Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69705

    #1081
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Anna Gunn doesn't like how the Internets feel about Skylar:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/op...sue.html?_r=2&

    Kind of a counter-productive article Anna.
    I think she is right on the money. I can't believe how many people were furious with her in earlier seasons because she would stand by Walt.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Art Vandelay
      Striving for mediocrity
      • Jul 2009
      • 10516

      #1082
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I think she is right on the money. I can't believe how many people were furious with her in earlier seasons because she would stand by Walt.
      I was fine with her while she was pregnant, and making Flynn one of his 6 meals of the day. But when she put on some shoes, and went back to work, that is what I thought her sass was way out of line.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #1083
        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        I was fine with her while she was pregnant, and making Flynn one of his 6 meals of the day. But when she put on some shoes, and went back to work, that is what I thought her sass was way out of line.
        Agreed. She's the one person who can push back on Walt, the one person to whom Walt can't convincingly lie ("uh, the soda door doesn't work, so let me go get my frozen gun"), and the one practical person in the family. But she opposed the protagonist. I remember thinking she was pretty cool when she came up with the gambling story, but then IFT came along and not so much. She's the true companion to Walt now, and was just as complicit in that confession (how awesome was the scene of Hank and Marie viewing it?!?) as Walt.

        Actual hate against the Anna Gunn as an actress is uncalled for, though. I'd think the reverse is true - she's portrayed this character so well that it evokes an emotional reaction. This ain't Paris Hilton acting here.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69705

          #1084
          Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
          Agreed. She's the one person who can push back on Walt, the one person to whom Walt can't convincingly lie ("uh, the soda door doesn't work, so let me go get my frozen gun"), and the one practical person in the family. But she opposed the protagonist. I remember thinking she was pretty cool when she came up with the gambling story, but then IFT came along and not so much. She's the true companion to Walt now, and was just as complicit in that confession (how awesome was the scene of Hank and Marie viewing it?!?) as Walt.
          A brilliant scene. The acting from Walt made the video extremely convincing. Hard to imagine a real-life Mr. White could pull that off, but it was still a great scene.

          Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
          Actual hate against the Anna Gunn as an actress is uncalled for, though. I'd think the reverse is true - she's portrayed this character so well that it evokes an emotional reaction. This ain't Paris Hilton acting here.
          Well said. Even if you hate the character, you have to admire the acting.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • RC Vikings
            Known Heterosexual
            • Nov 2008
            • 8789

            #1085
            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            Is there anything behind - "please hand this to your carwash professional, and have an A-1 Day?" They've used that line a lot, and I'm just wondering if there is anything behind it.
            This made me laugh, in spite of all the stuff going on around him he still delivers this line at the car wash like I'm sure they have pounded into their employees to give. The writers have done a great job of throwing in a little humor in an otherwise very dark show.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37987

              #1086
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Just rewatched the train robbery episode again in the background while I was working. When they're loading the water into the tanks, Todd asks Walt about the need for water. Walt defers to Jesse since it was his idea. Jesse explains that train robbing is a major rap, and that "No one can ever know about this heist, got it?" He stammers, says "yes" and then Walt follows up, "Are you sure?"

              Walt is going to kill Todd.
              Todd already broke his promise not to talk about the heist. The info is out there, and its not in good hands.


              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #1087
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Todd already broke his promise not to talk about the heist. The info is out there, and its not in good hands.
                Yeah, the scene at the beginning of last night's episode is what prompted me to post that. I think the leverage is going to force Walt to kill the skinheads that Todd told, and Todd too.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • UVACoug
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 2685

                  #1088
                  Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                  My wife and I were just screaming at him to go to Alaska. Just go. Jesse is the one character I root for in this. I have a mild dislike for Marie, I loathe Hank and Skyler, and Walt needs to die, but Jesse, run.
                  I would have been pissed if they ended Jesse's story like that. I want him to come out on top as much as anyone, but he has has such a small role since the end of season four that it would be a travesty if the writers can't give him his due before the finale. Having him quietly go to Alaska would have been an admission that the writers didn't know what else to do with him. Glad he is still in the picture.

                  Comment

                  • UVACoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 2685

                    #1089
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    I forgot about Vince ("where the f*** is Wallace?!"). I haven't seen Fruitvale Station, but considering the oscar buzz it is getting, he jumps to the head of the pack. *


                    *All of this is talking about the kids. Coach and Mrs. Coach are obviously on a different level.
                    Michael B. Jordan is by far the best thing about Fruitvale Station. Overall, I wasn't that big of a fan of the movie ... but it is worth seeing for Michael B. Jordan (who is great in everything). Scott Porter has been in a few shows. He was a recurring character in The Good Wife for a while. Zach Gilford has starred in a few shows that got quickly cancelled. Minka Kelly and Michael B. Jordan were both on Parenthood for a while. Minka Kelly is also playing Jacky Kennedy in The Butler (which sounds like a terrible idea ... she is a terrible actress, in my opinion). Smash Williams is on Gray's Anatomy. Most of the kids have done stuff to varying levels of success.

                    Comment

                    • UVACoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 2685

                      #1090
                      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                      Anna Gunn doesn't like how the Internets feel about Skylar:

                      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/op...sue.html?_r=2&

                      Kind of a counter-productive article Anna.
                      I agree that the Skyler hate is over the top, and the Anna Gunn hate is pathetic and scary. I don't agree with her take on why there is so much hate for her character though. I think for most people it has very little to do with misogyny. The problem I have with Skyler (who I think is played brilliantly by Anna Gunn) has nothing to do with her standing up to Walt or being a strong female character. My problem with her is that for all the talk and all the drama, she is actually a pretty weak human being. Of all the characters on the show, she seems to be the most unprincipled. I'm not saying she is more "bad" than Walt in any kind of moral sense, but at least Walt seems to have a code he lives by. Skyler likes to pretend like her priority is protecting her family, but if she really cared about her family she would have taken her kids and ran away at the beginning of the third season. She would have gone to the police and gone into witness protection. Instead, she decides that saving face and avoiding embarrassment is more important than the safety of her kids. Once she makes that decision, it is all down hill from there ... to the point where she is enabling and supporting Walt in his crimes. How is this protecting her family? She can't seriously think that Walt has no enemies and can keep them all safe. She is delusional and crazy, and that has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman.

                      Comment

                      • Non Sequitur
                        Where did I put my bodkin
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5773

                        #1091
                        Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                        I agree that the Skyler hate is over the top, and the Anna Gunn hate is pathetic and scary. I don't agree with her take on why there is so much hate for her character though. I think for most people it has very little to do with misogyny. The problem I have with Skyler (who I think is played brilliantly by Anna Gunn) has nothing to do with her standing up to Walt or being a strong female character. My problem with her is that for all the talk and all the drama, she is actually a pretty weak human being. Of all the characters on the show, she seems to be the most unprincipled. I'm not saying she is more "bad" than Walt in any kind of moral sense, but at least Walt seems to have a code he lives by. Skyler likes to pretend like her priority is protecting her family, but if she really cared about her family she would have taken her kids and ran away at the beginning of the third season. She would have gone to the police and gone into witness protection. Instead, she decides that saving face and avoiding embarrassment is more important than the safety of her kids. Once she makes that decision, it is all down hill from there ... to the point where she is enabling and supporting Walt in his crimes. How is this protecting her family? She can't seriously think that Walt has no enemies and can keep them all safe. She is delusional and crazy, and that has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman.
                        That's a nice explanation, but I think you're giving too much credit to men. Anna Gunn is right...for the most part, guys hate here because they think she's a ball breaker.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #1092
                          Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                          Michael B. Jordan is by far the best thing about Fruitvale Station. Overall, I wasn't that big of a fan of the movie ... but it is worth seeing for Michael B. Jordan (who is great in everything). Scott Porter has been in a few shows. He was a recurring character in The Good Wife for a while. Zach Gilford has starred in a few shows that got quickly cancelled. Minka Kelly and Michael B. Jordan were both on Parenthood for a while. Minka Kelly is also playing Jacky Kennedy in The Butler (which sounds like a terrible idea ... she is a terrible actress, in my opinion). Smash Williams is on Gray's Anatomy. Most of the kids have done stuff to varying levels of success.
                          Porter is also a lead character on Hart of Dixie and recently had a main role in that movie The To Do List with Aubrey Plaza. But Michael B. Jordan definitely has the best career ahead of him at this moment. Though I will say that if I did a PT Anderson movie AND one of the greatest TV shows of all time (as Landry now has), I might die of elation. Which reminds me, btw, how great is it to see Landry do scenes with Herc on BB? lol.

                          Anyway, this show is absolutely sticking the landing.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #1093
                            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                            Anna Gunn doesn't like how the Internets feel about Skylar:

                            http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/op...sue.html?_r=2&

                            Kind of a counter-productive article Anna.
                            How is that counterproductive? I think you may have just proved her point with that response.

                            Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                            I agree that the Skyler hate is over the top, and the Anna Gunn hate is pathetic and scary. I don't agree with her take on why there is so much hate for her character though. I think for most people it has very little to do with misogyny. The problem I have with Skyler (who I think is played brilliantly by Anna Gunn) has nothing to do with her standing up to Walt or being a strong female character. My problem with her is that for all the talk and all the drama, she is actually a pretty weak human being. Of all the characters on the show, she seems to be the most unprincipled. I'm not saying she is more "bad" than Walt in any kind of moral sense, but at least Walt seems to have a code he lives by. Skyler likes to pretend like her priority is protecting her family, but if she really cared about her family she would have taken her kids and ran away at the beginning of the third season. She would have gone to the police and gone into witness protection. Instead, she decides that saving face and avoiding embarrassment is more important than the safety of her kids. Once she makes that decision, it is all down hill from there ... to the point where she is enabling and supporting Walt in his crimes. How is this protecting her family? She can't seriously think that Walt has no enemies and can keep them all safe. She is delusional and crazy, and that has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman.
                            I don't think we've seen the full extent of Skylar's character development. She's a tough woman who has had a lot thrown at her and while she has caved on some of her principles, I think we'll see her moral strength return to her before it all unravels.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #1094
                              I've mostly liked Skylar. Maybe I just have a thing for large breasted nurturing types. She went downhill for a couple seasons, but she's back.

                              Comment

                              • Art Vandelay
                                Striving for mediocrity
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 10516

                                #1095
                                Dean Norris (Hank) talks about how BB will end.

                                Comment

                                Working...