Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69744

    #1336
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    I agree here. It's not the Walt that *ahem* others were projecting was going to kill Skyler.
    lol. Yeah, this Walt that arranges to have Jesse executed and uses his girlfriend and son to lure him to his death; he's like a big lovable teddy bear!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Tim
      Not Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 4390

      #1337
      Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
      You could be right, but he loses something. Maybe it's his family. We know from one of the flash forwards that something bad happens at his house and that his neighbor is freaked out to see him (interesting bit of trivia...Walt's next door neighbor is played by Vince Gilligan's mom). Either way, I'm convinced some bad stuff is going to go down next week.
      I still think her reaction was one of surprise, not fear. As in, "I thought this guy was dead but he's now standing in front of me!"
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #1338
        Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I still think her reaction was one of surprise, not fear. As in, "I thought this guy was dead but he's now standing in front of me!"
        A really nice juxtaposition is the earlier scene with Walt watching the neighbor from afar while she checks his house. In the flash forward with the neighbor, the facade is completely gone...he doesn't care and he has nothing to lose. It's the kind of thing I love about the writing in this show, the way everything ties together.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • woot
          Resident Science Cop
          • Nov 2008
          • 5531

          #1339
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          I think they realized that their asset (Walt) was in trouble and they wanted to protect him. They need him to teach Todd. Once they get there and see he's in custody, they decide to go take care of that problem.
          That would make sense if we assume that they know they're dealing with fake physics, but Walt really should be dead after they shot up the car he's sitting in. I'll be disappointed if that's what we're supposed to believe.

          Comment

          • UVACoug
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2013
            • 2685

            #1340
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            That's funny, I remember thinking last night for the first time that I've completely left Walt's side.
            Yep. It was quite satisfying to see him on his knees with handcuffs on. I cheered when Jesse spit in his face.

            Comment

            • UVACoug
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 2685

              #1341
              Originally posted by woot View Post
              That would make sense if we assume that they know they're dealing with fake physics, but Walt really should be dead after they shot up the car he's sitting in. I'll be disappointed if that's what we're supposed to believe.
              Were we also supposed to believe a guy with his face blown off could walk out of a hospital room and adjust his tie before keeling over and dying? It's a freaking TV show, not a documentary. Ever heard of suspension of disbelief?
              Last edited by UVACoug; 09-10-2013, 06:42 AM.

              Comment

              • jay santos
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 13652

                #1342
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                lol. Yeah, this Walt that arranges to have Jesse executed and uses his girlfriend and son to lure him to his death; he's like a big lovable teddy bear!
                Come on. You guys have to admit you were a little wrong on this. Walt's made several moral choices at the detriment of his own self interest. Meanwhile other characters, Hank, Skylar, etc are making immoral decisions. This is not to say Walt's a good guy.

                Comment

                • UVACoug
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 2685

                  #1343
                  Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Come on. You guys have to admit you were a little wrong on this. Walt's made several moral choices at the detriment of his own self interest. Meanwhile other characters, Hank, Skylar, etc are making immoral decisions. This is not to say Walt's a good guy.
                  Wrong on what? I don't think anyone has ever argued Walt is pure evil. And there is a big difference between having a disregard for someone's life and shooting a defenseless person for no good reason at all.

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #1344
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    Come on. You guys have to admit you were a little wrong on this. Walt's made several moral choices at the detriment of his own self interest. Meanwhile other characters, Hank, Skylar, etc are making immoral decisions. This is not to say Walt's a good guy.
                    But Gilligan said in an interview that he can't believe some of us still don't completely hate Walt! As he portrays Walt locked in a car after giving himself up, desperately trying to stop his brother-in-law, who detests him, from being killed.

                    Stirring the pot. Masterfully.

                    My character barometer after the last episode:
                    1) Walt - up. Yes, he called the hit on Jesse, but reluctantly. The "coward" comment was definitely out of line, but outside of that, he's regressing to the clumsy and less coldblooded version from earlier seasons.
                    2) Jesse - down, just a hair. Can't blame him, but I'm actually a little bugged at the betrayal. Just a little. Still one of the moral centers on the show.
                    3) Hank - same. I'm not as down on Hank as some. Sure, he's using Jesse, but let's remember that in his eyes, Jesse was part of this whole deal, and responsible for the deaths of a lot of people. Was clearheaded and smart through this episode. Didn't do anything out of line when he arrested Walt.
                    4) Marie - up. She's turning into the other moral center of the show. She and Jesse are the two great ironies right now.
                    5) Skyler/Saul - uneventful
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • sparky
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 158

                      #1345
                      Aaron Paul is hosting a showing of bb at the Egyptian in Boise this Sunday. Anyone got tickets to share?

                      Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69744

                        #1346
                        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        But Gilligan said in an interview that he can't believe some of us still don't completely hate Walt! As he portrays Walt locked in a car after giving himself up, desperately trying to stop his brother-in-law, who detests him, from being killed.

                        Stirring the pot. Masterfully.
                        That was a nice plot twist. Totally out of character for Walt, but it made the episode ending (which you could see coming from ten miles away) a little more interesting.

                        I love how Walt is such a good guy because of that one moment. Oh yeah, he didn't want Jesse to suffer much when his Nazi friends murdered him as he came to rescue his gf and her little boy. So touching it almost brought a tear to my eye.

                        How come nobody (besides a slight nod from Jay) is turning on Jesse for ratting out our noble hero?

                        And why the Hank hate? That bit with the phone calls and the fake money shot was brilliant. Exactly the kind of genius that Walt typically employs.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Pheidippides
                          Liberal Feminazi
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14759

                          #1347
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That was a nice plot twist. Totally out of character for Walt, but it made the episode ending (which you could see coming from ten miles away) a little more interesting.

                          I love how Walt is such a good guy because of that one moment. Oh yeah, he didn't want Jesse to suffer much when his Nazi friends murdered him as he came to rescue his gf and her little boy. So touching it almost brought a tear to my eye.

                          How come nobody (besides a slight nod from Jay) is turning on Jesse for ratting out our noble hero?

                          And why the Hank hate? That bit with the phone calls and the fake money shot was brilliant. Exactly the kind of genius that Walt typically employs.
                          Which I think was the exact point: Walt, captain brainiac himself, was outthought by Meathead Hank and Jesse the Druggie. And it was Walt losing it and going full-on emotional.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69744

                            #1348
                            Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                            Which I think was the exact point: Walt, captain brainiac himself, was outthought by Meathead Hank and Jesse the Druggie. And it was Walt losing it and going full-on emotional.
                            Yep.

                            One thing that was odd about that episode is how much time they spent on the part where Walt went to the girlfriend's house just to have Hank take the call and blow it off in two seconds. I mean, I get it that it supports the role reversal theme of the episode, it just surprised me how much time they spent on that one part.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #1349
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              That was a nice plot twist. Totally out of character for Walt, but it made the episode ending (which you could see coming from ten miles away) a little more interesting.
                              Amazing how you could see an ending they were deliberately hanging out there coming from ten miles away! haha.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69744

                                #1350
                                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                Amazing how you could see an ending they were deliberately hanging out there coming from ten miles away! haha.
                                Sure. I am just saying that Walt cheering on his rescuers would have been less interesting than the way it was done.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...