games and RPGs.

Mass Effect is a fantastic series. Start with the first one and then move forward.

Other RPGs that you might enjoy: Oblivion and Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas (both previous GOTY winners).

I am no help with sports video games as I don't play them.

The Lego ones are really a lot of fun although your unborn baby is probably unable to hold a controller just yet. They are still fun for adults.
                                Sports game and RPGs are the games that I like the most. I also do really enjoy a good platformer or games like GTA/Infamous. I may check out Fallout 3. I also may pick-up Lego Harry Potter for the wife and the kid when he can hold the controller.

I ended up settling in on the Xbox360 because I liked the controller better for sports games. Price was also a factor but less of a factor. I also talked to a few people that had both and a lot of those people tended to play the 360 more. I will say I was a little disappointed not being able to play Infamous or Infamous 2 by going to the 360, but overall I thought it was the better choice.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X