Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #1201
    Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    I didn't like Natural Born Killers either, but not because there were no sympathetic characters. It was because there were no interesting characters. I remember the movie Kalifornia. Not a great movie but Brad Pitt was fantastic in it. He was a vile character that wasn't the least bit sympathetic, but he was fascinating. Kind of like the shark in jaws. Not the least bit sympathetic, but you can't help but admire how bad-ass it is.
    Hmm. Interesting take. I have had this experience, too; take Pulp Fiction. Now the protagonist role is kind of done in shifts due to the non-sequitur () nature of the movie. Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, and Bruce Willis' respective characters are all pretty reprehensible, but we submerge into the plot and tag along for a second because we still identify with them in some small way. Quentin Tarantino is a master of humanizing his scary or morally bankrupt characters through witty dialogue and by arguing about foot rubs, dancing in a 50s themed diner on a date, or relishing a fast food shake or 'tasty burger.' Was I hurt when Travolta gets shot up? Not in the least, because it wasn't out-of-character comeuppance for a hitman if that makes sense. That doesn't mean he wasn't a sympathetic character or I didn't relate to him, but he was still a hitman that got shot- bfd. Bringing it back to BB, if Walt gets hurt or shot, it will sting a bit more because we've taken this journey with him and, while he was certainly way more sympathetic than Vincent Vega, it will be comeuppance. Even if you don't think Walt is redeemable, which is obviously very debatable since it's being widely debated even here, he's still very very human. If it was otherwise the show would not be very popular.
    Last edited by Commando; 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • Flystripper
      Degenerate Gambler
      • Nov 2008
      • 14094

      #1202
      I don't know if we have talked about this, but I predict the Saul spinoff is going to suck.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69716

        #1203
        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        I don't know if we have talked about this, but I predict the Saul spinoff is going to suck.
        Couldn't agree more. I think that is a terrible idea.

        I hope I am wrong.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • UVACoug
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 2685

          #1204
          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          A couple scenes that show clumsy vs bad ass and what I love about Walt

          1. In the "say my name" scene, Walt has it all planned out. He's thought through everything five moves in advance like a chess match, and he's got it all covered. It goes exactly the way he wants. He starts out bluffing a little, he's never been in this situation, and he thinks he's covered all the angles but he doesn't know for sure till it happens, but as things unfold and he realizes he's nailed it, he starts to get a little cocky and improvises with the "say my name". You take that journey with Walt from the uneasiness to the payoff. Nothing about it is necessarily good or virtuous, but the writing and acting is so compelling that you just have to celebrate with Walt when he nails it.

          2. In the scene where he sends Mike to Belize. He goes in with a plan and it goes bad. Mike doesn't respond how he wants him to. Walt doesn't know what to do. He panics. He gets angry. He kills Mike, but the whole thing is done clumsily and unprofessional. As a viewer, you're relating to him and sympathizing with him, but you're saying "no oh no don't do this no Walt", but it's real and when it's done you're thinking "oh shit that sucked ok bounce back now what do we do?" He's totally not the bad ass Godfather type in this scene. So human and so sympathetic.
          Ummm ... no.

          Comment

          • scottie
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 5247

            #1205


            U.S. viewers from season 1 thru 5a was about 1-2.5 mill per episode, 5b has been ~5 mill per; I wonder if that was part of the strategy for the long gap between 5a and b -- people catching up on Netflix!

            Comment

            • Commando
              Explosivo
              • Feb 2009
              • 20748

              #1206
              Originally posted by scottie View Post
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...g_Bad_episodes

              U.S. viewers from season 1 thru 5a was about 1-2.5 mill per episode, 5b has been ~5 mill per; I wonder if that was part of the strategy for the long gap between 5a and b -- people catching up on Netflix!
              There are um... interesting people who just started watching now.

              *and by now I mean 5b without catching up.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

              Comment

              • Tim
                Not Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 4390

                #1207
                Originally posted by Commando View Post
                There are um... interesting people who just started watching now.

                *and by now I mean 5b without catching up.
                I'd imagine those numbers only refer to TV viewership, not streaming views.
                Visca Catalunya Lliure

                Comment

                • Art Vandelay
                  Striving for mediocrity
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10516

                  #1208
                  I hadn't given it much thought until someone mentioned it above in one of their endgame theories; but I'm curious how Junior finds out where his car, and limitless supply of breakfast cereal came from. It has to come from either Jesse or Marie. He will undoubtedly flash his hurt, puppy-dog eyes while asking, then yelling, "Is it true, dad?"

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #1209
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    I hadn't given it much thought until someone mentioned it above in one of their endgame theories; but I'm curious how Junior finds out where his car, and limitless supply of breakfast cereal came from. It has to come from either Jesse or Marie. He will undoubtedly flash his hurt, puppy-dog eyes while asking, then yelling, "Is it true, dad?"
                    My favorite prediction yet.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69716

                      #1210
                      Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      My favorite prediction yet.
                      Ha. That was funny. Nicely done, AV.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #1211
                        To me Jr. has been by far the weakest link in the show. Between the gratuitous handicap part, and his poor acting, the character was all but written out by season 4.
                        And... I can't even tell you the babies name.

                        Comment

                        • UVACoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 2685

                          #1212
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          To me Jr. has been by far the weakest link in the show. Between the gratuitous handicap part, and his poor acting, the character was all but written out by season 4.
                          And... I can't even tell you the babies name.
                          He's really pretty bad. I think killing him would be a great way to memorialize him though ... finally give him something meaningful to do. I can see it happening. I think Walt loses everything before the end, including his wife and kids.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37987

                            #1213
                            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            To me Jr. has been by far the weakest link in the show. Between the gratuitous handicap part, and his poor acting, the character was all but written out by season 4.
                            And... I can't even tell you the babies name.
                            You know the kid is actually handicapped though, right?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #1214
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              You know the kid is actually handicapped though, right?
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • clackamascoug
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9709

                                #1215
                                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                You know the kid is actually handicapped though, right?
                                Everyone is handicapped in their own way. Do you know that RJ Mitte doesn't use crutches in real life? He had to learn to use the crutches and slur his speech on purpose. He's got a mild form of CP and is acting handicapped for the part. But that's not the point.

                                Gilligan in his effort to make WW look sympathetic from the beginning took the easy route by playing the Cancer Card and the Handicapped Kid Card, and then having Walter do what he did under the pretense of "for the family." My point is that I thought the Junior role was by far the weakest of the series, and they pushed him to the curb as much as possible because of it.

                                Comment

                                Working...